Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #1901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
Yesterday I worked 5 hrs in the local food bank warehouse. Today it is too gloomy out to think of doing much but I do have a stained glass window's frame to refinish I may just go back to bed.
About 50 miles SW of Denver the sky is blue and it is a glorious morning. The Platte river just to my north and 2000 ft below is socked in. All I see there is the clouds rolling through the river valley.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #1902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went to my brother's today to watch house movers move a 1000 sq ft house from beams in the driveway onto the foundation. Unfortunately, due to equipment problems they were only able to get the house alongside the foundation before they called it a day.

I'm heading back tomorrow to see it dropped on the foundation, and will then help install the 8 basement windows he purchased.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #1903

Took Skittles to Pet Therapy training and registered for the test in November to get certified. Rushed home as we were almost set to head out in the RV for my annual beach fix. Went out to lower the wheelchair lift for DH and ***crickets***. Tried everything I could think of then drove it over to the local service place. After an hour of troubleshooting with the factory, it needs a new circuit board, which isn't in stock. Part won't arrive until Friday or Monday, so the trip is off. Super bummed. Spent the rest of the afternoon unloading and figuring out when we can reschedule - probably not until mid-October. On the bright side, much better to fail before we leave - it's a real pain to operate it manually, so much so that if it had failed after we were on the road, we'd have to come home immediately.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #1904
Give me a forum ...

Started installing a wireless security camera system so I can keep a look when traveling.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #1905
Moderator Emeritus

Went to see Sully. $5 tickets and $4 popcorn. Cheap as it gets around here. Great movie. Unbelievable how they landed that plane without any deaths.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #1906
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to see Sully. $5 tickets and $4 popcorn. Cheap as it gets around here. Great movie. Unbelievable how they landed that plane without any deaths.

I concur; good movie, and, though there was likely some "artistic" license involved, I really enjoyed near the end where Sully gives the bureaucrats the finger, figuratively, of course.

I was roped into going with a friend on Sunday afternoon, so the ticket was $12.95 and the popcorn/soda that I should have skipped was $13!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #1907
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I concur; good movie, and, though there was likely some "artistic" license involved, I really enjoyed near the end where Sully gives the bureaucrats the finger, figuratively, of course.

I was roped into going with a friend on Sunday afternoon, so the ticket was $12.95 and the popcorn/soda that I should have skipped was $13!
Talking to those in the know; it was very accurate. Except for making the NTSB the bad guys, that was the artistic license. You have to have a bad guy, right? Couldn't make it the geese!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #1908

Today is my birthday. For the first time in at least 30 years, DH and I went out to LUNCH on my birthday. We had a late lunch, basically between the lunch and dinner crowds that fill a local family owned Greek restaurant in our town. We were quite full after a gyro and splitting an order of Greek seasoned fries, so we took dessert home to have after band practice tonight. I decided to do no housework or yardwork today as my present to myself. I'm on the computer designing a program for a concert this weekend. Last night I got 4 mosquito bites through my pants while weeding. I treated all exposed areas with DEET. Now I'll have to go get a permethrin product to spray my clothes. This weather is beautiful and I can't enjoy it because of the mosquitos. Grrrrr!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #1909

This morning, as I often do when the weather is nice, I walked two miles to the supermarket for a small bag of groceries. In most cases, this would be negligible, but the way to the market is almost entirely downhill, and the way home is uphill. I just think of it as good exercise. On my way home, one of my neighbors encountered me as she drove out somewhere. She has seen me do this several times, and she stopped me this morning.

"My daughter is a walker and a runner, and so is her husband, but they always drive to where they exercise. I told her about you, and she said she would never even consider walking up and down that hill. It's crazy."

I thanked her for the compliment and said her daughter would probably better appreciate the value of the exercise when she got older.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #1910

DH and I arrived yesterday in Rhode Island to visit friends.

We spent today walking around Newport. My family history in RI goes back a few
hundred years, so I enjoy just checking it all out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #1911
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Todays my birthday. I'm officially eligible for my microscopic pensions (age 55). Should get autodeposited beginning of next month.

It's been a mixed bag of a day. Walked on the beach with the dog (good). Took a test in my online class (not fun, but I got a 94%). Participated with DH in a free (to me) cooking class at Sur La Table. (Schwab financial consultant invited us). Learned some new techniques. Now I'm home watching netflix and trying to get my kids to be less annoying.

DH is supposed to make me dinner tonight... but is complaining that he's full from the lunch at the cooking school.... But he did just go out to start the charcoal to cook our steaks.
Happy Birthday from a fellow Southern Californian! I have lots of family down your way in Scripps Ranch and La Jolla. Beautiful place to live.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Today is my birthday. For the first time in at least 30 years, DH and I went out to LUNCH on my birthday. We had a late lunch, basically between the lunch and dinner crowds that fill a local family owned Greek restaurant in our town. We were quite full after a gyro and splitting an order of Greek seasoned fries, so we took dessert home to have after band practice tonight. I decided to do no housework or yardwork today as my present to myself. I'm on the computer designing a program for a concert this weekend. Last night I got 4 mosquito bites through my pants while weeding. I treated all exposed areas with DEET. Now I'll have to go get a permethrin product to spray my clothes. This weather is beautiful and I can't enjoy it because of the mosquitos. Grrrrr!
Happy Birthday! Today's mine, as well. I went fishing.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #1913

Emailed my latest PhD submission to my supervisor - 20,000 words on science fiction and postmodernism for him to read over the long weekend.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #1914

DD gets married tomorrow at the Kid's Camp up here. Today is reception set-up day, rehearsal, and then a pot luck for friends and family from across the country. DD has put this all together. It will be fantastic!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #1915
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
DD gets married tomorrow at the Kid's Camp up here. Today is reception set-up day, rehearsal, and then a pot luck for friends and family from across the country. DD has put this all together. It will be fantastic!
What fun for such a special day! Congrats and please turn in your Hermit credentials--it sounds like you have moved on to post-Hermit!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #1916

Hermit, Congrats and have a great day.
What did you do today? 2016 version
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #1917

What did you do today? 2016 version

My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine. I carpool to band practice picking someone up each week. I went to pick her up and she looked like she had just woke up. She said she was sick and wasn't going. She gave told me to get her music and take it to practice. I got to worrying about her unusual behavior and called her after practice. She was incoherent. I went to her apartment and found that she had been lying/sitting on the sofa for at least 24 hrs without getting up. I commanded her to stand up which she did without difficulty, but her brain wasn't working right.

I decided to drive her to the ER rather than call an ambulance because she is beyond dirt poor. She was in early septic shock. I stayed at the hospital until it was clear she was going to be OK.

She's sees me as a friend and yet I don't see her as a friend. She uses people around her, makes poor decisions, and makes no effort to take care of herself. She is morbidly obese. She has a master's degree but works 3rd shift at Walmart.

I saved her life but I'm embarrassed to be around her. We are connected by the carpool to band. I'm at a quandary as she needs help, has little family (53 years old, only child, parents deceased), and I don't want to keep giving her help. What a strange position to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #1918
Give me a forum ...

Got my choppers cleaned at the dentist, had a nice sashimi and tempura lunch.

At 6:00 I go pick up the girlfriend, we have a nice supper with cocktails and wine and go see the Pat Travers concert.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #1919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine.
I saved her life but I'm embarrassed to be around her. We are connected by the carpool to band. I'm at a quandary as she needs help, has little family (53 years old, only child, parents deceased), and I don't want to keep giving her help. What a strange position to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Sorry about the ruined birthday.

See, can't get the doctor out of a retiree.

Most of us I'm sure had someone as a user to deal with. Generosity has limits. In my past, a clinging user's tough love involved leaving them to the their own devices. Unfortunately the results are messy. I do not have regrets of any sort.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #1920
Administrator

I went to the cemetery where DF rests to understand how to relocate him to a Veteran's cemetery (his original wish and DM's desire ever since). They require not only her authorization but also the approval (via notarized signature) of all living children. Huh? Each child has final word and veto power on a matter involving the parents wishes? When I pointed out no such requirement was applied when he was buried there, she smiled, stood, shook my hand and let me know the meeting was over. I am not certain this relocation will take place.
Closed Thread