Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #161
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Said goodbye to our last visitor this morning. We've had family guests since early December, with only 1 day free. Whew! Glad they came, glad they left.
Get one of those pull out couches with the rod that sticks into their back .They will leave after three days .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went out to celebrate the failure of a recent knee surgery. I figure hey, if you party hard to celebrate the good times, party twice as hard to celebrate the ability to weather bad times. It was a themed pub where many rare microbrews were had, and much delicious food was devoured. There were some board games too. It was an awesome time.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Went out to celebrate the failure of a recent knee surgery.
What happened/went wrong?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
What happened/went wrong?
I broke it good enough to require a few different surgeries to try to put it back together again. This was a last effort to make it useful again before the next option became a full knee replacement. I should say the surgery itself was fine, it's just even the great surgeon that I had could only do so much. At this point you could probably make an interesting picture playing connect the dots with all the surgery scars.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

I wish you the best!

I took a three mile walk looking for deer antlers. It finally got up to 11 above and very light wind. The snow is about 20" but soft and fluffy so not to bad breaking a trial.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Special order ceiling tiles arrived for my basement reno. I went to Home Depot and managed to fit 6 boxes of tiles and 10 - 12 foot long pieces of track in my tiny Subaru Impreza with a back seat that doesn't fold down. I had to feed the tracks through a narrow pass through and then through the opening in the headrest of the passenger seat and then out the passenger window.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh no, what have I done? I volunteered through AARP to do tax returns for people and training starts tomorrow. I have to set an alarm, and training is every day this week! No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Oh no, what have I done? I volunteered through AARP to do tax returns for people and training starts tomorrow. I have to set an alarm, and training is every day this week! No good deed goes unpunished.
My condolences! Definitely sounds like w*rk!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Snow shoed in to my cabin which is 1 mile and the snow was deep. Got a fire started and took a look around and came back to a nice warm cabin. Eat dinner there and walked out late afternoon. A beautiful day.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #170

I did some plowing. Broke my plow truck. Again. I just don't understand what the problem could be. Its only been a plow truck for about 25 years!

The automatic transmission shifter got stuck. I can't get in to go in Park. When I discovered this, I drove it back to my place before I turned it off. Sure enough, I can't start it because it won't go into Park. Hopefully, I can finish this story in the "Your recent repair" thread.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

We are both sick with whatever-it-is that is going around this week. So, after we went out and got hot soup for lunch, we spent the afternoon at my house watching half a dozen Netflix shows together. So much better than being sick while w*rking.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I did some plowing. Broke my plow truck. Again. I just don't understand what the problem could be. Its only been a plow truck for about 25 years!

The automatic transmission shifter got stuck. I can't get in to go in Park. When I discovered this, I drove it back to my place before I turned it off. Sure enough, I can't start it because it won't go into Park. Hopefully, I can finish this story in the "Your recent repair" thread.
Got neutral?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Hermit >>> sounds like transmission issues. If you were in a lot of snow/ice things could of got froze up or iced up and not working. Can you get it in some place where it is warm to see if that is the issue. I have seen this before.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Hermit >>> sounds like transmission issues. If you were in a lot of snow/ice things could of got froze up or iced up and not working. Can you get it in some place where it is warm to see if that is the issue. I have seen this before.
I just had a new muffler put on. That might have caused a problem. I will crawl under it today. It is supposed to be 40 degrees and should not be too bad. I keep saying I'm too old to be crawling around under cars in the dirt and snow, but sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Got neutral?
I tried to find a spot where it would start in neutral. No luck. Its bound up pretty good. I looked under the dash and everything looked ok under there.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I looked under the dash and everything looked ok under there.
(Me, I'd likely look in the trunk....of a pickup.)

Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

New toy day

I bought a new bass and after making adjustments to the action, intonation, and pickups I then enjoyed playing it for a couple hours.

I also bought longer VGA and USB cables and connected my desktop computer to my 67" TV. Previously, my computer was under the kitchen table with a 24" monitor, but now I can internet from the recliner...
Old 01-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Had my shingles shot yesterday, at the cost of $213.00 Canadian. (May be shutting the proverbial barn door, but if it helps prevent another attack then I'm more than happy.)
Your recent double bout of shingles was a good reminder. I got my shingles vaccine today at Shoppers Drug Mart. $199 for the vaccine and $20 for the dispensing fee. People say that Costco and Real Canadian Superstore are cheaper, but SDM is very conveniently located and gives me good service, so it is my regular pharmacy.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
SDM is very conveniently located and gives me good service, so it is my regular pharmacy.
We've used Rexall since we relocated to Belleville in 2009.....have liked all the pharmacists, (there's a very high turnover), but they're understaffed and overworked...we've hung in, ('loyalty' to the employees, perhaps), but I can envision us switching to SDM at some point.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #180

Had to run an errand today to within 10 minutes of "the old place" so last night chatted with a coworker, part of a group of 8-10 or so who had lunch together in the cafeteria almost every day. Was weird parking in the visitor lot, and then going the lobby and waiting to get "signed in".... and yet somehow very refreshing/rewarding. Saw a bunch of people there who said "I thought you were gone" and I just moved my unzipped jacket and pointed to the red "Visitor" badge. Of course at lunch I had to hear about how bad everything was..... and yet somehow very refreshing/rewarding.
Closed Thread