Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #1021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There's a van-dwelling Web site where people talk about how to live on two budgets: $500/month or $1000/month. These people do not even have to do tax returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Whew, that sounds hideous. Seriously. Maybe not so bad when one is young, but that is sure not something I'd want to experience now as I am growing older.

To repeat a memorable quote (attributed to numerous ladies, including Mae West and Sophie Tucker),

"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."
There are folks out here that live at and below $1k/month. They live in trailers that are paid for and so they don't have housing expenses. They are either on Medicare or Medicaid so they don't have medical expenses. They have old pickups, but toward the end of the month have to curtail any driving. One has diabetes that is real bad and finally had to move to the city. He struggles to pay rent. The other two have broken backs and do OK, but have issues with pain. They don't have a bad life, they make do pretty nicely with what is available and what is given to them, help out at the food pantry and get food twice a month there, get heating assistance, etc. They are all in their late fourties to fifties. They're just mountain people.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #1022

This morning I finally got around to painting the ceiling in the master bath. We had some water spots (it's embarrassing how long they've been there) and the source of the problem has long been repaired. I'm the resident painter and I really dislike painting ceilings, but I finally pit on my big girl panties and got it done.

This was my first time using the color-changing ceiling paint: it goes on with a pink tint but dries white. It made the job a little easier.

I have the same chore waiting for me at the vacation home. We had tile work done last October and the ceiling got messed up near the shower. Might as well take care of that soon, while I have all the tools and paint gathered.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #1023
Administrator

Visited DM and took her out to lunch. She had shrimp. I had wahoo. Very tasty.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #1024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That's how to do it. My control is binary, all on or off. I will buy a pint of good stuff in the future just not for everyday.
Thanks, I think so too! I don't even take it out of the tub and into a bowl, just get a teaspoon and enjoy a little standing in the kitchen. 5 or 6 little tastes will do it. I get my sugar/creamy fix, put it back in the freezer and leave it there.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #1025
Give me a forum ...

Went to Home Depot and got some redwood lumber. Just finished painting them before the next step, which is building a shade structure for my wife's beloved plants and vegetables. The summer sun already gets here, which will bake everything.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #1026

I checked my garden today and I have zucchini baby flowers. So it's safe to say I will get zucchini in a few weeks. This plant looks very healthy. The only thing is I don't really squash or zucchini, my husband likes them. I did ask him to pick just one. But he didn't understand me and he brought home 6 more plants. Yikes!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You simply MUST try Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla. It's so much better than it sounds like it will be. I am so glad that BestWifeEver has tried it and likes it too. She KNOWS.
Sadly, one the the curses of being a Yankee is that without driving south for several hours I have no local access to Blue Bell Ice Cream. Of course it can be ordered online but the shipping charges make that a bit pricey so I'll pass.

Other than that bit of research, all I did was go to the gym today. Berries and whipped cream for lunch. Yum.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #1028
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Mounted all the heavy transformers to the chassis;

I am not into tubes (have not played with them for many years now), but look this amp up out of curiosity. Power of 60W per channel is very respectable. Most of the cost is in the transformers nowadays. They are probably wound by hand now. On youtube, there are several guys showing how to make vacuum tubes by hand. Oh man, that's too much!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I checked my garden today and I have zucchini baby flowers. So it's safe to say I will get zucchini in a few weeks. This plant looks very healthy. The only thing is I don't really squash or zucchini, my husband likes them. I did ask him to pick just one. But he didn't understand me and he brought home 6 more plants. Yikes!
I had two zucchini plants last year that bloomed from July-October (this is Texas) but not a single zucchini ever appeared. Hope yours don't have the same curse.

Ever tried hiding it in zucchini bread? Yummy!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #1030
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Yesterday- put a second coat of shellac on a shelf unit to hold the components our TV- finally feeling well enough to have some shop time. I'm 4 weeks past the end of my chemo/radiation treatments so most of the bad stuff out of my body finally! CT scan on Thursday to see if it all worked as planned and if so, set for surgery to remove the tumor on my esophagus a week from tomorrow- will reconfigure the stomach to fill in the gap so will be some major changes in eating habits if it works as planned but will at least be around to eat!
I have two friends who have had throat Cancer both with extensive surgery ,chemo & radiation both are doing well . One is 25 years post surgery and one is 12 years post surgery . I hope you beat their records !
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #1031
Give me a forum ...

