Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #2121
Administrator

Preventative maintenance on my car. Oil change, transmission fluid change, air cleaner and cabin air filter replace, rotate the tires, inspect the brakes. Clean out and vacuum the inside and trunk. I'm about to roll 288k miles on the odometer, and regular maintenance is the key to that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 05:35 AM   #2122
Moderator Emeritus

Made a hiking stick from a limb of a downed tree. Also sawed through my finger nail into my finger a little. Starting to wonder if we get clumsier as we age.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #2123
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
First day without A/C since April. Winter in Florida, high only 82.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #2124
Gone but not forgotten

target2019....
.................................................. ................................

Met up with my buddy @6:30 AM which meant my 20 minute walk turned into 1+ miles.
Cleaned both cars
Received and sent in our vote by mail
Final test on the dishwasher... full load long wash... no leaks.
Agreed with jeanie to have our two local kids in for my soon birthday... favorite visit to local stir fry.
Took in the hummingbird feeders... they've left for Texas.
Watched news... MSNBC, FOX, CNN, and OAN...
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #2125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched the salmon migrating up the local creek. There is a bridge over the creek which has a pool on the downstream side before a long rapid run. The salmon rest here before the next sprint or recover if they have failed to get up the rapids. Interesting to watch.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #2126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
........ I thought the best was a guy dressed in an inflatable pickle costume.........
Ever wonder what the Chinese factory workers think when they make us this stuff?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #2127
Give me a forum ...

Oh, they are used to weird stuff that they make of US consumption, I am sure.

Don't you think they would first be traumatized when sewing pants that 3 or 4 of them could fit into?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #2128
Give me a forum ...

Just thought of something. Recently, watching a Youtube video from a man who married a Chinese woman and lived there, he said many Chinese had no exposure to Westerners. He said Westerner visitors should not be surprised when asked for a photo with the Chinese, so they could later show their friends the group photo with exotic visitors.

Now, imagine garment workers who have not met any American, but make clothes for them. What do they see in their mind?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #2129

Had a pre-surgery screening for a colonoscopy next week, then gym, then a grocery run including Halloween candy for the kiddies tomorrow night. I felt it necessary to do a "quality assurance check" to make sure it's all good for them. So far it is.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #2130

Many local communities changed their trick or treat hours to tonight, since the forecast for Wednesday evening is for extremely strong rain and very cold. Lots of last minute scrambling around here.

We're lucky in that there have never been trick or treaters on our little street. Guess they know enough to stay off our lawns!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #2131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Ever wonder what the Chinese factory workers think when they make us this stuff?
They probably have no idea what a pickle is.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #2132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
They probably have no idea what a pickle is.

Oh yeah? Just found this on the Web. Welcome to Chinese-style cucumber pickle.

PS. I read the recipes to see what makes it "Chinese-style". Some add sesame oil. Others add soy sauce and ginger slices.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #2133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh yeah? Just found this on the Web. Welcome to Chinese-style cucumber pickle.

Not quite the same:

pickle.jpeg
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #2134
Give me a forum ...

OK.

That would scare the dimsum out of them, the same as the humongous pair of jeans.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #2135

I finished laying tile in the downstairs bath room this afternoon. Washed out the bucket and tools outside in the snow.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #2136

Finished the new kegerator the other day so I’m brewing a pale ale today so I can fill it up. Just kegged my porter which was awaiting its new home, and I’ve got one more tap to populate. I need to figure out which beer style is next.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Finished the new kegerator the other day so I’m brewing a pale ale today so I can fill it up. Just kegged my porter which was awaiting its new home, and I’ve got one more tap to populate. I need to figure out which beer style is next.
Pictures please!

The mechanical room ts just behind where the wet bar will be in my home theater. I definately need a kegorator back there with taps over the sink.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #2138

We had a nice snow last night. About 5 or 6 inches. This morning I put the plow and chains on the old truck and plowed over to the elderly lady that had the accident a month or so ago. She and her daughter stopped by yesterday afternoon to ask if I would plow so she could get out if it snowed overnight. When I finished that I burned a couple of slash piles. They are down to smoldering and will continue until I put any remaining embers out before it gets dark. It is a pretty day with lots of sun and a few fluffy white clouds. I have to sit here and watch the day go by as I keep an eye on the slash pile ashes. It will be tough, but I think I can handle it.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #2139

All the political advertisements and junk mail are now even more irrelevant than ever. We voted today so for us the election is over.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #2140
Recycles dryer sheets

I went in for an “upper and a lower” (Endoscopy and Colonoscopy). My sweet little granddaughter couldn’t believe a doctor would schedule me for something on a special day like Halloween. When I told her, she looked at me and said “Don’t they know you have Grandchildren?” I’m good for another 5 years and it’s time for a nap. So great to be retired!
Closed Thread