What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to travel for work today, even though it is a company holiday. :mad:
No wonder I'm RE in 3 months!!!! :dance:

I do not miss those! Only one time I enjoyed. Flying down to FL from Charlotte on the 4th of July. Had an unusual seat for all the fireworks below.

The other 155 times stunk!

Finally did a workout today, after two weeks of being lazy due to holiday obligations and a tough cold that left me drained. I did an easy ride on the spin bike at the gym. I prefer to get my exercise outside, but it's 42 degrees with a driving rain so the gym was a better option.

Joined a gym. Intention is to lose 15 pounds by this time next year. Yes, I am the person you gym "regulars" roll your eyes at every year at this time of year.

No need to feel defensive (sounds like you might). Most of us here simply give you a lot of credit for making the effort.

Shoveled for an hour...only got a few inches of snow but high winds made a few drifts.

Band is rehearsing tonight...gonna run over the set list this afternoon.

Joined a gym. Intention is to lose 15 pounds by this time next year. Yes, I am the person you gym "regulars" roll your eyes at every year at this time of year.

I work out at home now, but when I had a gym membership I used to dread the rush in January. Then, I realized that the majority of new members were gone by February, but they helped keep membership costs down for the regulars.

Good luck on your fitness goals.

I got my exercise today taking down the Christmas decorations and lugging the boxes up stairs to fill with decorations and then back downstairs to the garage for storage.

I also tried to fix the bread pan in my bread machine, but the stirring paddle is frozen solid and won't give an inch. A new machine is about $50 and a new bread pan is $22 plus shipping. The machine is 10 years old. So.... No-Knead bread is looking like a better deal.

My last day of holiday vacation. Completed in-laws EOY financial summary. Printed a few spiffy charts. Haircut. Led shopping at Lowes, bought a few 100 bulb sets at 50% off.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 26
No knead bread is awesome! Check out Steve Gamelin's YouTube channel and ebooks.
No-Knead Bread Central – Hosted by Steve Gamelin (a.k.a. ArtisanBreadWithSteve)

This is rosemary bread.

+1
So easy I can make bread.

We went out to get my truck legal here. Pretty simple not having to wait to long. Folks at the sheriff's office were great. No lines at the DMV. Still have to do DW'S vehicle tomorrow. I'll need to get the taxes on her vehicle but the change in venue should save us 5K yearly in personal property taxes.:)

Last edited:
I'm trying to learn how to play a new song every day. Today I took on one of my favourites...Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty. There is a lot of sliding on the bass so I used my old Precision with flatwound strings (no squeaks). I love the sax in this song:
Do you get sheet music, or pickmit out by ear, or find youtube instruction or what?

I came across this yesterday and it made me want to never play again (Ill never be that good or that happy)

Last edited:
I just got back from dropping the kid's camp Jeep off at the 4WD shop. The shop owner has collected all the parts (which he solicited from his suppliers) necessary to make it a real off road machine. It will be used to ferry sleeping bags, tents, food and cooking equipment for back country campers. I'm also going to try to get it used for local parades, etc.

First official day of retirement - went and had my annual physical this morning.

Do you get sheet music, or pickmit out by ear, or find youtube instruction or what?

For most songs, I learn by ear. For Baker Street and found someone on YouTube, but once I got the changes down I fine tuned it by playing along to the recording.

I came across this yesterday and it made me want to never play again (Ill never be that good or that happy)

Ah...to be young again!! I'm going to have to give that song a try...there are a couple tricky parts, but I should be able to handle it.

wmc1000 >>> good for you! Congrat

I moved more snow and raked it off my roof again. This has been the 3 time I had to remove snow from the roof. I'm running out of room to put snow. lol

Happy New Year!

Today we slept in, then went to AAA to get our international driving permits for our upcoming trip to Spain. I had coffee with a friend, and picked up some pre-made dinner to microwave cause I'm feeling lazy.

I switched to half-time work last year, and dropped down to just one-day-per-month recently. It's been incredible so far. I swear ER is worth it for the sleep alone....

SIS

I just got back from dropping the kid's camp Jeep off at the 4WD shop. The shop owner has collected all the parts (which he solicited from his suppliers) necessary to make it a real off road machine. It will be used to ferry sleeping bags, tents, food and cooking equipment for back country campers. I'm also going to try to get it used for local parades, etc.

Pics when you are done?

Still recall the taste of those back eyed peas from the other day - they still taste like dirt to me.

Got the SUV inspected for the annual sticker. Got it washed as it was 80 F here today. Played with the dog, took down Xmas decorations. Worked on taxes.

Today: Correspondance, some bills, Gym, Tai Chi, 1 hour lecture for continuing ed, pack, and leave for Flagstaff. Little bit of housework/decluttering.

Newly retired, feels weird. I am liking the slower pace. Am realizing how fatigued I am--I suppose this is normal.

Nice to meet y'all

Pedi

Thanks all for the congrats! Today I am going to spend a few days with my dad - lives 300 mi. away in MI. DW will stay home and watch 1 of our grandkids.

Yesterday DS and I tackled the big project I had lined up for him while he's in town - replacing nearly all of the lightbulbs in the house with LEDs. It's hard for me to do ceiling fixture lightbulbs on my own, so I figured this would head off future frustration. One bulb is stuck in a vaulted ceiling fixture, so that will go on the list when we have an electrician come out for other stuff. Best results: replacing the recessed can lights in the kitchen with the LED retrofit kit - so much brighter and better looking to boot (I got the Cree 100W kits which seem to be much easier to install than most - flip out levers rather than springy gadget to hold them in place). Also put 100W LEDs in the master closet - can actually tell black socks from blue now! We have a few more to finish up today - just in time as DS heads back to grad school in the morning.

I came across this yesterday and it made me want to never play again (Ill never be that good or that happy)...

With practice and attitude adjustment, you can be. However, you will never be that young again.

I noticed that my SiriusXM subscription was due to renew in a few days, and I remembered that someone here said you should never pay their regular rate.

So I called them and said I wanted to cancel because it wasn't worth that much money to me.

I had the Mostly Music program (80 channels) which would have renewed at $132 plus fees and taxes. They offered me the Select program (140 channels) for $99 plus the same fees and taxes. I accepted.

I'm sure some here could have done even better, but I'm happy. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom