What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
brewer12345 >>> quail hunting sounds fun.

I hiked for deer horns for most of the day.

No quail around here in the wild. I was hunting small game. We have begun raising coturnix quail, and old world species, for eggs. Sort of like minimum chickens.

Got our held mail delivered after a vacation hold of five days. About twenty pieces, not a single one for us. We looked through it and the addresses are all over the place in our town. Looks like a couple of checks, an urgent tax notice, and a "respond by 3/1" request from a hospital, plus other first class envelopes, no junk. Different postmark dates. All rubberbanded with a printout of our hold notice. DH will present the bundle to the postmaster for what it's worth. I wonder if the final sorter can't read.

You might also wonder where your mail is. :)

Yes. Although we still had several days of our own mail waiting for us in our mail box, NOT in the separate USPS crate with the bundled held mail. Maybe it was opposite week at the PO, so if you want your mail held, they deliver it every day, and if you want it delivered, they hold it for some random wrong address?

At least I deal with the bills etc. online and don't think there would have been any surprises.

Maybe it was opposite week at the PO, so if you want your mail held, they deliver it every day, and if you want it delivered, they hold it for some random wrong address?

And yet some people don't believe in alternate universes. :LOL:

We just moved here the summer before last, and I was delighted to discover that this state allows anyone over 65 to take classes at any state college or university for free, even for credit, as long as there is room in the classroom.

Something I have wanted to do all my life is to learn to speak respectable German. I'm fluent in French and Portuguese, but only have what I call restaurant and train German, and I've always been a bit embarrassed about that, since I'm half German by ancestry.

So today I went to the local university (just about five miles from home) and registered as a student for the Fall term. Folks at the admissions office couldn't have been nicer to deal with, and I'm excited about it.

Part of the impetus for this was hearing about rodi's enthusiasm for her Italian classes, so I'm expecting the same pleasure from mine.
I hope your experience is as positive as mine was. That's a great policy your state has. I had to pay $350 for each 5 unit class. But it was money well spent.

I locked down a price I'm happy with on a 2017 Honda CR-V, so I'll be going to the dealership in the next day or two and getting that straightened out.

After testing out other models and doing about a million hours of research into reliability ratings, I think I'm happy with what I'll wind up with. The learning curve on all these new electronics systems is going to be interesting to climb up.

I also tried Jim Beam Maple bourbon. Good lord, this thing is dangerously delicious. Had to compare it to my Jeremiah Weed Sarsaparilla whiskey. I'll probably have a bottle of each on stock at all times now. :D

I also tried Jim Beam Maple bourbon. Good lord, this thing is dangerously delicious. Had to compare it to my Jeremiah Weed Sarsaparilla whiskey. I'll probably have a bottle of each on stock at all times now. :D

I think you ought to through in a bottle of Fireball Cinnamon whisky just to round the selection out! :)

Today is my liquid diet prior to tomorrow's colonoscopy. I went out and found a brand of stock(kitchen basics) that has 5 grams of protein per 8 oz, most had 0,1. The jello has a couple per serving and lots of sugar. Everything else is carbs from sugar, no fat in anything I'm eating today. Why does everything that tastes good on the list have to be blue or red?

I did stop at a recreational dispensary and found an Arnold Palmer with 100 mg. of THC, it's not blue or red and not on the you can't have list. Maybe a few ounces before the main event starting at 4pm?:D What could possibly go wrong?

......... The learning curve on all these new electronics systems is going to be interesting to climb up............
I'm still trying to figure out all this electronic stuff on my '17 Highlander. It came with three manuals - two were just for the entertainment system and I got the "cheap" one. :facepalm:

I received a follow up call from the firm that interviewed me for a part time job - saying they want me BUT they have never had a part time consultant before and don't have a suitable employment contract SO they want me to draft my own contract ... including hours of work and proposed remuneration rates :facepalm:

Back from my colonoscopy. One polyp removed.
Sure enough my neighbor was the anesthesiologist. We'd met before and exchanged pleasantries but never had the opportunity to chat.

Had some breakfast and watching Planet Earth II in 4K. Pretty fantastic pics.

