What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
My alarm clock is 8 lbs. of fluffy white happiness who is ready for our walk by 7:30 every day. :D

The only down side to that model of alarm clock is they don't come equipped with a snooze button! :)

But that model of alarm clock is so huggable! I can guarantee you that I *never* hug my present alarm clock. :D

The beagle and I bagged our first goose this morning. ETA: Of course when I got the dog and goose out of the truck to go into the house, a done-up blonde woman was pushing a stroller down the block and spotted me. I got the, "holy crap, there are rednecks in the neighborhood!" stare.

Were you out on the prairie? I went down to Fowler, in SE Colorado for lunch with friends from high school and junior college. Had a great time, but it is dry and warm down there. It was in the high 60s and I am sure got up into the 70s in the afternoon.

DH has been having trouble getting in/out of our Corolla so he's been talking about trading that in for something that sits higher. We stopped at the local Toyota dealer to look yesterday and went back today for a test drive. Four hours later we came home with a RAV4. It's got more electronic gadgets than my little 2011 Corolla and I think I'll like that.

I told DH that we have to add a hitch receptacle for a bike rack because the racks I have won't work on the back end of the RAV4. For my birthday next month I'm going to ask for a roof rack to carry kayaks. It wasn't feasible with the Corolla but now that I have an SUV I might as well use it properly

DH has been having trouble getting in/out of our Corolla so he's been talking about trading that in for something that sits higher. We stopped at the local Toyota dealer to look yesterday and went back today for a test drive. Four hours later we came home with a RAV4. It's got more electronic gadgets than my little 2011 Corolla and I think I'll like that.

I told DH that we have to add a hitch receptacle for a bike rack because the racks I have won't work on the back end of the RAV4. For my birthday next month I'm going to ask for a roof rack to carry kayaks. It wasn't feasible with the Corolla but now that I have an SUV I might as well use it properly
Congratulations! I hope it is a great SUV for you. :) I love having an SUV, and like your DH I think we would both have trouble getting in and out of a regular car these days (due to age, arthritis, etc, in our case).

First day on skis in nearly a year. Glorious sunshine, loads of snow (74 inch base) and no wind. Couldn't be much better (well, maybe a little fresh powder).

I can't do it all day like I used to, but 3-4 hours are just a delightful treat. For an old codger with arthritic hips, that's as good as it gets. Skiing is also a lot cheaper when you get over 70. Most resorts offer a hefty discount at that age.

I helped the start of the restoration of a 23 ton switch engine donated to our Railroad Society. It had sat in the Bay ASrea for 40 years, and is in rough shape
Worked on a ballast crew at age 18 - lead tamper.
Hardest. Physical. Job. of my life. Stuck it out until basic training. after gandy job, basic training was a chip shot.

The beagle and I bagged our first goose this morning. ETA: Of course when I got the dog and goose out of the truck to go into the house, a done-up blonde woman was pushing a stroller down the block and spotted me. I got the, "holy crap, there are rednecks in the neighborhood!" stare.
I hear you. Fish and game are almost always more humane than what folks buy at the store (and infinitely better tasting and more nutritious).

Were you out on the prairie? I went down to Fowler, in SE Colorado for lunch with friends from high school and junior college. Had a great time, but it is dry and warm down there. It was in the high 60s and I am sure got up into the 70s in the afternoon.

On the Platte near Kersey. It was 20s when I got there at dawn, but 50F when we left at 11.

Made another batch of jerky from ground meat with my new jerky gun. The first batch turned out fine, using 90% lean ground beef from the supermarket. I wanted to experiment, and saw 90% lean ground bison at Costco, so picked up a package. Amazing difference, using the same recipe. Way better than the beef, so I think this will be my standard from now on.

Interesting - I use that same ground bison for chili and love the "dark" taste.

Vacationing in Hawaii. Drove to the summit of Haleakala for sunrise. Walked around a bit afterward. The effect of altitude was noticeable. Drove back to Kihei. Stayed out of the sun in the afternoon. Late afternoon beach swim then had dinner at the Hula Grill Barefoot Bar Ka'anapali. An hour wait for a table, so we watched the sunset over the beach while waiting, hoping to see a humpback whale.

From that bar we enjoyed watching the catamarans come in for a beach landing to unload people. Impressive!

Nice. Love the photo.

Does that beagle track geese?

Seriously, I've only hunted rabbit and pheasant with a beagle as a tracker. Does it assist or companion?

Nice. Love the photo.

Does that beagle track geese?

