Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wrote and sent off 2 big checks to the feds and the state so I don't get penalized for under estimating.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I did some plowing. Broke my plow truck. Again. I just don't understand what the problem could be. Its only been a plow truck for about 25 years!

The automatic transmission shifter got stuck. I can't get in to go in Park. When I discovered this, I drove it back to my place before I turned it off. Sure enough, I can't start it because it won't go into Park. Hopefully, I can finish this story in the "Your recent repair" thread.
Should be able to start in neutral??
Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

I deleted 25,000 emails that have accumulated over the years. For some reason, I felt the need to hang on to them. Funny how things get clarified when you're down to your last couple days of work. Two days to go!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, coveredbridge! You're almost there.

I deleted a similar number of emails when I retired. That kept me busy for a while.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #185

Just unpacked a new alarm clock that I ordered to replace my old one. On the old one, I had to press the snooze button REALLY hard to get it to shut off/delay the alarm (I use the snooze button a lot now!). The new one I got has a little projector on the side and it projects the time on the ceiling. Yes, I still set an alarm. M-F I set it for 9:00AM to at least give me the option of getting up and having a good part of the morning. I am perfectly capable of sleeping soundly until 10:30-11:00.

The other thing I did was set the time on the new clock to the actual time. My old one I had initially set 10 mins fast, but over the years it just kept gaining time a today was 25 mins fast. Stupid I know, and my OCD normally would go against that kind of thing, but it is just what I did. So I'd have to do "math" when I set the alarm, or awoke and had to calculate "real" time. Done with that now.

How many people did or still do that? Intentionally set a clock "fast"?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Went to visit my new PCP. I'd been feeling a little off, heart rate is high, sometimes going into Tachacardia. I still had some diltiazem for the high rate and took a few during the last week. I hadn't been checking my BP for a month cause it was fine.

Yeah 159/102! We had a nice planning session on what vaccine and procedures for my 60th year. Later she took my BP and it and it is still high. Start taking the diltiazem regularly and monitor for a couple weeks, see where to go from there.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

A good day of golf with friends this morning and then lunch after golf.

I bit the bullet and decided to splurge on a Windows tablet... the old Lenovo Thinkpad battery could only go for a half hour or so and it was 6 years old and a bit warm on my lap. I ended up buying a new Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700.... Lenovo's response to the Microsoft Tablet... m5 processor, 8GB of memory and 256GB SSD for $570. I ordered it Tuesday night and it arrived while I was out golfing.

Love it so far (replaced a Thinkpad T410s) and am most of the way through transferring software and files over from the old machine. I toyed with getting a Chromebook for web browsing and email and keeping the Thinkpad for Quicken and Turbotax but ultimately decided that I wanted just one machine that could do both... at the end of the day it is coming out of the kid's inheritance so what the heck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Should be able to start in neutral??
The shifting mechanism was really messed up. I couldn't find neutral either. I put the transfer case in neutral and jumped across the starter solenoid to get it running, jammed it in gear and drove it in to the mechanic. He has a steering column coming to replace the whole shifter mechanism.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #189

I just got back from skiing with DD and SIL. I meet them at the slopes. It was a glorious winter day. In the 30s with blue sky and no wind. The slopes were in outstanding condition. My legs gave out and I had to quit about 3:00, but still a fine day. 5+ hours of driving there and back plus a day of skiing. I'm pretty tired, but happy.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Yep, 5 minutes fast. Looking forward to not setting it at all for a good long time after tomorrow though.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Hiking on the river bottom the snow is 16 inches deep or so but still pretty soft. I spent 4 hours walking and enjoying the 32 degree day.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I deleted 25,000 emails that have accumulated over the years. For some reason, I felt the need to hang on to them. Funny how things get clarified when you're down to your last couple days of work. Two days to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations, coveredbridge! You're almost there.

I deleted a similar number of emails when I retired. That kept me busy for a while.
I guess I'm not the only one who kept CYA e-mails.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never did. I also never understood why some people used the snooze alarm...you don't like waking up, so why do you do choose to it several times every morning?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was a rainy day so no golf. Took the mutt to the vet for some minor surgery. Had to remove a bump on the crease of an eyelid. $175 later....he's fine.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I guess I'm not the only one who kept CYA e-mails.
Exactly! Many of mine were CYA e-mails and came in very handy a few times.

Last night, F's 2003 Murano broke, and I mean BROKE. It's half a block away from our homes, and can't make it even 10 feet closer on its own power. He is going to have it towed to the dealer today. We don't know how much it will cost, and it has almost 250,000 miles on it.

I'll spend today driving him around and listening to his thought processes and response when he finds out how much it will cost and decides whether to fix or junk it, and so on. Maybe going to used car lots too. He has helped me out so many times when I needed it, and finally I can return the favor.

Thank goodness we are both retired and have plenty of time to deal with it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #196

Went to the bank to get cash to pay the two bands that are playing at my retirement party tomorrow night!!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #197

Quote:
Went to the bank to get cash to pay the two bands that are playing at my retirement party tomorrow night!!
Congrats!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Exactly! Many of mine were CYA e-mails and came in very handy a few times.

Last night, F's 2003 Murano broke, and I mean BROKE. It's half a block away from our homes, and can't make it even 10 feet closer on its own power. He is going to have it towed to the dealer today. We don't know how much it will cost, and it has almost 250,000 miles on it.

I'll spend today driving him around and listening to his thought processes and response when he finds out how much it will cost and decides whether to fix or junk it, and so on. Maybe going to used car lots too. He has helped me out so many times when I needed it, and finally I can return the favor.

Thank goodness we are both retired and have plenty of time to deal with it.
At the dealer it will most likely cost more to repair than it is worth. Might as well start looking for a replacement.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Monitored my BP and couple of times, OK a few or more. After two doses of diltiazem my BP is 122/78. So that's good. How in the world I've been off this medicine for 18 months and had normal BP? I regularly checked it as well as multiple professionals. I don't get it, but at least for now it's normal. When I was on it before my BP dropped into the 80s over 50s and I sat down alot.:confused:

DW and I went snowshoeing for a while today. She was kinda nervous but quickly caught on. Tomorrow if we can get there, we found where a bunch of trails kick off. Lots of people xcounty and snowshoeing.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #200

We are back in Iowa after 9 lovely days in Florida. Today I took care of my hubby (flu), went swimming with my mom, and did some work from home for my PT job. Oh, I had a tire checked, it had a leak on the rim. It was nice to do that during the day.
Closed Thread