Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #2921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did my regular Sunday stuff. We just got back from Orlando yesterday. But for today...I went to my sister's for early coffee and then met my BF for a walk. Lunch with my Mom at her favorite (not mine) Pizza Ranch. Afternoon yoga which was very nice. Then a nice afternoon and spaghetti dinner with wine with my DH. A very nice and busy Sunday for me.
Nice weather here in Iowa, the leaves are turning and are very pretty.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #2922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played 18 holes of golf. Walked the course. Beautiful sunny day, but very blustery. Lost a few balls! But fun. Grocery shopping now....
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #2923
Administrator

Today was church and normal chores. Last night, I went to the 25th year reunion of my law school class. It was fun to see most of my old classmates and hear what they have been doing with their lives. They are among the most talented and interesting people I have ever met.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #2924

Went to a birthday party up in Denver today for a young lass who turned 80 today. Her name is Gloria and, yep, the band played G L O R I A in her honer. It was a good time and I drove the sports car up and back which made that much better. That will probably be it for the sports car until next year.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #2925
Give me a forum ...

We saw a couple of plays this weekend, both were very good. One was the opening night of Angel Street (Gaslight) with a meet the cast and champagne reception after the play. The other play was The Liar, with a director and actors' talk after the play. The rest of the weekend was just the usual - walking the dog, grocery shopping, assorted chores, errands and some more headway on decluttering, including taking several bags of stuff to Goodwill.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #2926
Give me a forum ...

Sleep late, got up around 9AM. Minor house cleaning, dusting. Went to coffee shop, stopped at wallymart to pick up furnace filter and six outlet usb charger and a jug of salsa.

Might work on cleaning up an old bicycle for short trips. Later tonight swing dance class.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #2927
Full time employment: Posting here.

Played golf this morning. Just now finished processing a couple of test images from an astrophotography run the other night. DW allowed me to install a semi-permanent" observatory on the patio. Still debugging the system, but here are a couple of test images from Friday night:
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #2928

First day back at the gym for almost two weeks. Some family events kept me out, then followed by some surgery and the doc told me to stay out for at least a week. I took it easy, tomorrow morning I'll know if I took it easy enough.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #2929

Raked 18 bags of leaves this weekend. Then the big wind today blew all my neighbor's leaves into my yard. **SIGH** The timing of leaf raking is a big deal around here. It has to be when the trees are mostly down and before the first snowfall/cold weather, which can be a few days or a month or more. Nothing worse than bagging half frozen leaves on a frigid day.
Afterwards I took an Epsom salt bath, and today I was glad to be back at work sitting all day
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #2930
Give me a forum ...

Spent a day hunting and scouting the area my lousy deer tag is for. I have been to this area 3 times this month and I have not seen a deer, hoof print, poop, etc. at all. Thinking I may not even bother with the tag. OTOH I did bag my first jackrabbit. Man those suckers are big! Must be 4 times the size of an ordinary cottontail.

At the end of my excursion I nailed a second teal on the shore of a 3,000 acre lake. Unfortunately the wind started pushing it away from shore. I was not wearing waders, so I elected to strip down to my skivvies and wad out to grab it. The water was pretty darned cold. Good thing it was 65 and sunny. I will not be trying that in December.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #2931
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Took a quick trip to Havana, followed by a short stop in Paris. Drove through Delaware on the way home.

Big surprise on the trip - had no idea there was a Benedictine Monastery located on the edge of the Ouachita Mountains in rural Arkansas.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #2932
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Took a quick trip to Havana, followed by a short stop in Paris. Drove through Delaware on the way home.

Big surprise on the trip - had no idea there was a Benedictine Monastery located on the edge of the Ouachita Mountains in rural Arkansas.
It is amazing how spread out monasteries and cloisters are. I only found out there was one 10 minutes from our house a year or so ago because the cloister had to get a variance to build an 8 foot fence. Why did they need such a thing? Because a set of jackwagons were hopping the 4 foot fence and chasing down 70+ YO nuns who have lived a cloistered existence (including a vow of silence) for decades.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #2933
Give me a forum ...

I went shopping for Halloween costumes during the day and for dinner we had a nice meal out with a dinner group we belong to.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #2934

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Spent a day hunting and scouting the area my lousy deer tag is for. I have been to this area 3 times this month and I have not seen a deer, hoof print, poop, etc. at all. Thinking I may not even bother with the tag....
Last Sunday I was driving out of the Ranch and had to come to a skidding halt to keep from hitting one of about a half dozen deer. About a mile farther down the road I started to running into hunters all over the place. The deer were on a small strip of Forest Service land, but most of the hunters don't come up there.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #2935
Give me a forum ...

