What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to take our cocker spaniel bitch to the ER vet today. After extensive radiography, her troubles were diagnosed as a tummy ache. A $900 tummy ache I might add.

-14 this morning. I took the early morning bus to the dentist; had to walk about 6 blocks and was pretty frozen. Came home and sat near the sunny south facing window with a cat on my lap, working on that great time sucker, ancestry.com. My tree is up to about 900 people now, despite several ancestors with frustrating dead ends. Way too frigid to go out again today. I'm contemplating finally taking the Christmas tree down, but I like the lights so much :)

-14 this morning. .... Way too frigid to go out again today. I'm contemplating finally taking the Christmas tree down, but I like the lights so much :)

Me too. I just plugged in our garland on our balcony and plugged in our tree lights. Ours are still up here; I enjoy them and when it is -20 or so outside it gives home a special touch even though we are long past Christmas. I love seeing them sparkle inside and outside.

Clearly it doesn't take much to amuse me and my family. :cool:

We will get them packed away once this cold snap eases...but for now they make me smile. :)

What started as a simple task for DH this morning turned into a project. The bathroom sink was draining slowly, so he cleaned out the trap. While replacing the trap he noticed that it now has a small hole in it so it needs to be replaced.

It’s hard to work behind the pedestal sink, and we’ve never really liked the pedestal sink, so let’s replace it with a vanity cabinet. As long as we are doing plumbing we should go ahead and replace the shut-off valves that are getting difficult to turn.

Off to Lowe’s we went (not a quick trip here in the mountains) and came home with a vanity and a bunch of plumbing parts. We got the old sink removed before it was time to go watch the Eagles playoff game with a group of friends.

What started as a simple task for DH this morning turned into a project. The bathroom sink was draining slowly, so he cleaned out the trap. While replacing the trap he noticed that it now has a small hole in it so it needs to be replaced.

It’s hard to work behind the pedestal sink, and we’ve never really liked the pedestal sink, so let’s replace it with a vanity cabinet. As long as we are doing plumbing we should go ahead and replace the shut-off valves that are getting difficult to turn.

Off to Lowe’s we went (not a quick trip here in the mountains) and came home with a vanity and a bunch of plumbing parts. We got the old sink removed before it was time to go watch the Eagles playoff game with a group of friends.

A one trip to Lowe's job? Plumbing? Wow!! (and the Eagles won, too!):)

I don't want to w*rk, so I banged on my (electronic) drum all day!

Drank coffee with DW for a few hours earlier, to boost my motivation. Great day so far, and it's almost time for dinner!

Took DW in for her first cataract surgery (second is a month from now).

A 6:15 am appointment makes for a very long day! And with an inch of fresh snow on the ground and still coming down, it was a longer trip than usual. Everyone on the road was behaving well though.

I'm doing computer stuff today with maybe a little cleaning later. The kids are all gone and I spent the weekend skiing at Keystone. The skiing was nice, but two days and I am pretty wiped out physically. My son's dogs never did show up so he went back to Virginia without them. I am hoping he does OK in school this semester.

Got back from big lunch brunch with DW.

Now printing out Power of Attorney forms from Nolo Willmaker. I hate this stuff, but I'll get back to banging on my electronic drum all day after I finish!

Workout, walk, napped at the pool. Now at the Apple store Genius Bar. DW claimed that her new phone wouldn’t Work- no face recognition. But she never took the plastic cover off screen since she got it. Plastic screen cover off - now it works.

Had to take our cocker spaniel bitch to the ER vet today. After extensive radiography, her troubles were diagnosed as a tummy ache. A $900 tummy ache I might add.
I feel your pain. Vets seems to be catching the human medicine disease where every issue is a bank buster. Our pup was off her feed, multiple tests determined a bladder infection. A couple of antibiotics later, she was good as new. That was "only" $650.

Back from warm Florida. Well much warmer than here. Today was a relaxing catch up day at home. Did a little work, ran some errands, and I saw my parents and my niece. I shoveled my folks' deck and around their cars. I am going to get them signed up for snow shoveling service.

Played nine holes this afternoon. Next couple of days will be in the low 30's and teens at night, so no golf. But that's ok as I have prep work to do tomorrow for a colonoscopy on Wednesday morning. Tomorrow I will give a recap of the days events. :)

Workout, walk, napped at the pool. Now at the Apple store Genius Bar. DW claimed that her new phone wouldn’t Work- no face recognition. But she never took the plastic cover off screen since she got it. Plastic screen cover off - now it works.