Seriously, I've only hunted rabbit and pheasant with a beagle as a tracker. Does it assist or companion?

She tracks anything. By far the best nose of the 3 beagles and 1 Plott hound we have owned. In this case I hit the goose at about 50 yards and it crashed in a puddle 30 feet away. It ran into high reeds while I was reloading. She tracked it down no problem.

She is an adept ratter as well.

Unfortunately the whole brain must be devoted to sense of smell. She is probably the least bright dog I have owned. I do not trust her off the leash, so the handle gets my belt through it when in the field. She is a sweet companion mostly.

Did some stream of consciousness cooking and realized I hadn't lost my touch.
Leftover liquid from clam chowder and whole grain rice mix and vegetables and fish and leftover chicken breast...excellent supper.

Came home to find the GF had the TV on and noticed it was an old movie. Alice or something with Ellen Burstyn. Had a couple brewskiis and got totally engrossed. This was a real movie. And no ******* commercials since it was on one of those no commercial channels. Very enjoyable. Hope to do it again sometime.

Tried out a DIY auto repair garage today for the first time. They rent a heated bay for $12 an hour or one with a lift for $24. A neat concept, I hope they make enough money to keep the doors open. They also rent tools - $5 an hour for all the hand tools you need in that hour. Also have access to a drill press, brake lathe, grinder and even torches for $10 an hour.

My project was to strip the added trailer wiring from my old SUV so I can put it on my new SUV.

I have never heard of such a thing as rent a shop bay. Interesting business.

Day whatever of decluttering. Five DVDs I couldn't digitize because they discolored over time. 9/10s of the shredding is done. I'm hoping to be completely done with everything Saturday. Then it's on to cleaning up all the piles of stuff that need donated or tossed.

All this work to clear out two closets. Oy.

I went in town to do my laundry. While there, I looked at a Thrifty Nickel. I didn't know they still put those out. There was an add for an RV show down in the city, so I drove on down to check them out. I'm thinking seriously about a slide in truck camper after the house is done. I'm glad I have this old motor home to stay in while I work on the house. If I had one of those newer RVs, I doubt if I would ever finish the house!

Another interesting note. It was in the 40s in the mountain town. Down in the city it was in the teens and low 20s. You can see the whole mountain town and valley as you come in. The trees and grass were all done up in a beautiful white frost with gorgeous blue skys. There was a bank of fog farther down the valley and the city was in an ice fog all day.

Spent the entire day at the hospital today as DW was in for a kyphoplasty procedure for the two fractured vertebrae in her mid-back area. She has been on constant pain for a month as Medicare put us through the hoops with various tests before they would approve an MRI and final diagnosis. Around here, it takes two weeks to schedule a CAT scan or MRI.

We are surrounded with Class A medical hospitals (4) and countless support type medical facilities and it just blows my mind how every one is booked weeks in advance for non-invasive testing.

Well, we got home about 7:00 PM and the procedure was reportedly successful. She has no idea how she compression fractured two vertebrae. I guess we will find out over the next few days how this procedure turned out.

It's not pretty getting old. She is 71 and this bone fracture issue is down right scary.

A word of advice for all of you that are itching to travel: Get it out of your system while you are physically able to do so.

Tried out a DIY auto repair garage today for the first time. They rent a heated bay for $12 an hour or one with a lift for $24. A neat concept, I hope they make enough money to keep the doors open. They also rent tools - $5 an hour for all the hand tools you need in that hour. Also have access to a drill press, brake lathe, grinder and even torches for $10 an hour.

My project was to strip the added trailer wiring from my old SUV so I can put it on my new SUV.

Thats a great concept, hope it spreads.

Thats a great concept, hope it spreads.

I've never seen one of those that wasn't on a military base. Used to be fairly common to see them on base though. A place for the guys in the barracks to work on their vehicles, I think they were run by MWR iirc. Nice to hear the concept is available elsewhere these days (glad I don't need it, but nice to hear).

Well, we got home about 7:00 PM and the procedure was reportedly successful. She has no idea how she compression fractured two vertebrae. I guess we will find out over the next few days how this procedure turned out.

Glad to hear that it went well and hopefully her pain will be relieved soon. As is said here too often, getting old isn't for sissies.

Glad to hear that it went well and hopefully her pain will be relieved soon. As is said here too often, getting old isn't for sissies.
+1000

aja8888, best wishes for a great recovery for your wife. Let's hope she will be pain free and able to get back to her usual life, soon. I would imagine this has been pretty tough on both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom