Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

That was my thought although I'd never heard or seen it when I took the photo. In person it was much more dramatic! The green and pink really popped. That's the only reason I took a picture of clouds(we see them, somedays).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Bought an additional 5.6kWh worth of lithium batteries to have a total of 22.5kWh. Am nowhere near finished with this project, but realized that the existing batteries would be configured into 3 banks of 48V, and I'd rather have 4 banks for a nice even number. The cabinet to house them will also have a more pleasing symmetry.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Bought an additional 5.6kWh worth of lithium batteries to have a total of 22.5kWh. Am nowhere near finished with this project, but realized that the existing batteries would be configured into 3 banks of 48V, and I'd rather have 4 banks for a nice even number. The cabinet to house them will also have a more pleasing symmetry.
I'd like to see how you are doing this. Maybe a separate thread?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

ERD50 also expressed an interest. I am tempted to do a thread, but still have quite a few technical decisions left to make. I would have to explain a lot of trade-offs which I am still trying to make.

So, I'd rather wait till things get more concrete, and I myself learn about stuff that I don't know. Yes, even as an EE, there were things I did not know that I did not know. I made up for lack of knowledge by reading a lot, as I usually do. It has been as much fun as things I did at work (but costs me money instead of paying).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's something more exciting.

My stocks are up a collective 2.36% today. Combined with some MFs that I still have, cash, and bonds, the portfolio is up 1.59% today.

What happened? The Oracle of N'awlins lost her power? Is its effect delayed more than last time?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to my DS's wedding. He will be 40 the beginning of April and his wife is 39 also. Neither one had ever been married. I often wondered if I would still be alive when they got married. Life is good!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Finished my bathroom remodel. At least my part. We're having a glass guy make a shower door and niche shelf
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #28

Yesterday:
Took the tree and outside lights down. Made older son load the decorations into the attic.
Took older son out driving (new learners permit) to take the christmas tree to the local tree recycling drop off.
Took older son to a craigslist purchase/exchange so he could buy some gaming thing he wanted.

Today:
Kids back to school after a very long winter break. YAY!!!!
Did laundry.
Bought a dishwasher... even sprung to have it installed since DH has said he's reaching a point where it takes too long to recover from large projects that require crawling under a counter. (He just redid under our kitchen sink to solve a leak 2 weeks ago and has been grumbling that he's getting too old for this.)
Restocked our pantry with a Costco run.
Picked up kids after their robotics club and am now listening to older son practice piano... he's pretty darn good.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #29

This morning I went to my monthly meeting at the quilt shop. When I got home, DH was vacuuming so I mopped the kitchen floor. Might as well have the whole place clean.

I must say, I’m liking the new & improved DH since he has recovered from the hip replacement. Before the new hip, it hurt him to do anything physical and he would spend the day sitting around the house getting bored and grumpy. Understandable, since he was in pain, but still a little hard to live with some days.

Now that he’s fully recovered he’s back to his normal disposition. Puttering around the house with some repair projects, going to the gym, pitching in with the chores. It will be nice to have him back as a hiking/biking partner this year.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sitting here in NH waiting to get hammered by a blizzard today. My MegaCorp actually shut down the site today due to the storm!!
Below 0 deg much of last week.

Looking at OMY ... giving notice Spring 2019. I'm 63yo now and don't know if I can wait that long.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #31

Awoke this morning to a 4.4 earthquake.

Actually, that’s minor; reminded me of living in the East Bay in the 1980s, and frequently hearing the cedar shake shingles scraping each other outside the BR window during small earthquakes. Experts say 2018 is likely to be a year of more earthquakes but, it sounds like the risk is closer to the equator.

