Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #3041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Oooh, just had to share: paid off the last of a six-figure debt today.
So. Freaking. Glad.
OUTSTANDING!

Your outlook on everything financial will feel different now. Debt free just feels so solid.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #3042

Picked up a couple of prescriptions, went to the doc's office for my monthly B-12 shot and while there snuck a copy of Model Aviation magazine in the stacks of otherwise boring and out-of-date magazines they have in there. Perhaps this will introduce someone else to the hobby. Did a grocery run on the way home and now I'm in for the day.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #3043

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
He apologized for making me drive down there to determine which tooth it was. He couldn't tell from the xray. A prior patient made his point, she's had two root canals done on the wrong teeth.
Sounds like a pretty good doc. I had an issue with a tooth and my dentist sent me to a endodentist. He could not locate the specific tooth either.

He said he could do the root canal on the one he thought it was, or we could wait until the pain kicked in and there would be no doubt. I said I'd rather wait.

He said "that's fine, but here's some Oxycodone. Once that pain starts, you'll need it".
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #3044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Oooh, just had to share: paid off the last of a six-figure debt today.
So. Freaking. Glad.

Now we can really start making headway on the FIRE funds!
Congratulations, that is great news. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #3045
Full time employment: Posting here.

Used my sawmill to cut up a few small cedar logs. These were from a tree that fell across the road on the way to our river camp, had a chainsaw with me so didn't want to waste the logs but had to cut them small to handle them by myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.JPG (542.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #3046
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Used my sawmill to cut up a few small cedar logs. These were from a tree that fell across the road on the way to our river camp, had a chainsaw with me so didn't want to waste the logs but had to cut them small to handle them by myself.
Awesome. I can almost smell it.

How thick are the flitches?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #3047

Today we made our weekly trek to Walmart. I did some work from home. Then I made BLT sandwiches with some of the last garden tomatoes. I visited with my Mom and Dad and then DH wanted to go out for a beer and a sandwich. We had a nice weather day her in Iowa today.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #3048
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Last night we drove to Durango so I could get a root canal. The drive in the dark was interesting. Sunset was great, we hit chimney rock at prime time. The way home was dark, raining and turned to sleet. I hung close to an 18 wheeler most of the trip.

I'd only been to his office once before and got turned around when we got down there. In an older part of town, small side streets with little lighting. We spooked a big mule deer and I thought she was going to jump in the bed.

The docs an interesting guy. I wouldn't say it was fun, but I really did enjoy chatting with him. Somehow I mentioned my past in technology and imaging. On the way out he showed off his systems. He told me he had a master's in digital imaging(I didn't share that was a big part of my career and my formal education in the subject was 0)!

Tooth isn't too bad this morning, unfortunately the crown didn't survive the procedure. It was probably 10-12 years old and I'd ground off most of the enamel so time for a new one. Hopefully the next 3+ weeks are uneventful.
At least with the root canal done, hopefully you are no longer in pain.

I went to the dentist today too, but only had to have a filling done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #3049
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Awesome. I can almost smell it.

How thick are the flitches?
Left one about two inches thick, the rest about an inch. Nice smell while cutting, makes up for the times I've cut red oak.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #3050
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Left one about two inches thick, the rest about an inch. Nice smell while cutting, makes up for the times I've cut red oak.

Very nice! What are you going to make?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #3051
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gorgeous. Sometimes the raw material is as beautiful as the finished product made with it will be.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #3052
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2017 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Gorgeous. Sometimes the raw material is as beautiful as the finished product made with it will be.

True. I made a cedar chest for my grandmother in 1970. I got it after she passed. I manned up the outside, but left the inside unfinished. Still looks and smells the same as it did 47 years ago.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #3053
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At least with the root canal done, hopefully you are no longer in pain.

I went to the dentist today too, but only had to have a filling done.
Thanks WR2. Yesterday was a little rough, four hydrocodone.

Today it's not bad at all. I'll see how it goes, maybe I can get by with just ibuprofen. They want me brushing the tooth multiple times daily, that got it angry yesterday.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #3054
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks WR2. Yesterday was a little rough, four hydrocodone.

Today it's not bad at all. I'll see how it goes, maybe I can get by with just ibuprofen. They want me brushing the tooth multiple times daily, that got it angry yesterday.
So glad it is less painful today and hopefully there will be zero pain shortly, if he did that root canal on the right tooth. If it is still hurting in a day or two, you might want to see your dentist again about it. You probably remember last spring, when I was having trouble identifying which tooth my tooth pain was coming from. It took several root canals and an implant and then several more root canals on a different tooth before that pain was gone.

For me, ibuprofen works better for tooth pain than hydrocodone (which just makes me feel high, ugh!). I hope it does the trick. Nothing worse than tooth pain.

My filling was quick and painless, and my dentist said I could eat immediately afterwards if I wanted to. Paying the $200 bill was not such fun, but I reminded myself that he did several free root canals when we were chasing down where that pain was coming from a few months back.

All you Young Dreamers out there, be sure to plan having enough extra income to handle more dental expenses in your late 60's than you had in your 40's. If your teeth turn out to be unusually perfect, you can always spend it on wine, women, and song.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #3055
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of my 11/9/2009 retirement, so now "Want2Retire" (me), is working on her 9th year of retired bliss.

An unrelated event was that an additional 13,000+ JFK Assassination documents were declassified and released yesterday. I thought we already had all of them! This was quite a surprise. I have been interested in the JFK assassination since the day it happened.

So, I was up half the night poring over this material. I barely scratched the surface, with so many documents. Some were quite fascinating. It's like a time capsule - - - very interesting, to me, even though I have found nothing definitive concerning the assassination.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #3056

I’m waiting in the car for DH to finish a reference interview— one of his contract gigs. When he’s done we are heading to the mountain house for a couple of days. It didn’t make sense for him to drive the 50 miles to the interview, then backtrack to pick me up.

The interview is in a part of NJ that is unfamiliar to me, so it’s been an enjoyable drive on a sunny day with nice scenery. DH commented that many people wouldn’t imagine that parts of NJ are this rural and scenic.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #3057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
DH commented that many people wouldn’t imagine that parts of NJ are this rural and scenic.
It's easy to forget how big this country is. I remember when I was a teenager, ten of us took five canoes down the Wading River in southern NJ and never saw the slightest sign of civilization for an entire week. We camped out in the forest every night and just enjoyed nature.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #3058
Moderator Emeritus

There are some beautiful parts of New Jersey, that I saw when traveling there for work. Princeton is, well, Princeton, what more can I say. Utterly idyllic. On a different trip I was sent to a Naval Weapons Station in northern NJ, and some areas up there closer to NYC were quite lovely and surely very expensive.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of my 11/9/2009 retirement, so now "Want2Retire" (me), is working on her 9th year of retired bliss.

An unrelated event was that an additional 13,000+ JFK Assassination documents were declassified and released yesterday. I thought we already had all of them! This was quite a surprise. I have been interested in the JFK assassination since the day it happened.

So, I was up half the night poring over this material. I barely scratched the surface, with so many documents. Some were quite fascinating. It's like a time capsule - - - very interesting, to me, even though I have found nothing definitive concerning the assassination.
I celebrated your retirement by having a birthday.

I didn’t file for early SS, but I *did* change my avatar.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #3060
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I celebrated your retirement by having a birthday.

I didn’t file for early SS, but I *did* change my avatar.
Hope you had a happy birthday!!! Nice avatar.

Closed Thread