Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #2001
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
On monday, spent a beautiful day hiking into the san juan mountains for some fall color.

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02412.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #2002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
On monday, spent a beautiful day hiking into the san juan mountains for some fall color.

Attachment 24737

Attachment 24738

Attachment 24739
Awesome color.

Took this one of a Mule deer resting, didn't notice the other one till later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1475171373835.jpg (161.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #2003

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Awesome color.

Took this one of a Mule deer resting, didn't notice the other one till later.
Thanks -
you must also be in the same geographic area - that landscape looks very familar!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #2004
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks -
you must also be in the same geographic area - that landscape looks very familar!
Probably 70 miles East of where I think you are. That's taken just below our home, the edge of SJNF.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #2005
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Stunning photos. It's hard to beat the San Juans in the fall. Gorgeous!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #2006

Slept late but still managed to make it to the gym by 1:00.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #2007
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready for figure skating season, checked skates, gloves etc. the rink is open again. In prep went to see DW's favorite chiropractor for a tuneup and alignment. Tomorrow first skating session since April.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Stunning photos. It's hard to beat the San Juans in the fall. Gorgeous!
thanks, and yes you are right about that
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #2009

We're out for a short RV escape and when I took the dog out for a walk after dinner, I saw a bright moving object in the sky. Checked it out and confirmed it was the ISS. Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #2010
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did weekly volunteer work @ the Veterans Resource Center. Helped a Vet process his paperwork for VA healthcare.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #2011

Got fired from my part-time job today. So did everyone else in the local office so it livened up an otherwise dull Friday afternoon. I had six calls/e-mails from headhunters by day's end (no plans to return any of them).

I'll miss having an office/secretary in the CBD and most of the people, but otherwise no big deal given my circumstances. More concerned with some of the younger people whose careers will be disrupted. I'll probably spend some time over the next few weeks helping them polish cvs etc.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #2012
Dryer sheet wannabe

talked my friend into going to a bar to listen to some Slovenian group. to my surpsrise our local group that played first impressed me more and now i've got sore throat because we tried to talk despite all of that noise and crazy screaming
Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #2013
Recycles dryer sheets

Walked 18 holes at a course I had never player before yesterday. Typical mediocre score. Watching the Ryder Cup today. Walking 18 at a different course tomorrow. It's a tough life.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #2014
Give me a forum ...

I also walked 18 today on a course that's just 5 minutes from my house with a friend I had worked with for 25 years (he still has 3 to go). We then had a couple "pops" after the round on my deck and I bbq'd some burgers.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #2015

Was at the Bogleheads' Reunion in Philadelphia then drove to NYC for the Notre Dame - Syracuse game tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #2016
Moderator Emeritus

In Kentucky to attend the annual Kentucky Apple Festival in Paintsville.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #2017
Give me a forum ...

Went to a Pink Floyd tribute band concert last night. Not really a fan of tribute bands, but tickets were inexpensive, so what the heck... I'd give the band a "B-" musically, but the laser light show was pretty good.

Perhaps being a guitarist, and having done front-end mixing in the past, makes me overly critical, but the lead guitar was painfully louder than the rest of the band, vocals were so-so, and the band struggled on a couple of tunes. Doesn't help that I saw the real PF three times...

Wild old man weekend continues tonight with an Andy Timmons show, with Chris Duarte as the opening act.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #2018

Oven was pre-heating when a flash and a small sound was noticed. So much for the planned cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Stove part still working. Did some investigating and determined the electronic control board for the oven had a portion of the circuit burned out and let the smoke out, under the relay area. A high current location, but why now vs being several years old? In good LBYM fashion found a rebuilt board on ebay for $79 vs $190 range for a new board. Rebuilt board has 6 mo warranty and claims to be fully tested, so hopefully it is good for longer than warranty. Looks like no baking for next week approximately until the new board gets here.

Figures something would go wrong, as I just bought DW a new vehicle yesterday. A 2016 Ford Explorer, between the Ford extra cash incentives and hitting the dealer hard on last day of the month and quarter. Bought the vehicle for my net cost about $4700 under dealer invoice (incl $3000 of Ford extra cash incentive), which of course is not really the dealer's true cost, or $6000 under MSRP. I would have taken used, but I got this for near what a used one with 30K miles would be selling for. Since it is a long term purchase, not worried about being a 2016 vs 2017. Have had my current 1997 Expedition for 18 years now, trying to figure out if give the Expedition to a younger relative or just sell it. Nothing wrong with it, just 20 years old and 185K miles, so in spite of real good condition and my regular PM, it is not worth much. DW will get the new Explorer, and I will start driving her previous 2008 Ford Edge I guess. The Explorer is the first new car I have bought in about 30 years.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #2019
Administrator

Chose my fall-back health care plan from Fl BCBS this afternoon. Premium is around 52% more than what I am paying this year, but at least I still have access to a plan with broad nation-wide coverage. More fortunate than many in other states.

Also visited our neighbor. Poor folks - they're in their mid-80's, he has Alzheimer's and is declining rapidly. She needs help, and I've been going over 2 or 3 times a week to help her make their living environment more suitable for their situation, and also to help fix things - mostly computer and A/V. And to sit and visit. She has a hard road ahead.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #2020

Just got done winterizing the swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler in scientific terms). Job would not be as bad except the swamp cooler is up on the roof, which is a metal roof. Gets very slick when wet. Winterizing means getting it drained of water, removing the mineral encrusted pads, and general cleaning of it inside and out before wrapping it with a cover. So getting wet is part of the process. Not a fun job trying to stand on sloped roof and work while not slipping and potentially falling off the roof.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Closed Thread