Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #2441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... the installers had neglected to light the heater last September...
I am surprised that home heaters still use a pilot light. In my motorhome, the water heater, the furnace, and the refrigerator that run off propane all have electronic ignition.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #2442
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am surprised that home heaters still use a pilot light. In my motorhome, the water heater, the furnace, and the refrigerator that run off propane all have electronic ignition.
Who said anything about pilot lights? Not me, not the HVAC guy. Just you.

This is powered by natural gas, which heats the vast majority of homes around here. He did not explain the details to me, and I did not go up into the attic to watch. Therefore I have quoted to you the actual word for word explanation from the HVAC provider (NOT providing you with an explanation directly from me). He never mentioned the words "pilot light" but simply said that the installers had neglected to light the heater.

One rational interpretation of his explanation might be that it simply was not set up correctly (in such a way so that the electronic ignition could light the heater). Perhaps not connected to the gas line. Feel free to formulate your own interpretation of his explanation as you wish.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #2443
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was kind of surprised at that also as I thought newer home natural gas fired furnaces were electronic ignition these days.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #2444

Not exactly a fun day, but necessary to get ready for our first snow storm. Looks like we're going to get 4-8 inches. Checked the groceries and ended up needing a couple thinks. Started my snow blower and cleared my driveway of any debris. I'm good to go. Not what I want to do, but glad to have some advance warning - especially for the first one.

I also went and learned a little bit about violins. Me and a friend at work adopt a family and this year the young lady (13) wants a violin. She's in a program through school, so I wanted to get something a little better than just good enough. Met some people in a intercity program and they helped me out. I'll pick up a violin next week. Was an interesting couple of hours and I hope the young lady will be happy.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #2445
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was kind of surprised at that also as I thought newer home natural gas fired furnaces were electronic ignition these days.
I was surprised and confused that NW-Bound brought up that idea, too. Doesn't make sense to me either, but maybe that's how they do it where he lives?

Edited to add: Aha, after some browsing on the internet, I discovered that electronic igniters on natural gas heaters have an "off" position and they are apparently set in the "off" position until they are installed. So, you have to manually move that switch and turn it on as part of the installation. That makes a whole lot more sense than a pilot light (to me, anyway).

OK, back to the thread topic. Another thing I did today, was to have lunch with dear Frank. I ordered soup and just water to drink, and he ate a whole pizza and diet Coke. If I am ever reincarnated I'd like to become a person who could eat like that and stay healthy like he does.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #2446
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we walked the snow covered roads. Bit icy from frequent thawing and freezing. I was very careful till I took my eyes away for a second and boom. Oh how stupid, caught myself with my left hand and now hyper extended thumb. Its might be a pretty color in another day. Whacked my head on the ice pretty well. I have a bad c-spine and hope this doesn't trigger the same crapola that happens after a fender bender.

Today I am making legal medicinal brownies, gotta kill the pain. Made canna oil for three hours with 7 grams of trim. Then use the oil in nice dark chocolate brownies.

Last batch I used 3.5 grams of trim they were very tasty. Based on those these guys are going to be good. I'll cut the brownies in half to start. Tried one despite it being a little warm, very good.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #2447
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walked for a few miles this morning, out in the cold. I feel good when I get outdoors, so even though the windchill was 15 degrees I bunched up and went. Then this afternoon I sat in front of the fire and finished writing our Christmas cards. Now there's turkey soup simmering for a light supper before we go out this evening for a community event.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #2448
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yesterday we walked the snow covered roads. Bit icy from frequent thawing and freezing. I was very careful till I took my eyes away for a second and boom. Oh how stupid, caught myself with my left hand and now hyper extended thumb. Its might be a pretty color in another day. Whacked my head on the ice pretty well. I have a bad c-spine and hope this doesn't trigger the same crapola that happens after a fender bender.

Today I am making legal medicinal brownies, gotta kill the pain. Made canna oil for three hours with 7 grams of trim. Then use the oil in nice dark chocolate brownies.

Last batch I used 3.5 grams of trim they were very tasty. Based on those these guys are going to be good. I'll cut the brownies in half to start. Tried one despite it being a little warm, very good.
That sounds like a dreadful fall! If it was me, I'd ditch the brownies and go for multiple ice packs and your favorite OTC pain killer. Plus spending a day in the recliner might not be a bad idea too, depending on how your c-spine injury reacts to that. Maybe ice down your cervical spine too. Maybe get your thumb x-rayed if you think it could be broken. Maybe get some input from somebody who knows what they are talking about (I don't but just think your fall sounds so painful).

Old 12-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #2449
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was surprised and confused that NW-Bound brought up that idea, too. Doesn't make sense to me either, but maybe that's how they do it where he lives?

Edited to add: Aha, after some browsing on the internet, I discovered that electronic igniters on natural gas heaters have an "off" position and they are apparently set in the "off" position until they are installed. So, you have to manually move that switch and turn it on as part of the installation. That makes a whole lot more sense than a pilot light (to me, anyway).

OK, back to the thread topic. Another thing I did today, was to have lunch with dear Frank. I ordered soup and just water to drink, and he ate a whole pizza and diet Coke. If I am ever reincarnated I'd like to become a person who could eat like that and stay healthy like he does.
Frank did have a diet Coke though!