New goggles for skiing last weekend. Things cleared up a lot when I took the plastic film off the lens. :facepalm:

Snowing here right now. Amazing....2nd snow of the year for my area. I can remember going years with no sign of snow. Had a colonoscopy scheduled tomorrow morning but rescheduled for March. With wind chills near zero in the morning and possibly slippery roads, I didn't want to run the risk of going through prep and not getting to the clinic. My designated driver appreciated the postponement. I actually hate not getting it over with tho. And to top it off.....my garage door spring broke. I guess the cold weather put extra stress on the spring(wheels not sliding through the rails easily) and it snapped. Born loser. I called the local garage door company and they said that had already received several similar calls. Oh well......

Steel isn't so fragile that a little cold will break a spring. They work fine up here all winter for decades even when it's -35. There must be something else wrong with the door.

Gym day, light grocery run on the way home. Tomorrow we're supposed to get a little bit of snow so we're planning on staying home. DW, who in her 20's drove about 50 miles each way to her job in all and any weather, now gets freaked out at the thought of having to drive anywhere in even an inch or so of snow. She says it's because she is now "older and wiser". I had another thought, but just said "Yes, dear".

Y'see, I'm wiser now too.:D

Steel isn't so fragile that a little cold will break a spring. They work fine up here all winter for decades even when it's -35. There must be something else wrong with the door.

Garage door springs are good for only so many cycles. I think if it was approaching its normal limit, extreme cold might hasten its end a bit.

DW had a follow-up check after yesterday's cataract surgery. They detected high pressure in the eyeball from swelling, and gave her some drops to reduce it.

On the way home, she suddenly perked up and said "Oh, this is amazing." Her vision cleared up with the normal pressure, and she spent the rest of the afternoon covering first one eye, then the other. The difference was striking, as the operated eye, now cataract-free, sees more clearly and colors are much more vivid.

I had the same experience five years ago, so I have to smile at what she's going through.

Those who are on the fence about whether to have this done should think hard about it. Truly life changing IMHO.

Garage door springs are good for only so many cycles.

That's what I learned when one of ours broke. The number of ~10,000 cycles comes to mind but I may be mistaken on that.

I don't "do" ladders or high tension anything anymore since I'm worth far more to DW alive and uninjured than any amount of money I'd save on a DIY project so I also just call the garage door folks.

Those who are on the fence about whether to have this done should think hard about it. Truly life changing IMHO.

DW had laser surgery about 9 years ago; she had worn glasses all her life, and in fact had to put on glasses in order to see the clock when she woke up....now she can just about say "Oh, that one poor ant over there across the yard is limping".

On the way home, she suddenly perked up and said "Oh, this is amazing." Her vision cleared up with the normal pressure, and she spent the rest of the afternoon covering first one eye, then the other. The difference was striking, as the operated eye, now cataract-free, sees more clearly and colors are much more vivid.

This was DW's experience with her cataract surgery also. An added benefit was that she stopped running into things with the car. :cool:

As far as me, at 74, there is no detectable cataract issues with my eyes. I must be lucky in that regard.

That's what I thought, too! :D

In my case I waited until there was no choice about it, because my grandfather was 100% blind (white cane and all) after cataract surgery back in 1949, due to retinal detachments during his surgeries. Two of his sons also had retinal detachments. Because of this unfortunate family history, cataract surgery has terrified me to an irrational extent ever since I was a tiny tot. Luckily, surgical techniques (both for cataract surgery and for re-attaching retinas) have improved quite dramatically in the 56 years between his surgery and mine. :LOL: Guess I should not have waited so long.

Anyway, the COLORS were mind boggling! I hadn't seen such colors for many years. I love being able to drive and walk without glasses. Medicare and my BCBS paid every last cent except for the eyedrops. It was like getting free Lasik surgery with free color enhancement too. :LOL:

DW had a follow-up check after yesterday's cataract surgery. They detected high pressure in the eyeball from swelling, and gave her some drops to reduce it.

I had the same experience five years ago, so I have to smile at what she's going through.

I had cataract surgery about six months after our kitchen was totally redone. My first reaction was omg these cabinets are not the nice cream color I thought I had picked—our kitchen is really really white! Fortunately I like the real color too but probably better to have let DH pick the shade of white at the time. 😄

I had cataract surgery about six months after our kitchen was totally redone. My first reaction was omg these cabinets are not the nice cream color I thought I had picked—our kitchen is really really white! Fortunately I like the real color too but probably better to have let DH pick the shade of white at the time. 😄
You're telling my mom's story.😁

I found a house! A whole house up on a hill. We'd lived in the location for 8 years or more! There was an entire MF! house 500 yards away, it always had been there, I couldn't see it! People lived there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom