Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #3401
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No, but if you can get Poilane sourdough bread locally, I am on record as being insanely jealous!!!
On peut le demander.

https://www.poilane.com/en_US/

Je vous en prie.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
On peut le demander.

https://www.poilane.com/en_US/

Je vous en prie.
Vous Ítes trop gentil.
But Ä40 for a loaf of bread is a bit rich for my taste.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #3403
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just booked Airbnb reservatiions for February in Puerto Rico. We are going to the same condo in Carolina (on the beach not far from SJU) that we stayed in last March.

When we started thinking about our winter get away this year, we were not considering PR because of the hurricane damage. But we donít need much, just the beach, a place to stay and some groceries. The host assures is we wonít have much hardship in Carolina.

We will be glad to contribute in at least a small way to the recovery (by spending money on the island). Unfortunately we wonít be able to make our hoped-for trip to El Yunque; itís still closed to visitors.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #3404
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turned a very large pile of no longer needed bank statements, receipts etc etc etc into two two large rubbish bags full of shredded paper.

Very therapeutic.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Woke up pretty, early, and went to the LTC facility to say goodbye to my F-I-L. What a great man he was. Had several nice chats with B-I-Ls. We're waiting to go to funeral home, where it will be slightly more difficult than necessary. However, it will be an honor to go and help with the arrangements. Here's to all the great men who've passed in 2017.
Condolences on your loss.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #3406

Gym day today, since we skipped yesterday. Minor grocery run on the way home. A little bit of snow is forecast for tonight/tomorrow but around here an inch of snow is enough to mess things up so we plan to stay inside where retirees belong on snow days.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #3407

Flew a mother and her 4 year old son on an Angel Flight. I must have made a smooth landing because I had to wake them up after we parked the plane.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #3408

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow, cleaned out twice in one day.
Good one TL!

Today I kegged about 6 gallons of a Duvel clone I brewed. I already "stole" some out of the fermenter a few days ago and force carbonated it. It's really good. Even did a side-by-side blind tasting with my whole family the other day and it came out as the preferred one by 1 "judge" (not me...I liked the real Duvel best, and I knew it by look, aroma, and taste). Mine is not the same as Duvel, but it's good, and similar enough. I'm glad to have 6 gallons of it!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #3409
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I made black bean soup . I make it every year with the leftover ham bone but this year it was the best .SO is raving about it .
Old 12-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #3410

We are spending a few days at our mountain house. Itís so nice and quiet. This morning I layered up and went for a walk in the 10 degrees F/ gentle snow. Since there was no wind it was a nice walk.

Once inside I took care of some tasks for the BOD I volunteer with. Then I just watched the snow fall in the woods.

Iím making split pea soup with the leftover ham bone from Christmas, in our big cast iron pot.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #3411
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yesterday I made black bean soup . I make it every year with the leftover ham bone but this year it was the best .SO is raving about it .
We made split pea with ours. I love a good soup on a cold day.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #3412
Give me a forum ...

We went into the city for a concert last night to see the electronic rock band STS9 at the Warfield. Tonight we went to a comedy show at the Paramount in Oakland with Cedric the Entertainer headlining, though the warm up comedians were pretty funny as well.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
What did I do?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #3413
Confused about dryer sheets

What did I do?

Shoveled some snow, walked over 19k steps, ate a healthy meal - no, make that TWO healthy meals, and had an enjoyable experience.
Life is good.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #3414
Administrator

We only had about an inch of snow yesterday, and it was very cold and powdery, so I used the leaf blower to clear my driveway and sidewalks. It worked well.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #3415
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We made split pea with ours. I love a good soup on a cold day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post

Progresso made some split pea for me, but I baked the cornbread!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #3416
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yesterday we helped DS buy a car - a black 2014 Corolla S. Not what I would have chosen - a little too small and underpowered for my taste - but I think I did a pretty good job in expressing my opinion and then letting him decide. And Dad’s take is a very distant second when the car looks “sick.”:
Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #3417

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
Yesterday we helped DS buy a car - a black 2014 Corolla S. Not what I would have chosen - a little too small and underpowered for my taste - but I think I did a pretty good job in expressing my opinion and then letting him decide. And Dadís take is a very distant take when the car looks ďsick.Ē:

I loved my little Corolla! It was zippy enough for me and got great gas mileageó35-38 mpg.

We replaced that with my RAV4 so DH could enter / exit more easily.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #3418

I had posted the following elsewhere already but it is a good reminder to folks that live in northern climes that this is the time of year to check/replace your car battery... don't be like me !!

==========

In other car related matters, do remember to check and replace your battery as well. Had a lot of no fun this morning. We went out to the grocery store to get a few things for New Years. At the last moment, I decided to leave my cellphone behind because, hey, we're "only" going a few minutes away. It was -18C (-1F) this morning, by the by.

Well, you can imagine. Load the groceries and DW into the car, jam the key in and... nada. Bugger. Battery is clearly dead. Have to go back in the grocery store and ask to use the courtesy phone to call CAA because no cellphone. Yeahhhh... the wait time for a CAA agent on the phone is estimated at 30 minutes and service is estimated to be 2+ hours after that. Double bugger. Forget that. On the way back out to the car I managed to flag down a taxi and got a boost from him. $16 well spent.

Hit Crappy Tire on the way home to buy a new battery. The Rav4 is 5 years old so it was due for one anyway and the cold snap over the last couple of weeks clearly did it in. I was expecting to buy a cheap one in Georgia on our upcoming trip but Mother Nature clearly said nuts to that plan.

Moral being, check and replace before you are stranded at -18C.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #3419
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I loved my little Corolla! It was zippy enough for me and got great gas mileageó35-38 mpg.

We replaced that with my RAV4 so DH could enter / exit more easily.
I agree that it is a great car for my son. Canít beat Toyota reliability. But I am in your DHís camp. I like something that is not so low to the ground and easier to get in and out of.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #3420

Walked on the beach this morning. Listening to my sons' piano lessons as I review the annual finances. Ordered Turbo Tax this morning.

Oh - and all this talk of split pea and black bean soup inspired me to put a pot of soup together... simmering up a big pot of chicken veggie soup. Cleared out the fridge of various leftovers into the soup.

Closed Thread