When I was in the Air Force as a young man, I remember eating a whole large pizza with no real effort and maintaining 150 pounds and a 30" waist. Now I just look at pizza and my belt starts to tighten.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #2450
Give me a forum ...

Got up on the roof and blew out the gutters again. Weather man was right, said a lotta rain and voila, we have a lotta rain.

Then took my girlfriend out for sushi and saki, went to the hardware and bought some masonry chisels for my stove project.

Now I'm tired from brickin' and I'mma gonna start drinkin!
Old 12-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #2451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sounds like a dreadful fall! If it was me, I'd ditch the brownies and go for multiple ice packs and your favorite OTC pain killer. Plus spending a day in the recliner might not be a bad idea too, depending on how your c-spine injury reacts to that. Maybe ice down your cervical spine too. Maybe get your thumb x-rayed if you think it could be broken. Maybe get some input from somebody who knows what they are talking about (I don't but just think your fall sounds so painful).
Thanks WR2, Been using ice and ibuprofen all day. Already ate a brownie, now what?

I feel better already, pains gone. I'm taking it very easy and the recliner feels great. Was watching the sunset but it's gone now.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #2452
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks WR2, Been using ice and ibuprofen all day. Already ate a brownie, now what?

I feel better already, pains gone. I'm taking it very easy and the recliner feels great. Was watching the sunset but it's gone now.
Oh good!!! It makes me happy to read this. Sounds like you have it figured out and I'm so glad the pain is gone.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #2453

Quote:
I know, it sounds awful, doesn't it!

When I first retired, I went for about a year without an alarm (for the first time since pre-school age). No spouse, no pets to awaken me so I was strictly depending on my biological clock. I discovered something rather "alarming" about myself. For me, what happens is that I start staying up an hour later each night than the previous night, and then sleeping an hour later in the morning, making for a 25 hour day. I end up sleeping when the rest of the world is awake, and when I am awake everyone I know is asleep, all businesses are closed, and there is nothing on TV. This is no fun. While being awake in the middle of the night is bad enough, what's worse is that the time span when one is awake keeps changing when living 25 hour days.

After trying to correct that for a year, I finally decided that by gosh, I had had enough. I don't use my "BLATT!!!!!" (going to work) alarm clock, but instead I have set up an alarm system that plays soft, soothing bird chirping sounds. Being a light sleeper, that awakens me gently within 5-10 minutes. It's not ideal, but so far that's the best solution that I have found.
I am exactly the opposite. I would probably run on a 23 hour day. Sometimes I have to force myself to stay up until 9:00. Sometimes I don't make it that long. I usually wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 and get up a half hour to an hour later. That is so much better than jumping out of bed to make it to work on time!
Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #2454
Moderator Emeritus

I am hiding from the snow that started. I learned our library has elending via Hoopla, 15 titles a month, ebooks and audiobooks, plus another service or two with the same capability but fewer titles allowed, so maybe 25 a month total (not to mention the Prime/Kindle users book benefit that I still don't understand how to use :. I told DH I might not leave the house again for a couple of months....
Old 12-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
There have been a number of discussions here in the past about the cheapo TurboTax sites, although I couldn't find one with a quick search. The consensus is that buying the cheap versions from a company that has to change domain names every year is risky, inasmuch as you never know what they've done with the software, creating risks like identity theft.

Having said that, I used a cheapo version a few years ago, and never had a problem afaik. Just thought you might like to know.
If you have Fido accounts, you can get TurboTax for free.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #2456
Administrator

I ran the lawnmower over all the straggler leaves on my lawn until it ran out of gas. Then I changed the blade, oil, air filter, and spark plug, cleaned it and put it away for the winter. Watched my football team lose the most important game of the year, then took the young wife out to dinner for her birthday.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #2457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Edited to add: Aha, after some browsing on the internet, I discovered that electronic igniters on natural gas heaters have an "off" position and they are apparently set in the "off" position until they are installed. So, you have to manually move that switch and turn it on as part of the installation. That makes a whole lot more sense than a pilot light (to me, anyway)...
It does not matter where one lives nowadays, because the same new appliances are made by a few companies and used throughout the country. I just don't know what the current standard is. I didn't know I was offending anyone.

My current homes are all electric, but I lived in older homes where the gas furnace and the water heater had a pilot light that one had to keep burning. Hence, I was surprised by the phrase "light the heater" that your serviceman used.

By the way, the furnace and water heater in my RV have electronic ignition, but the range has an old-fashioned pilot light. Why? Just because.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #2458
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I ran the lawnmower over all the straggler leaves on my lawn until it ran out of gas.
I bought a new cordless electric mower with a catch bag this summer. A pleasant added benefit is that it vacuums up a single layer of leaves clean as a whistle!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #2459
Give me a forum ...

Last night, my children invited us to dinner at our favorite restaurant which happened to be French. It was for a belated BD celebration. I was pleasantly surprised to see my niece and her husband there too. They gave me more booze as gifts. My liquor cabinet is overflowing, as I just bought some myself.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #2460
Give me a forum ...

I have martinis chilling in the freezer, Sukju Namul (Korean bean sprout salad) and some nice ahi steaks thawed.

Seared Ahi and sprouts tonight!
Closed Thread