This is the first earthquake I’ve noticed since returning to SF Bay Area in early 2015. So, we’ve now we’ve experienced all four California ‘seasons’ since our return:

- Flood (and mudslides)
- Drought
- Fire
- Earthquake
Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #32

This has been a very busy holiday and start of the new year. DS drove from Virginia with his two dogs and got to DD's place the night before Christmas. We had a great Christmas day with the kids and DD's inlaws. The next day the kids and I all drove to my place in the mountains. The following day my son's dogs took off and we have not seen them since. Spent a couple of days looking for the dogs and then hired a lady that tracks missing pets with bloodhounds. She and her dogs tracked them what must be about 40 miles through some very rugged country and down the Platte River to just southwest of the Denver metro area where the river leaves the road and goes into a very narrow canyon that is too steep to traverse. We used the bloodhounds to check the canyon exit on the other side and there was no sign of the dogs there.

The trackers cost about $1k per day for two days. On top of that, I was so upset the first day that I ground my teeth and broke out an old filling so now I have to get a root canal and crown. That will be over $1.5k.

Other than the above, it has been great to see DS and to have both kids and SIL up for the holidays!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Awoke this morning to a 4.4 earthquake.

Actually, that’s minor; reminded me of living in the East Bay in the 1980s, and frequently hearing the cedar shake shingles scraping each other outside the BR window during small earthquakes. Experts say 2018 is likely to be a year of more earthquakes but, it sounds like the risk is closer to the equator.

This is the first earthquake I’ve noticed since returning to SF Bay Area in early 2015. So, we’ve now we’ve experienced all four California ‘seasons’ since our return:

- Flood (and mudslides)
- Drought
- Fire
- Earthquake
I remember those earthquakes! I lived in the SF Bay Area from 1968-1973. The earthquakes were a little disconcerting but fairly light, and luckily not disastrous during that time period. The heaviest one I ever experienced happened to hit when I was making out with a boyfriend and I thought the feeling was due to emotional intensity, not a seismic event. Luckily I was long gone before the big Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.

Later, I lived in San Diego from 1977-1984, and we had a few very mild earthquakes there during that time, milder than those I had experienced in Northern California. I learned to look at my fish tank to see if the water was swishing around, to verify if we were having a minor earthquake.

I also experienced drought and wildfires during my California years, but I don't recall much in the way of flooding except in the Tijuana river bed (which is a river so that did not seem too unexpected to me). It's been a long time, though so maybe I have forgotten.

We don't have earthquakes here, or at least we have had none that I have ever noticed. But the hurricanes more than make up for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

I cooked a turkey on Saturday so today is turkey soup and turkey tetrazzini to use up the leftovers .It is soup weather even in Florida this week.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #35

The huge radiator on my back porch cracked in the cold last night, ice formed all over the floor. Heating man is here now; the same thing, he reports, is happening all over town in this extreme cold we've been having. The cracked radiator weighs (he said) about 700 lbs and will have to be jack hammered to remove it. Then the question is whether a new one of that size can be found. Meanwhile, as he's working to drain the system I'm huddled here in lots of blankets. Old house fun!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #36
Administrator

Just dropped off my brother. We’ve had family house guests since the 20th, at one point 17 people. Now it’s back to just the two of us. I love it when they show up and I love it when they leave.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #37

Gym day today, both of us skipped a few days during the holidays and now it's payback time. Ouch!

Being grateful that we're not getting any snow. I may have seen a few snowflakes when we were leaving the gym but I'm not even sure of that - could have been flakes of leaves in the wind, which is strong and gusty. But here it is cold as a witch's um, bosom.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #38
Administrator

Just came back in from shoveling snow in the middle of "the Bomb". It's still coming down, so I'll have to go back out later, but it should be a little less work then. The wind is fierce here in coastal Connecticut. A branch falling out of one of my maple trees missed beaning me by about a foot. There is also substantial coastal flooding; yet another reason not to build your house down on the beach.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #39

Slept in, went to the gym, told DW to pick up a powerball(cash pay out) took a nap and now I'm up.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #40

The snow has stopped here, so DH and I went out to shovel. He got a head start and by the time I bundled up and got out there the chore was almost done. Since I was dressed and wanted to burn some calories, I shoveled the neighbor’s driveway for them.
Closed Thread