What did we do today? We frustratedly urinated the entire day up against a wall, that's what.

Air Canada, arguably the worst airline in the world, (their motto is "We`re not happy until you`re not happy"), citing 'safety reasons' cancelled* all their flights from San Juan both before and after (way before and after) the day our ship is supposed** to arrive in PR.

(*Oddly enough, other members of the Star Alliance, affiliated with Air Canada, with flights that are purportedly operated by Air Canada, are still taking off.)

(**Royal Caribbean have still not categorically announced that they will be docking as per schedule.)

We were unable to establish online contact with Air Canada or with Expedia for TD, (through whom we booked the flight), but DW managed to chat with an Air Canada rep on Facebook......DW`s final comment was "Is there anything you can do for us, other than say "I`m sorry"?"

Finally we, with the help of a friend in Canada, managed to obtain a credit.

But....any available flights, (IF the ship docks there), were 2 1/2 to 3 times what we paid initially.

We asked the VTG rep if Royal Caribbean would allow us to do a straight swap for another (and perhaps slightly cheaper) cruise leaving from Barcelona a few days later......"Nyet, and you'd be charged 100% cancellation fee).....to which we replied "Fine, cancel the cruise we have booked for Oct 2018".

Mood of the moment....and it isn't a good one, is to just blow off the cruise in its entirety.......and make sure they don't try and nail us for the mandatory gratuities.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #2936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
What did we do today? We frustratedly urinated the entire day up against a wall, that's what.

Air Canada, arguably the worst airline in the world, (their motto is "We`re not happy until you`re not happy"), citing 'safety reasons' cancelled* all their flights from San Juan both before and after (way before and after) the day our ship is supposed** to arrive in PR.

(*Oddly enough, other members of the Star Alliance, affiliated with Air Canada, with flights that are purportedly operated by Air Canada, are still taking off.)

(**Royal Caribbean have still not categorically announced that they will be docking as per schedule.)

We were unable to establish online contact with Air Canada or with Expedia for TD, (through whom we booked the flight), but DW managed to chat with an Air Canada rep on Facebook......DW`s final comment was "Is there anything you can do for us, other than say "I`m sorry"?"

Finally we, with the help of a friend in Canada, managed to obtain a credit.

But....any available flights, (IF the ship docks there), were 2 1/2 to 3 times what we paid initially.

We asked the VTG rep if Royal Caribbean would allow us to do a straight swap for another (and perhaps slightly cheaper) cruise leaving from Barcelona a few days later......"Nyet, and you'd be charged 100% cancellation fee).....to which we replied "Fine, cancel the cruise we have booked for Oct 2018".

Mood of the moment....and it isn't a good one, is to just blow off the cruise in its entirety.......and make sure they don't try and nail us for the mandatory gratuities.

Bummer. Hope you get it worked out. I think we are taking the same cruise. So far our flight is still intact to Miami and then on to Seattle. If anything gets cancelled we will just continue on with our travels from wherever we are.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #2937
Give me a forum ...

Called my insurance company again about the prior approval they were supposed to get back with me yesterday about.

After talking with a different agent today I asked to speak with a supervisor. He informed me I'd hear back by COB today.

I promised I'd call back every day to annoy them until they gave me an answer. I've paid for this medication for 3 months myself and am done! When I spoke with my doctor she said it would be no problem to get the med approved.

The whole prior approval seems to be nothing but an aggravating issue for consumers. What the heck is a prescription for?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #2938
Gone but not forgotten

Nemo, According to Cruise timetables Jewel of the Seas is docking in San Juan Nov.19
Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Nemo, According to Cruise timetables Jewel of the Seas is docking in San Juan Nov.19
It may well do so...but...they haven't yet 'officially' confirmed that they will adhere to their published schedule......there's always a "Yabbut".

Supposedly RC was going to send out an update today.....(oh, that'd be yesterday for us now)..haven't seen it yet.

What really pisses ticks us off is Air Canada cancelling the cheaper flight that we booked numerous months ago and having their affiliates offer worse flights at higher prices.

As noted before...we use these repositioning cruises as buses to get home....we anticipated problems/delays at the San Juan port and were perfectly willing to accept that considering the circumstances......but now that Air Canada has cancelled the flight we booked, the purpose of taking this ship has evaporated.

We could have taken a later/possibly cheaper vessel to Miami.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #2940
Moderator Emeritus

Worked on our bath remodel. Took the pontoon boat out of the water. Pressure washed it and the outside of my workshop. Cleaned out the garage to make room for the boat.
Closed Thread