Finished MIL's taxes. Woot woot. The taxes are super simple (she's 90 and her income is just OPM pension, TSP rmd's, and a couple IRA rmds)... But this year she sold her house... didn't owe taxes, but turbo tax wanted all sorts of pesky details that DH had to dig up. That was the hard part - getting the info from DH. (He's her legal guardian.) She's getting a small refund from the feds and owes a whoppin' $5 to Pennsylvania.

I have 4 apple trees and 1 pear tree. Three of the apple trees were planted by my father and are 35 to 45 years old. I planted the other apple tree and the pear tree from seedlings provided by the Arbor Day Foundation and are 20 to 25 years old.

That must be one beautiful looking yard.

I think you ought to through in a bottle of Fireball Cinnamon whisky just to round the selection out! :)

At Total Wine and more not too long ago there was a tasting of that mixed with some kind of cream liquor. That was an amazing combination.

I'm still trying to figure out all this electronic stuff on my '17 Highlander. It came with three manuals - two were just for the entertainment system and I got the "cheap" one. :facepalm:

I'm looking at a 2017 CR-V, it comes with two books and apparently that's not enough so it comes with a DVD too.

Back from my colonoscopy. One polyp removed.
Sure enough my neighbor was the anesthesiologist. We'd met before and exchanged pleasantries but never had the opportunity to chat.

I can't see colonoscopies replacing block parties anytime soon as a way to get to know your neighbors. :LOL:

Had my annual physical today, and as usual it was really just a courtesy call. Spent half of it discussing his health and life in general.

I've been going to this primary care doctor for over 25 years. He had just started his practice about a year before that, but I really liked him and still do.

But he has aged a lot more than I have during those years. We joke about our doctors sometimes, but it's easy to forget that they chose a very demanding profession. I certainly appreciate mine.

A follow-up visit with the plastic surgeon for the melanoma surgery, all looks good. He and the oncologist are both "on the fence" about a PET scan, the concern being that if a false positive comes out of it then I get treatment for a disease I don't have. Given the side effects of cancer treatments I'm not eager to undergo that! So for now it is simply close observation. He also lifted the restrictions on exercise.

After that we went downstairs to the gym (in the same building) and I found I couldn't do my regular workout, I'll have to build up to it again. Atrophy sure sets in fast. Rats!

Finally, a grocery store run. Although I rarely make impulse buys, this time I got some fried chicken from the deli - that could get addicting!

A follow-up visit with the plastic surgeon for the melanoma surgery, all looks good.

Although I rarely make impulse buys, this time I got some fried chicken from the deli - that could get addicting!

A very well deserved reward, I think.

We went to see Lion at the cheap seats. It was very good, and I will always carry Kleenex with me from now on.

At Total Wine and more not too long ago there was a tasting of that mixed with some kind of cream liquor. That was an amazing combination.

It was probably Rum Chada which is a cream and cinnamon liquor. It is called Texas Toast. Another good Rum Chada drink is with rootbeer. That one is called Rootbeer Float.

Today I had an epiphany.

I learned that I don't know how to "be". I'm a master of "do" but "being" is hard.

Sounds very existential and it's certainly a 1 percenter problem but it is something I have to learn... just like I learned to ride a bike. There may be some bumps and bruises along the way, but it is something that is learnable with practice.

It was probably Rum Chada which is a cream and cinnamon liquor. It is called Texas Toast. Another good Rum Chada drink is with rootbeer. That one is called Rootbeer Float.

Just recently I met two parts Rumchada and one part Jack Daniels Honey. Too good.

That was it. Since the Sarsaparilla Whiskey tastes like rootbeer, I think I know what the next combination needs to be. :dance:

Just recently I met two parts Rumchada and one part Jack Daniels Honey. Too good.

I see I need to pick up another bottle to try now. Having a liquor store within walking distance is not doing my liver any favors. :angel:

Having a liquor store within walking distance is not doing my liver any favors. :angel:

When pondering my "Where to retire" list of requirements that was one criteria I forgot to put on the list. I'm envious of you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom