Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I just read yesterday that the average Westerner gains over 2 kg (around 5 lbs) during the last week of the year. Sounds incredible but thinking about it I do seem to see that in some of the folks I know.
It's tough not to with all that food around. Here's some pics of yesterday's dinner table before the meal started. There was turkey, glazed ham, lamb, and ribs, plus all the normal side dishes. The days when I could do justice to a meal like that are sadly long gone. But I tried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas_2016 (6 of 52).jpg (147.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas_2016 (1 of 52).jpg (118.0 KB, 42 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #2542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I moved snow from my home for just about 8 hours. We had a blizzard with high winds and about 14 inches of snow. I had to remove snow from my roof with a roof rake. I pulled off about 4 pickup truck box full so far. I will pull some more off tomorrow. I pull it down on the patio then blow it off the patio repeat the process. My arms are tired but I can do more tomorrow because I can. Lol
Old 12-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #2543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I just read yesterday that the average Westerner gains over 2 kg (around 5 lbs) during the last week of the year. Sounds incredible but thinking about it I do seem to see that in some of the folks I know.
I believe it. I myself have gained 4 lbs recently, but that is counted from before Thanksgiving. Back to quinoa salad today.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #2544
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

cleaning out old financial paper records, so I shredded, shredded, shredded,

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #2545
Gone but not forgotten

Today I did absolutely nothing . I was tired from two days of festivities and the end of a cold so I hunkered down .
Old 12-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #2546
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up a few rolls of half price wrapping paper and gift tags at the store then went to lunch with DH and DD. Relaxed on the couch reading this afternoon.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #2547

We lost our heat in the house yesterday and the part wasn't available until 5 PM today. We have a great heater guy. Luckily, it hasn't been too cold here and the heater in the garage was working fine. So we camped in the garage.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #2548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I did absolutely nothing . I was tired from two days of festivities and the end of a cold so I hunkered down .

Same here, but I think I'm at the worst of my cold. Hopefully I have more energy tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #2549

Yesterday the oldest DD cleaned out her bedroom. She hasn't lived here in over four years but her room has served as depository for boxes, books, and assorted junk that accumulated as she moved from apartment to apartment. I finally told her enough is enough, I'm tired of looking at that mess. Now we have another load for the thrift store and a big bag for the trash can.

This afternoon after DD went home I gave the bedroom a thorough cleaning. The dust in there was disgusting, but I could never really clean in there with so much junk in the way. Now it is cleaner than it's been in four years and I wouldn't be embarrassed to have someone other than DD sleep there.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #2550

Started yesterday and today finished and ordered a 40-page photo book of pictures that I took on Christmas day. I ordered eight copies for various families and relatives. These are easy to lay out in Lightroom (photo software) and I had held on to a 40% off coupon that Blurb had sent about two months ago.

This is about the sixth or so photo book I've done of family events and they are always warmly received. And it's kind of a fun & relaxing thing to do.

This is one of the photos - the caption reads "A room full of new toys and I want to play with the orange!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas_2016 (40 of 52).jpg (122.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #2551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
- the caption reads "A room full of new toys and I want to play with the orange!"
We were with, among others, the 20 month old twin girls......one of them got enthralled by a couple drink coasters......we should have splurged and picked up an empty cardboard box!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Angel Flight
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #2552

Angel Flight

Flew a 66 year old leukemia patient and his daughter to UCLA for treatment. The information I got was that he spoke Farsi (Persian), so I had ordered a Farsi phrase book in case we needed to communicate.
This was the last flight for this year. We made 21 Angel Flights and 3 Pilots & Paws flights.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #2553
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Started yesterday and today finished and ordered a 40-page photo book of pictures that I took on Christmas day. I ordered eight copies for various families and relatives. These are easy to lay out in Lightroom (photo software) and I had held on to a 40% off coupon that Blurb had sent about two months ago.

This is about the sixth or so photo book I've done of family events and they are always warmly received. And it's kind of a fun & relaxing thing to do.

This is one of the photos - the caption reads "A room full of new toys and I want to play with the orange!"
Adorable. What a nice gift for the families, too.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #2554
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Great idea. I created a video and passed it out, but my MIL doesn't have a computer. I think I'll get her a book.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #2555

Last week I made a deal with the guy that delivered my rental propane tank. This is for my house which is under construction. He had one for sale and I agreed to buy it. He brought the one I bought out Friday, but forgot to put any propane in it. I had been running the furnace on the rental tank he took back with him. The new tank had just a wee bit in it, so the furnace fired up and ran ok. I turned on an electric space heater and left to spend Christmas with DD and her husband. I got back yesterday and the furnace was off, the tank empty was still fairly warm. I plugged in another space heater. All I am trying to do is make sure the basement floor does not freeze because there is probably water under it which could cause the concrete floor to heave. In the mean time, the furnace guy hooked up a thermal switch that was set to 65 degrees. The basement was quite warm when the furnace ran. Well, today the gas people made a special trip out and filled the tank. I had ordered an old fashioned thermostat that I can set at 50 degrees from Amazon and it arrived today and I got it hooked up. I should now be set for a reasonable temperature for the rest of the winter.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #2556

We are doing the decluttering. I went to local antique mall to look at the feasibility of selling our more valuable pieces. I think I would rather sell the stuff myself on eBay, after the junk I saw they were trying to sell.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #2557

Met with the plastic surgeon who is going to operate on me Jan. 18th.

Backstory: In early December I found a small raised black dot, about the size of a dulled pencil tip on the back of my right upper arm, surrounded by some red skin about the size of a dime. The only way to see it was look in a mirror. My first thought when I saw it was "I need to get this looked at!" and made the appointment with the dermatologist the same day, and got one for Dec. 15th. He said it was probably a keratosis which I've had before but carved out a good-sized dimple (about 1/2") and sent it to a lab. Two days before Christmas they called back and said it was malignant melanoma. Well, that's certainly a bummer!

So apparently the initial treatment is to start carving away skin at the site until the lab reports that there is no melanoma in the samples being sent back. They also check lymph nodes to see if it has spread there. And I have an appointment with an oncologist at the end of January so apparently there will be follow-ups there as well.

While this is certainly not good news, it is hardly a death sentence. I know several people who have dealt with it and are still around 20-30 years later. Key, of course, is has it spread and if so how far? And that I don't know yet so I am cautiously optimistic.

What a way to start off the new year.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #2558
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Damn, Walt. That's a real bummer. Hope they are satisfied with a thin, very short slice of bacon and don't decide they need a pork chop! My FIL lost the top half of his left ear the same way. He lasted another 25 years until a stroke got him at age 90.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #2559
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you caught it early, Walt. Good thoughts going out to you.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #2560
Administrator

Walt, let's hope this is one visit and out. Best wishes for an uneventful and speedy recovery.
Closed Thread