Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finalized our travel plans for Puerto Rico in March. We are trying Airbnb for the first time. The apartment we booked looks awesome and is half the price of the Embassy Suites that we stayed in last year. I hope it lives up to its billing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2R and Walt, we can have the Chilis-nope club. We've got one in town and for the life of me I can't figure out how it stays in business. We have a ton of restaurants in our area and a discerning population - but we also have a university and maybe this year's freshmen haven't figured it out yet.

Since I clearly didn't go to Chili's, how did I spend my second day in a row home sick from work? I did a quick run to the grocery store, ate a lot of soup, planted peas in the garden, and napped on the couch with all three cats while listening to it rain. Rain is rare enough here that I always plant right before or a rainfall - seeds germinate so much better with rainwater.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #83

First real snow of the season, and all the county schools are closed. I was looking at the list and thinking about how much I would have enjoyed that as a kid -- nothing to do but play all day.

Then I realized that in ER, every day is a snow day!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #84

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Birthday today... and a huge winter storm here in colorado offering me a day in the pow.
That's my work for today
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #85
Administrator

I just got back home after an airport run to drop off DD and her family. A bittersweet moment, as I truly enjoy their visits (3 weeks), but also want to get back to our life, which we also enjoy just as much. At lease until the weekend, when my brother arrives.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
MBAustin - good work on the led changeover. DW and I did that also. One question, is there a reason you did the conversion kits as opposed to using standard screw in led bulbs? I only ask because we just changed the bulbs from regular incandescents to screw in led floods.
I did some reading online and saw somewhere that some LED floods get too hot in the recessed cans which can cause the electronics to fail prematurely. Also for a long time, the LED floods out there were smaller than regular floods so it left an unsightly gap around the bulb (however, I noticed at Home Depot that there now seems to be a large selection of LED floods that are the "right" size). I did read that the retrofit kits are nicer looking because you don't have the gap between the bulb and the can, so all things considered I went that route. And I do agree that they look much better than the original can/bulb setup.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #87

So far today: I woke up without an alarm and enjoyed coffee while sitting around. My DH and I put on all of our warm winter gear and walked a mile in the cold Iowa weather.

I went to 9:00 yoga with the lovely retired yoga ladies, so nice and relaxing.

Tonight we are meeting friends (also retired) for early drinks and appetizers. Another day in paradise for us!

Add on for yesterday. I reviewed all of my investment expenses. Vanguard is the clear winner and their expenses were the easiest to find on the website.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
First real snow of the season, and all the county schools are closed. I was looking at the list and thinking about how much I would have enjoyed that as a kid -- nothing to do but play all day.

Then I realized that in ER, every day is a snow day!
All the schools are closed in our area as well, with a unique exception; our local high school has an "e-curriculum" assigned to all students for today, so snow days are no longer an escape from school work. What a bummer!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
All the schools are closed in our area as well, with a unique exception; our local high school has an "e-curriculum" assigned to all students for today, so snow days are no longer an escape from school work. What a bummer!
Wow! There is a family with 5 kids down the road. They don't have internet. It would be a stretch for them financially. The oldest is 13. Its a good thing the kids are home schooled!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, lotsa snow here. Baked a clafoutis experiment using strawberry preserves -- too sweet and a banana bread. Using up stuff in freezer and refrigerator.

The one dog would cheerfully eat the clafoutis but I won't let him.

Started tallying my volunteer mileage for 2016 taxes.

We need to shovel the drive and back patio.

After all this fun, a nap is in order
Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #91

The Christmas photo books I ordered from Blurb arrived today so I put them in envelopes and mailed them off to various relatives. These will be surprises when they show up because I didn't tell anyone they were coming but SIL. Hers was hand-delivered because we almost drive past their house on the way to the P.O. anyway.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #92

This has been a pleasant day. We did not get the big snow that was predicted. Only about 4 inches. It is still snowing just a bit so I didn't want to plow until it quits. It was also cold enough (-5 to +5) that I didn't think the wood stove would warm up the house enough to make it worth trying to do anything up there. I have been getting caught up on entering charges and checks in Quicken, balancing accounts, etc. while commenting on a lot of threads on FIRE. I got a DVD from Santa this year so I think I will watch it this evening - John Wayne in "The Comancheros".
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took the 5 year old to kindergarten on my way to our old house. I grouted and cleaned the bathroom ceramic tile I just put down.

Cooked a chicken in 28 minutes in our new electric pressure cooker for chicken & dumplings. Everyone's cooking soups due to temperatures dropping and pending snow.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Took the 5 year old to kindergarten on my way to our old house. I grouted and cleaned the bathroom ceramic tile I just put down.

Cooked a chicken in 28 minutes in our new electric pressure cooker for chicken & dumplings. Everyone's cooking soups due to temperatures dropping and pending snow.
Hamburger stew in the Instant Pot last night. I have enough to last a couple more days!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Snowblower and I had a date. Surprisingly I was able to knock down the berm and clear it out.

