What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I smoked six slabs of baby back ribs and made cornbread. Delivered some to the son and daughter in-law of close friends as she in the midst of a health issue and they have a one year old to care for. Took some to our friends and will also take some to my father and brother. And yes, we will have some, too.

We got a big dump of snow...I spent 2 hours shoveling my long and wide driveway, and then another hour clearing the decks and sidewalks.

Had a routine colonoscopy this morning. Smooth procedure other than waiting forever to get started. Got there at 10:30 for 5 minutes of paperwork but didn't get wheeled into the procedure room until 12:30. And 2:00 before getting out of the clinic. Shouldn't take that frigging long. Anyway....no polyps but a little diverticulosis. Doc said pretty common at my age and to eat more fiber. Said come back in 10 years but that may be my last. I'll spare you the details of yesterday's prepping as that totally sucked.

Baked ravioli for dinner and awaiting the SpaceX launch scheduled for just after midnight tonight. Should be nice.

I asked the DW what she wanted for her birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. She said "a new washer and dryer". They will be delivered tomorrow.

You are on thin ice, buddy.

You may be saved if you also buy her some clothing, jewelry, or chocolate.

Did a small dump run, part of slow motion Swedish death cleaning. Scored some perfectly sized maple rounds for free via craigslist. Accepted a couple of dog sitting jobs for next month. Ate a whole lot of asparagus smothered in hollandaise. Enjoyed the uptick in the market.

Started planning the RV trip with a friend of mine. We are going to Cedarville, MI in June for 2 weeks to build a 17' Northeaster Dory. Bringing the motorcycle on a trailer and using the trailer to haul the boat (and motorcycle) back to Texas.

Hey aja - Recent FIRE here. We are seriously considering joining the RV set. Motorcycle is consideration. Can I ask what is your setup?

I made a tactical error. I allowed DH to teach me how to run his new snowblower.

I made a tactical error. I allowed DH to teach me how to run his new snowblower.

I tried that, but DW didn't fall for it. She does not share my enthusiasm for power [-]toys[/-] tools.

Roasted a chicken in the oven.

Made appointments for an MRI and pre-testing for an endoscopy. Oh, the joys of growing older!

This is for yesterday, but...stayed home in the morning while we had a little late winter snowstorm, which happened to cause quite a few accidents. So nice to stay home until the weather improves! After it warmed up a bit I was able to join a friend for lunch at our local Botanical Center.

Just got back home from a couple of days in Denver. DS drove out from Virginia to see his dog. He is going to leave her with DD and her hubby while she puts on a few pounds. We all went out to eat a few times along with a great meal at DD's place with another neice. It was good to spend time with the "kids" (late 20s to late 30s).

Found a new dentist here is greater Portlandia, today. DW gets dental coverage as part of her retirement benefits, as did I until Medicare. It never occurred to me that I could go onto her dental plan once mine lapsed with moving onto Medicare. Long story short, I had to sit out 6 months of coverage because I didn't sign up right away, but now I have a new dentist and dental insurance that covers most routine stuff, for $5 a month.

Last edited:
Went on a long bike ride. Too long. I gotta find a comfortable seat. My aging butt can’t handle the seat I have.

I packed a picnic bag and we went wine tasting at a couple of wineries in Suisun Valley. It was sunny and in the 70s and a pretty nice way to spend a Wednesday afternoon.

Shoveled. Who needs a gym? Did not lose power - so far!

Made a decision to cut down 3 large trees in the back yard, two of which could take out the house, if they had a mind to. One is included in the picture.

This is my version of "blowing that dough". Back in the day I would have done one at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 41
Oh boy! Here, I have been doing my daily walks (3 times/day) in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals. High of 70s, low of 50s.

Of course, I'll pay for it comes summer. Or not. I can escape to my high-country home at 7,000 ft. Or I can go north in my RV. All the way to Alaska, as currently planned.

Hey aja - Recent FIRE here. We are seriously considering joining the RV set. Motorcycle is consideration. Can I ask what is your setup?

We have a 1994 Ford 350 based RV (Tradewinds?), but it is in very good shape. We are going to trailer a Goldwing motorcycle and use the trailer to bring back the boat. We will be building a rack to tie the boat to above (or next to) the bike.

IMG_20160821_161857 (1).jpg

Had coffee with DS before he went off to w**k; started a crockpot of cheesy potato/onion soup for dinner, washed both cars--then the rain started:LOL:
Heading to lunch with DSIL in a couple of hours.

Shoveled. Who needs a gym? Did not lose power - so far!

Made a decision to cut down 3 large trees in the back yard, two of which could take out the house, if they had a mind to. One is included in the picture.

This is my version of "blowing that dough". Back in the day I would have done one at a time.
I had three gargantuan trees removed from my lot, right after buying this house. Any of them could have taken out my house or any of six other houses that they hung over. I felt bad about removing trees (hey, I like trees and shade as much as anybody), but honestly it was such a good decision. It is so nice to hear the wind blow and never worry about the trees. Also, no need to clean up fallen branches, leaves, and so on, or worry about fallen branches breaking the power lines and causing a blackout for me and for others on my block. It was expensive but it's just a one time expense since I do not plan to plant any more trees on my lot.

Beautiful photo, by the way!

This looks a whole lot like our back yard today!

We have a whole forest out back which I left untouched when I had the house built. It’s pretty to look at, but I eye the trees every time a nor’easter comes through. DW’s theory is that the trees all protect each other and the house from the wind, and the house shields the trees from some of the wind, so better not to cut any trees down, or we’ll disrupt the mutual wind protection treaty. [emoji4]

Not so sure about that theory, but at least it helps to rationalize leaving the trees up each year. Very reluctant to cut down growing things if it can be avoided.

Dental surgeon this morning to have the "unveiling" as he called it of two posts put in my jaw last December. He cut the gum and removed the center threaded plug and inserted the stud in each location for the new tooth. He stitched me up and all is well, except for the residual bleeding. :blush:

In three weeks, I visit the dentist for the impressions for the new teeth.

Gosh, this is so much fun I can't stand it! :facepalm:

Gym day, then a grocery run from memory since we forgot the list. Did pretty good, only forgot three item, all non critical.

Cooked a filet mignon steak and a loaded baked potato for late lunch/early dinner. Now I'm full as a tick.

Went to see “Get Out”—the comic/horror movie that was a best picture nominee and which won best screenplay. Really good imo.

Mortared in a couple of bricks to finish off my front patio and trimmed and sanded my "workbench on wheels" then put on a coat of spar poly.

Cleared some of the heavy wet snow we got last night. Spent the day watching our granddaughter and rotating loads on the generator since we lost power last night. We have a small Honda 2kw gen so can only run a few things at a time. At least it keeps the house warm, the food cold, the phones charged and the internet up. Even watched some TV too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom