Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #481
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a small dump run, part of slow motion Swedish death cleaning. Scored some perfectly sized maple rounds for free via craigslist. Accepted a couple of dog sitting jobs for next month. Ate a whole lot of asparagus smothered in hollandaise. Enjoyed the uptick in the market.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #482
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Started planning the RV trip with a friend of mine. We are going to Cedarville, MI in June for 2 weeks to build a 17' Northeaster Dory. Bringing the motorcycle on a trailer and using the trailer to haul the boat (and motorcycle) back to Texas.
Hey aja - Recent FIRE here. We are seriously considering joining the RV set. Motorcycle is consideration. Can I ask what is your setup?
Old 03-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #483
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made a tactical error. I allowed DH to teach me how to run his new snowblower.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I made a tactical error. I allowed DH to teach me how to run his new snowblower.
I tried that, but DW didn't fall for it. She does not share my enthusiasm for power toys tools.

Roasted a chicken in the oven.

Made appointments for an MRI and pre-testing for an endoscopy. Oh, the joys of growing older!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #485

This is for yesterday, but...stayed home in the morning while we had a little late winter snowstorm, which happened to cause quite a few accidents. So nice to stay home until the weather improves! After it warmed up a bit I was able to join a friend for lunch at our local Botanical Center.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #486

Just got back home from a couple of days in Denver. DS drove out from Virginia to see his dog. He is going to leave her with DD and her hubby while she puts on a few pounds. We all went out to eat a few times along with a great meal at DD's place with another neice. It was good to spend time with the "kids" (late 20s to late 30s).
Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #487
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Found a new dentist here is greater Portlandia, today. DW gets dental coverage as part of her retirement benefits, as did I until Medicare. It never occurred to me that I could go onto her dental plan once mine lapsed with moving onto Medicare. Long story short, I had to sit out 6 months of coverage because I didn't sign up right away, but now I have a new dentist and dental insurance that covers most routine stuff, for $5 a month.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #488
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a long bike ride. Too long. I gotta find a comfortable seat. My aging butt can’t handle the seat I have.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #489
Give me a forum ...

I packed a picnic bag and we went wine tasting at a couple of wineries in Suisun Valley. It was sunny and in the 70s and a pretty nice way to spend a Wednesday afternoon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #490
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shoveled. Who needs a gym? Did not lose power - so far!

Made a decision to cut down 3 large trees in the back yard, two of which could take out the house, if they had a mind to. One is included in the picture.

This is my version of "blowing that dough". Back in the day I would have done one at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (838.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #491
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy! Here, I have been doing my daily walks (3 times/day) in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals. High of 70s, low of 50s.

Of course, I'll pay for it comes summer. Or not. I can escape to my high-country home at 7,000 ft. Or I can go north in my RV. All the way to Alaska, as currently planned.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #492
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRider View Post
Hey aja - Recent FIRE here. We are seriously considering joining the RV set. Motorcycle is consideration. Can I ask what is your setup?
We have a 1994 Ford 350 based RV (Tradewinds?), but it is in very good shape. We are going to trailer a Goldwing motorcycle and use the trailer to bring back the boat. We will be building a rack to tie the boat to above (or next to) the bike.

IMG_20160821_161857 (1).jpg
Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #493
Give me a forum ...

Had coffee with DS before he went off to w**k; started a crockpot of cheesy potato/onion soup for dinner, washed both cars--then the rain started
Heading to lunch with DSIL in a couple of hours.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #494
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Shoveled. Who needs a gym? Did not lose power - so far!

Made a decision to cut down 3 large trees in the back yard, two of which could take out the house, if they had a mind to. One is included in the picture.

This is my version of "blowing that dough". Back in the day I would have done one at a time.
I had three gargantuan trees removed from my lot, right after buying this house. Any of them could have taken out my house or any of six other houses that they hung over. I felt bad about removing trees (hey, I like trees and shade as much as anybody), but honestly it was such a good decision. It is so nice to hear the wind blow and never worry about the trees. Also, no need to clean up fallen branches, leaves, and so on, or worry about fallen branches breaking the power lines and causing a blackout for me and for others on my block. It was expensive but it's just a one time expense since I do not plan to plant any more trees on my lot.

Beautiful photo, by the way!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #495
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post

This looks a whole lot like our back yard today!

We have a whole forest out back which I left untouched when I had the house built. It’s pretty to look at, but I eye the trees every time a nor’easter comes through. DW’s theory is that the trees all protect each other and the house from the wind, and the house shields the trees from some of the wind, so better not to cut any trees down, or we’ll disrupt the mutual wind protection treaty. [emoji4]

Not so sure about that theory, but at least it helps to rationalize leaving the trees up each year. Very reluctant to cut down growing things if it can be avoided.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #496
Moderator Emeritus

Dental surgeon this morning to have the "unveiling" as he called it of two posts put in my jaw last December. He cut the gum and removed the center threaded plug and inserted the stud in each location for the new tooth. He stitched me up and all is well, except for the residual bleeding.

In three weeks, I visit the dentist for the impressions for the new teeth.

Gosh, this is so much fun I can't stand it!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #497

Gym day, then a grocery run from memory since we forgot the list. Did pretty good, only forgot three item, all non critical.

Cooked a filet mignon steak and a loaded baked potato for late lunch/early dinner. Now I'm full as a tick.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #498
Moderator Emeritus

Went to see “Get Out”—the comic/horror movie that was a best picture nominee and which won best screenplay. Really good imo.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Mortared in a couple of bricks to finish off my front patio and trimmed and sanded my "workbench on wheels" then put on a coat of spar poly.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #500
Recycles dryer sheets

Cleared some of the heavy wet snow we got last night. Spent the day watching our granddaughter and rotating loads on the generator since we lost power last night. We have a small Honda 2kw gen so can only run a few things at a time. At least it keeps the house warm, the food cold, the phones charged and the internet up. Even watched some TV too.
Closed Thread