I saw the happiest dog ever today! Unfortunately it was too busy on the road to stop for photos.

It was a blue colored border collie, it liked to catch things in the air. I imagine a great Frisbee dog.

The human was entertaining the dog with snow and snowblower. Thick heavy snow, the machine throwing big chunks. Way up in the air, the dog having its choice of what targets to grab midair. In my minds eye it resembled a kangaroo as it either on its hind legs or in the air, catching a chunk of snow!

A happy dog for sure.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #96

DW had a dr appointment this morning, so,we went to that, back home, a trip to meet a banker to increase the interest rate on my money market from 1bps to 5bps, then to physical therapy. Followed by a lunch (at a place referred to as "canes and walkers" due to the average age of its patrons!). Nearly passed out in the food line, (exhaustion) and then headed home. I slept for about 3 hours. Now it's 10 pm, and I am wide awake. Other than a good nap, not a great day.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up to 6" of snow and 3 degrees. So glad we didn't have to go anywhere early. Luckily DH loves to shovel snow.

Took DD to a doctor appointment. She's all clear to go back to sports after spraining her knee last month. So glad about that. She has a ton of energy and needs the exercise.

Made chicken piccata for dinner. I haven't made it for quite awhile but it turned out just right.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #98

Ok, since this is DAY1 of my retirement, I'll post.

The alarm went off at 9:00 am (yes, I do set an alarm M-F, at least that is the plan to give myself a *chance* to get up at a reasonable time if I want to) and I hit the snooze button no less than 6 times. Up at 10:00 make coffee, shower dress. Then off to the Fidelity office to meet with a previous FA and ask "what can you do for me..and my lump sum pension?". Then to Lowes to drop off a box of Christmas Tree lights that don't work anymore in their "Christmas Tree lights that don't work anymore recycle box"...except that it is now gone ("That program has ended" the service desk girl says). Then stop at a cafe on the way home and pick up a chicken club wrap to eat at home. After lunch, take the two dogs to one of our town's land trust parcels and (boots with ice spikes on) take a 1.5 mile walk in a 33 degree and breezy day. Play fetch the stick at the pond where they usually swim, except now it is frozen solid, so it is more like an ice hockey game. Back home, take the now undecorated Christmas tree out of the house and to the burn/brush pile, store the stand away and vacuum up all the needles ( = DW points!!!). Then go to the shop, sand and primer a rare 1950 VW voltage coil that will sell for $500, then unpack my latest Harbor Freight shopping spree bags and replace the sad wire wheel on my bench grinder. Then back in the house, empty the dryer, fold some laundry ( = more points), make some Gatorade and pack my health club bag and head out to the club. Play racquetball for 2.5 hours (I have been playing Racquetball for 40 years) sauna, shower head home. Heat up some chili, eat, then get the mail and a glass of chardonnay and sit in the leather chair next to the pellet stove and read the junk mail (THAT is a retirement thing.... hey there was a Harbor Freight circular in there.....!). Then upload some new pics to Facebook.... and check this forum.

#thisisgoingtobeawesome
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #99
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post

The alarm went off at 9:00 am (yes, I do set an alarm M-F, at least that is the plan to give myself a *chance* to get up at a reasonable time if I want to) and I hit the snooze button no less than 6 times. Up at 10:00 make coffee, shower dress. Then off to the Fidelity office to meet with a previous FA and ask "what can you do for me..and my lump sum pension?". Then to Lowes to drop off a box of Christmas Tree lights that don't work anymore in their "Christmas Tree lights that don't work anymore recycle box"...except that it is now gone ("That program has ended" the service desk girl says). Then stop at a cafe on the way home and pick up a chicken club wrap to eat at home. After lunch, take the two dogs to one of our town's land trust parcels and (boots with ice spikes on) take a 1.5 mile walk in a 33 degree and breezy day. Play fetch the stick at the pond where they usually swim, except now it is frozen solid, so it is more like an ice hockey game. Back home, take the now undecorated Christmas tree out of the house and to the burn/brush pile, store the stand away and vacuum up all the needles ( = DW points!!!). Then go to the shop, sand and primer a rare 1950 VW voltage coil that will sell for $500, then unpack my latest Harbor Freight shopping spree bags and replace the sad wire wheel on my bench grinder. Then back in the house, empty the dryer, fold some laundry ( = more points), make some Gatorade and pack my health club bag and head out to the club. Play racquetball for 2.5 hours (I have been playing Racquetball for 40 years) sauna, shower head home. Heat up some chili, eat, then get the mail and a glass of chardonnay and sit in the leather chair next to the pellet stove and read the junk mail (THAT is a retirement thing.... hey there was a Harbor Freight circular in there.....!). Then upload some new pics to Facebook.... and check this forum.

#thisisgoingtobeawesome
What a wonderful first day! So happy for you!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post

#thisisgoingtobeawesome
Congrats on your retirement! I'm surprised your dogs let you sleep in that late, ours get us up between 5 am and 6 am every morning!
Closed Thread