Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #2241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I got WiFi up to the house today!

I put a directional antenna on a mast at the motor home and an access point with standard omnidirectional antennas at the house. The funny part is if I open the window up there, the speed just about triples...
Years ago, when I brought up a Direct TV dish to install at my boondocks home, I first tried to find the correct orientation by playing with it inside the home. The idea was to get the rough pointing orientation with the dish antenna on the ground before mounting it permanently up on a beam above the deck.

I tried to point it through the large glass door looking out on the south-facing deck. For the life of me, I could not get any signal. Then, somehow I thought of sliding open the glass door. Boom! Strong signal.

Slided the door close. Not even a weak signal, but no signal at all. Opened it, strong signal. Son of a gun!

RF signals are supposed to go through glass. I think there's a thin metallic film on these double-pane doors and windows to provide the low-emissivity quality, and it proves 100% effective in blocking satellite signals which are in the 12 GHz.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #2242

I drove DW into Chicago this morning so she could vote in the Venezuelan popular consultation. It is a non-binding but formal communication of collective opinion on a specific issue, in this case a new proposal for a constitutional rewrite. Then we went out for a very enjoyable brunch.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #2243
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

RF signals are supposed to go through glass. I think there's a thin metallic film on these double-pane doors and windows to provide the low-emissivity quality, and it proves 100% effective in blocking satellite signals which are in the 12 GHz.
Neat story. 12 GHz, that's about 2.5 cm wavelength. If you have two thin films that are separated by something like that distance I can see where some significant destructive interference could be occurring (I'd have to think about the phase issues to be sure about the separation). It would be interesting to try it with regular window glass or with just a single pane of low-e glass.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #2244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I drove DW into Chicago this morning so she could vote in the Venezuelan popular consultation. It is a non-binding but formal communication of collective opinion on a specific issue, in this case a new proposal for a constitutional rewrite. Then we went out for a very enjoyable brunch.
Good luck with that one. Terrible situation there.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #2245

Had an AM eye exam and ordered contact lenses, then lunch with DW at Outback Steak House, then grocery run.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #2246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played a round of golf in the morning, then had a nice lunch at the course.

After I got home, the drummer in one of my bands called (I'm teaching him how to play guitar)...his wife is buying him an acoustic guitar for his birthday and they wanted some help selecting one. So, we headed to the music store and tried out a few and with a little bit of hopefully helpful advice they found one they liked and bought it.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #2247

Replacing florescent fixtures in garage with LED's. Mounted 8 outlet boxes and strung romex to 2. When sweat started dripping gave up and went inside.

Supposed to be cooler tomorrow. We got a hot one this year.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #2248
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Good on ya! Hope there is resolution of that situation soon. Glad for all the motivated Venezuelan immigrants in my former home area, but sad what has happened to their old home.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #2249

Went to the beach for the usual dog walk followed by my geezer water aerobics class which I am now supplementing with lap swimming. I hit my goal of 20 laps today. Yay.

During the class a friend mentioned that the local Sears has great sales because it is closing down in a month or so. Coincidentally our fridge temp controller board has been wigging out. The board is unavailable (trust me, I've looked,. Talked to the manufacturer, and a repairman). So we've been debating replacing the 12 year old fridge. We decided to see if the sales at the local Sears were good. Turns out the sales were awesome. We get our new fridge Thursday.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #2250
Dryer sheet wannabe

Spent the morning crocheting and chatting with the ladies at my local craft group, home for lunch and will be heading out later for dinner with my daughter and husband.

I love winter days like these, sunny, warm and relaxed. I also love the fact that there are no time pressures. I don't have to do anything or be anywhere other than whatever/where ever I feel like being/doing.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2251
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
20170718_152121.jpg

New septic tank almost installed, needs to be inspected.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #2252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Attachment 26419

Nice!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #2253
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I picked up our desktop computer from a repair shop. It died right after a power outage. Wouldn't boot, guy says the boot sector contains too many bad sectors. OK he says he can use a utility and copy a good one, repoint to it and all good.

I brought it home and great it comes up. DW wasn't happy with my sloppy job reconnecting everything back so I'm fixing it. Somehow I lost internet connectivity and chose to reboot it.

Of course it won't come back! I took it back and the guy checks it out and claims that he thinks it might be the adapters that support my wireless keyboard and mouse. He moves one to a different USB on a different bus and boom there it goes. He couldn't explain why it had been working for a few years like that. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #2254
Give me a forum ...

The power transient might have killed the old USB port that you had been using.

PS. Speaking of power outage, there's a thunderstorm where I am right now. For the last 5 days, a thunderstorm would develop every afternoon, and then came the rain, heavy at times. The lights would blink, but the power stayed on. I have been working on the deck project for 3 or 4 hours each day in the morning, then came inside for lunch and called it a day. All this rain is good for the trees, and the forest turns green and alive.

PPS. By the way, in the photo above, isn't Khan septic system an aerobic (above ground) type?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #2255

I joined a small group to ride along the D&L Trail / Delaware Canal from Easton PA to Washington's Crosssing (40 miles). It was very humid and 90 degrees by the time we finished. I'm now showered and in the nice AC with no plans to leave the couch tonight. Despite carrying and drinking lots of water, I can tell I'm dehydrated.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #2256
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I joined a small group to ride along the D&L Trail / Delaware Canal from Easton PA to Washington's Crosssing (40 miles). It was very humid and 90 degrees by the time we finished. I'm now showered and in the nice AC with no plans to leave the couch tonight. Despite carrying and drinking lots of water, I can tell I'm dehydrated.
My wife and i like to travel and ride different rail trails. I am putting this one on my list, as well as Pine Creek trail, i believe you have mentioned previously. I think it is about 5-6 hours from me.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #2257
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The power transient might have killed the old USB port that you had been using.

PS. Speaking of power outage, there's a thunderstorm where I am right now. For the last 5 days, a thunderstorm would develop every afternoon, and then came the rain, heavy at times. The lights would blink, but the power stayed on. I have been working on the deck project for 3 or 4 hours each day in the morning, then came inside for lunch and called it a day. All this rain is good for the trees, and the forest turns green and alive.

PPS. By the way, in the photo above, isn't Khan septic system an aerobic (above ground) type?
It's an anaerobic.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
My wife and i like to travel and ride different rail trails. I am putting this one on my list, as well as Pine Creek trail, i believe you have mentioned previously. I think it is about 5-6 hours from me.

If you like to do multi-day (supported) rides, keep your eyes open for the PA Rails-to-Trails Sojourn in 2018. Our group was riding to scout the trail for next year's event. We wanted to look for potential lunch stops, etc.

If you just come to ride on your own, I recommend the D & L Trail between Glen Summit or Whitehaven and Jim Thorpe, through the Lehigh Gorge. I ride the Gorge quite often and it's much nicer scenery than most of the rest of the trail. I can recommend a good place to get a shuttle so you only have to ride downstream.

Last week we rode from Lehighton to Easton, which would be the second leg of the sojourn. The other riders on these two trips are more experienced than me and are used to rides of this length. They asked me to ride along to let them know how an occasional rider would fare. My "behind" got sore last week (it was the longest I had ever spent in the saddle). Not sore this week but drained from the heat & humidity. We all were.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #2259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Attachment 26419

I love that house! Not so much that it is prefab, but you have it up on stilts! Got a carport and a patio and no fear of high water.

Sweet -
Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #2260

Khan, Is it a requirement to have the house on stilts? It doesn't look like your neighbors homes are on stilts, older construction?