I wish DaveMartin well too. Hope he will keep us posted on that 2nd place he bought near a river. Have not seen an update on it, or perhaps I missed it.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #1032
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sadly, one the the curses of being a Yankee is that without driving south for several hours I have no local access to Blue Bell Ice Cream. Of course it can be ordered online but the shipping charges make that a bit pricey so I'll pass.

Other than that bit of research, all I did was go to the gym today. Berries and whipped cream for lunch. Yum.
Sorry to hear that! I thought that by now, Blue Bell must surely be all over the country. Oh well. Betcha it will be in your local supermarkets within just a few years.

Today I went grocery shopping for soft foods, in preparation for my dental surgery on Thursday. For a moment, I did not see Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla! I was about to dial 911 but then I saw that they had it hidden off to the side so I grabbed a couple of pints. Also got various other soft, smooth foods like pudding, soup, eggs, and ingredients for smoothies. I think my Vitamix is going to get quite a workout later this week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I had two zucchini plants last year that bloomed from July-October (this is Texas) but not a single zucchini ever appeared. Hope yours don't have the same curse.

Ever tried hiding it in zucchini bread? Yummy!
I always have too many. I play bee, I pollinate them by hands, I leave nothing to chances. I have tried zucchini bread before but I don't like them as much.
I may give them away to my kid or her business partner.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #1034
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I always have too many. I play bee, I pollinate them by hands, I leave nothing to chances. I have tried zucchini bread before but I don't like them as much.
I may give them away to my kid or her business partner.
Squash blossoms are the bomb. Stuff with cheese, egg wash, roll in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them. Wonderful!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Squash blossoms are the bomb. Stuff with cheese, egg wash, roll in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them. Wonderful!
I might try that. I also bought 6 Cinderella pumpkin plants. I don't know if I have room for all 6. Maybe I try the same with pumpkin blossoms.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #1036
Moderator Emeritus

We have been watching a drama called Ordinary Lies that is airing on one of the PBS stations here in Chicago. It is about a car dealership in England where each episode involves one employee's lie and what it leads to. They are not very big lies but the show is quite unsettling as the character tries to evade the results and makes the lies more complicated. The first episode involved a slacker of a salesman who said his wife had died to keep from being fired. The one we just saw was about an employee who was a reformed gambler but had debts piling up and a high-risk pregnant wife.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #1037
Give me a forum ...

Our neighbors from MO. stopped by. We had a lovely time and visit.
They had posted about how close the tornado had come to our old neighborhood but it was a vague description.

OMG I am so glad my DW didn't experience it. The house a quarter mile from us was destroyed, it took out a large garage a little further down the road. It damaged or destroyed 500 homes in the next town over. Luckily no one was killed.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #1038

I took my kid to the local car dealer for replacement of her airbag. She has been worrying about this and I happened to watch TV a few days ago and it was on the news, so one more thing off her list before she sets off to her new job later this year.
Other than that it's very nice weather here and I'm enjoying walking around my garden. I can see my jalapeño pepper seedlings are taking off. Very small growth but still. Same with my super sweet cherry tomato seedlings. They now have 4 leaves and not two. My orange trees have so many blossoms, they smell wonderful, main reason why I planted them. One more apricot tree with lots of blooms. I planted 3 in my small yard. So maybe I will get some dividends this year. Same with the multi variety pluot tree. The garden is buzzing with blooms. Exciting time ahead!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #1039

Went for a walk for the first time in quite while, since we finally have some decent weather. Took the camera with me with a macro (close-up) lens and shot some blossoms, I think they're cherry blossoms, on a tree near the entrance to the development. The images with the dark backgrounds were lighted with a couple of strobes mounted on the lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherry blossoms (1 of 4).jpg (46.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry blossoms (2 of 4).jpg (87.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry blossoms (3 of 4).jpg (54.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry blossoms (4 of 4).jpg (115.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #1040
Give me a forum ...

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/neb33/media/IMG_2634_zpsukc0apfb.jpg.html][/URL

I went hiking and I look for deer horns. It was a great day.
Closed Thread