Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #2481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Costco parking lot is often like a zoo, particularly in the holiday season.

I now park at the far end of the lot. It gives me a bit more exercise walking to/from the store. I have no need nor desire for that fancy schmancy Fitbit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #2482
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today worked with DS3 on his physical therapy (recovering from knee surgery), prepped the house for my recovery next week and packed a bag for DW to bring to the hospital with clothes to come home in after my knee replacement surgery. Am about to finish my last water of the day then nothing until after surgery.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #2483
Give me a forum ...

We are in the process of packing to move from a 2700 square foot house to a 2 bedroom apartment. As a result we are giving away furniture that we will no longer need, on Freecycle. Today we gave away a dining room table, china closet and buffet (Salvation Army, etc will not even take these). The couple that showed up were ringers for George Castanza's parents on the old Seinfield sitcom. I finally gave up and helped them load up the stuff to hurry them on their way.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #2484
Moderator Emeritus

Walked from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean and back. Maybe about 3 miles.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #2485
Give me a forum ...

I thought the causeway in Key West was not that wide.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #2486
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought the causeway in Key West was not that wide.

Good point. I should have walked it there instead across the Key West mainland. But the mainland is more exciting.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #2487
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got home and the postman had delivered the new dryer heating element. So proceeded to change out the element and get dryer back to good working condition, DW is happy!

Dryer crapped out on Mon, DW says not getting hot. I quickly took it apart and determined the element had broken as I suspected. Took old one out, found P/N and searched quick online, found new one for $21 delivered cost on ebay. Ordered up, got notice of shipped out Tues morning, and it arrived today (Thurs). Price from online appliance parts places was around $41-44 plus shipping.

This morning my gate opener was not working right. Batteries must be low on voltage, and they are kept charged by solar panel. So tonight I rigged up a spare older 12v car battery so it can operate. Ordered up a couple new batteries for cheap $33 delivered, on ebay again. Will install those when they arrive and after I give them a full charge. The batteries are the smaller sealed lead acid type, about the size of typical motorcycle batteries. They fit inside the gate controller box.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #2488

Woke up to rain... much needed rain - but that put a crimp in my normal routine to walk the dog on the beach. (I go in the drizzle or off/on showers... but this was a steady soaking rain.)

Came home from taking the kids to the bus and did a little review of my last 3 chapters then took the final exam for the intro to accounting class I've been taking online through the community college. Nice thing about the online course - I saw the grade immediately... I did well enough to lock in my "a" for the class. Not sure why I care about grades at this point in my life....

Then DH and I put new windshield wipers on my car... DH couldn't figure out how the clippy things worked... So I had to step in and help him. LOL.

Went to lunch at the local Italian joint....

Kids are now home from school and officially on Christmas break. They're grumpy with me because I'm insisting they still do the normal routine of piano practice, chores, etc... So I've got nice background music while I type this.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #2489

Woke up to rain here as well, but it was tapering off so went ahead and met my GF for an invigorating seven mile hike. We started off in light rain, which was actually fun in that it was still fairly mild, temperature wise. Along the way we encountered a lot of puddles and mud, plus a gorgeous flock of white pelicans.

After returning home and showering, I had lunch then took a quick recovery nap (chagrined to admit that I now need naps following hard workouts ). Spent a big chunk of the afternoon researching films for an upcoming film festival we're attending. Watched a Great Learning Courses about the history of Opera with DH, opened our weekly bottle of wine and enjoyed a glass before starting dinner, which was veggie burgers along with sauteed sweet potatoes, red onions and bell peppers. Bundled up (the California version anyway) and walked up the street to see holiday lights. An electronic jigsaw puzzle kept me happily occupied upon our return up until lights out time.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #2490

Took garbage can full of leaves to recycling, only to see a big sign saying it was closed until 1/2/2017! Eased my pain by stopping at beer store. Bought another case of the English ale I love, still on sale. Also scored a case of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA at half off! It's past its expiration date, hence the sale price, but it's really good, tastes even better since I got it at a great price.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #2491

Slept in until almost 10 this morning after not getting home until late after last night's concert playing Charpentier's Midnight Mass with a wonderful vocal ensemble. I've really enjoyed this week - rehearsals Monday and Wednesday, performance last night and another tomorrow. This is the sort of musical apprenticeship I wish I had gotten in my 20's, working alongside some top-notch musicians playing music that I love. Makes me feel young
Santa Train
Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #2492

Santa Train

I am getting ready to don my bib overalls and conductor's hat to work the local tourist train. Next month we are starting restoration work on a diesel switch engine that was donated to our railroad society.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #2493

Debating if I should go out and shovel the 6 inches of snow that just finished falling or let nature take its course. Weather is calling for rain tomorrow with temps near 50 deg.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #2494
Administrator

Got up early and shoveled snow. Went to get my driver's license renewed. Now I'm in the middle of smoking a turkey breast and two chicken breasts.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #2495
Recycles dryer sheets

Got over the initial shock that we got 9" of snow instead of the predicted 2-4". Then made a bet (bribe) with DD that if she got her loose tooth out today, I would buy her this toy she wants. Of course, 5 minutes later, she has the tooth out. We have been trying to get this tooth out for 4 months because it is behind an adult tooth that is fully in. So, we bundled up, went to lunch, then to Target to get the toy.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #2496

Got up at 0-dark-30 (well, 6:45, but anything before 7 is too early now) as today was our big Christmas Festival of Carols at church. About 90 singers (2nd grade to 80+), 30 piece orchestra, and teens doing liturgical dance. More than 800 folks attended between the two services even though it was 26 degrees this morning (I know that's not cold for some of you but it never got this cold at all last winter). This is the 17th year we've done it and I still get chills singing every year. Most of the carols were written or arranged by John Rutter - here's a YouTube of one of his newest pieces that we did today. It is very touching as he wrote it to benefit the Red Balloon Learner Centre that works with severely bullied children.

Now I'm catching up online, paying bills, etc., and may wrap some gifts this afternoon if DS goes out. I'm staying in and cooking chicken noodle soup for dinner this evening - just the thing for a frigid day.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #2497
Give me a forum ...

I have not done a lot today, other than surfin' the Web, and went out to the backyard to see how the winter veggie garden is doing. My wife is in the hospital, watching out for my mother-in-law who got pneumonia.

I am going to log off to go for a walk. Need to get the juices going.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #2498
Give me a forum ...

Received the check from our house closing. Teller said the proceeds would be available at midnight. I think restoring the cash buffer is done!

Proceeded to take one dog who is getting fussy about eating to the new vet. Not sure if the little dog(shitzu mix) is playing food games or has a problem. We thought she was having dental issues but it's impossible to fully examine her mouth. Vet did some blood work, unfortunately it has to be sent out. Then she needs dental cleaning.... It was a reality check when I spent a few hundred on an office visit and some blood work.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #2499

We took our second 900 pound of mostly food and some clothing to a migrant community food pantry and shelter. They are about 1.25 hour south of the city and have great need for everything.

We made one run last week right before an ice storm hit and took a lot of fresh produce that would have frozen in our garage. Today we took the heavy stuff: flour, sugar and cooking oil along with a lot of canned food.

It is much more efficient to write a check to the big food bank, but we wanted to donate to a migrant community this year.

It's nice to have our garage and freezer space back.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #2500

I took the plow truck in to a welder to get the mounting frame straightened out and rewelded. Hopefully I will get it back in time to get it in to have the front end alignment checked out. I think I bent a tie rod. It is supposed to snow on Friday. I hope I have it back by then.
Closed Thread