Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #1141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW also does that and it drives me nuts. It seems the dang washer & dryer are always going. Not to mention the water & sewer bills.

Ah, the things we do for love.
Water is nearly free here because we are surrounded by it. I never pay more than the minimum water bill, which is about $2.xx/month. My washer/dryer are in the laundry room so I don't hear them until I get that cute little LG "song" at the end of the cycle.

I love the fresh scent and feel of clean clothes, especially in the summertime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just joking. Don't know if anyone does the clothes reversing in real life.
I hope not! It doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #1142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I phoned and booked an appointment with a dermatologist for my hubby. This appointment is to check for skin cancer. He has never beefed checked and was worried when I mentioned somebody died from skin cancer.

After that we went for a swim, 15 laps for each. I got to use the jacuzzi for my bad back. I've not had to visit my massage therapist thanks to this jacuzzi. And best yet, we got to a free shower On top. What's not to like.

In between naps and exercise, I've been reasearching for my upcoming trip to the French Polynesia islands. I'm thinking of doing 3-4 islands and skip New Zealand. My husband isn't too keen about a hiking trip after a beach trip, plus we've been to NZ before, on our honeymoon. He prefers to hike or walk in UK. Which is the trip following the beach trip.

I've been learning a lot while doing my reasearch. I think that's the fun of traveling.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #1143

Found two filet mignon steaks in the market half price bin. DW was going to cook them on steel skewers, but the skewers were too long. A little work with a cutting wheel on my Dremel got them to size and I repointed them with my bench grinder.
DW chuckled- "a man and his tools-it's a wonderful thing"
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #1144

It was 10 degrees this morning. It has been snowing the last couple of days. There was 6 to 8 inches on the road with a lot that had melted this morning. I plowed this morning. It will all be melted in a couple of days, but plowing keeps the roads from getting too muddy and rutted.

I was having problems with an ingrown toenail and could not get it to stop bothering me, so I went to the urgent care place. The nurse practitioner numbed it up and trimmed the toenail back including what he called the plate. He said I shouldn't have any problems with it again. I have been dealing with ingrown toenails since I was about 12. If I had known that it could be corrected so easily, I would have had it done years ago. I'll see how the recovery goes and if all is good I'll have the other one done the next time it gives me problems.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #1145

Quote:
DW also does that and it drives me nuts. It seems the dang washer & dryer are always going. Not to mention the water & sewer bills.

Ah, the things we do for love.
DW has instructed me that if it hasn't been worn an entire day it gets worn again before washing. She's tired of laundry despite the cute LG song.
This really happened this last weekend, but realization is setting in
Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #1146
Moderator Emeritus

This really happened this last weekend, but realization is setting in

Well, after all the medical crap that DW has been going through for the last 6 months (me being unscathed during that period), I believe I royally screwed up my right knee. At first I thought this was a bad dream, but it wasn't. How I managed to get in this condition is not for discussion.

My ROMEO group thinks I tore a meniscus. None of them being doctors, I am suspicious of the group consensus. But, never the less, I am having quite a bit of pain, but can walk with no issues.

Seeing I really don't care for doctors as I always think their motive is to wield the knife, I am holding out and hoping whatever I did will magically heal itself, and I can continue my daily routine pain free.

I especially hope this will be the way it goes, since Gumby's recent description of his Young Wife's knee work is not appealing to me. Please pray for my speedy, and scar-free return to normal.

(updates will follow)
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #1147
Give me a forum ...

Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.

Gumby, I did not see your post about your DW's knee surgery until now. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Those freeze'n'squeeze machines are supposed to be great.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #1148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.

Gumby, I did not see your post about your DW's knee surgery until now. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Those freeze'n'squeeze machines are supposed to be great.
Two +1's to the above!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #1149

Aja8888, I pinched something in my knee a couple of years ago and was in major pain. The orthopedic doc told me to take an Aleve every day. I have done that and it is good unless I am up and down ladders all day. Then it flares up.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #1150
Give me a forum ...

I just finished putting the summer tires on my car, and am heading out in a bit to meet a few friends for wings and a couple wobbly pops and to watch the first round of the Masters.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Went to MIL's this morning to help do some stuff in the yard and cut up/dispose of an elderly wood outdoor table that was falling apart. Dropped off a couple of chainsaw blades and a couple pairs of shears to be sharpened and then grilled a couple of yesterday's culled quail for lunch. Grocery shopping and then a meet up with some fellow beekeepers tonight.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #1152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That may well be the case. Several years ago I saw a TV news segment that said banks refer to people who don't pay cc interest charges as "deadbeats".
And all these years I thought DW was insulting me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #1153

I just found out last night that one of my favorite urban gardener, Pathtofreedom blog, died in 2016 at age 69. It's been a sad news for me, I feel down this morning. I've been following this family since 2002, the family has given many people in the LA area so much inspiration. I wonder how his kids are going to manage without him. So today I will spend more time in my painting class. I'm glad to have found this hobby. It lifts me up when I'm down. Let's hope I'll paint my way out of this blue.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #1154
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently today is National Beer Day.

Quote:
Friday, April 7, is National Beer Day, which commemorates April 7, 1933, the day that the Cullen-Harrison Act was enacted.

It was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt on March 22, 1933.

The law allowed for the legal sale of low-alcohol beer in the United States, several months before Prohibition was completely repealed.

Roosevelt made his famous remark upon signing the legislation: “I think this would be a good time for a beer,” noting the end to the nation’s 13-year-long dry spell.

Why April 7 is National Beer Day | WTOP
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #1155

Every day is National Beer Day at my house!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #1156
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Apparently today is National Beer Day.
I plan to celebrate FULLY.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #1157
Administrator

Helped DW make baklava this afternoon. She's the chef, I'm just extra hands needed, and it took a while to set 34 layers. Will bring along the finished product as we visit DD this weekend.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #1158

A couple of folks joined me in having a beer (or two) up at the house today.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #1159
Give me a forum ...

Spent much of the day beekeeping in the backyard and one of my other apiaries. Things are going well this spring and one of the hives is already putting up honey (very early for here). One of the hives has developed a nasty temperament, so as soon as I can buy queens I will have to deal with it.

Now celebrating National Beer Day.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #1160

I worked in the garden this morning. I counted, I now have 8 cucumber plants. My Eden Climber rose is sending loads of nice rose flowers. The garden is very green. One pesky pest keeps eating my young nectarines. So I had to trim some of them off the tree. Who wants a half eaten nectarine. Not me.
After that I went to have 2 hour massage, I guess all those hours standing up painting caused my body some muscle pain. Then I went to have my hair cut and colored. I'm looking 10 years younger again. Yay for no more gray.
Right now my husband is fixing the dish washer, he ordered something from Amazon and replaced the cheap plastic part with something more lasting.
Closed Thread