Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Had to take our cocker spaniel bitch to the ER vet today. After extensive radiography, her troubles were diagnosed as a tummy ache. A $900 tummy ache I might add.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

-14 this morning. I took the early morning bus to the dentist; had to walk about 6 blocks and was pretty frozen. Came home and sat near the sunny south facing window with a cat on my lap, working on that great time sucker, ancestry.com. My tree is up to about 900 people now, despite several ancestors with frustrating dead ends. Way too frigid to go out again today. I'm contemplating finally taking the Christmas tree down, but I like the lights so much
Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #103
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
-14 this morning. .... Way too frigid to go out again today. I'm contemplating finally taking the Christmas tree down, but I like the lights so much
Me too. I just plugged in our garland on our balcony and plugged in our tree lights. Ours are still up here; I enjoy them and when it is -20 or so outside it gives home a special touch even though we are long past Christmas. I love seeing them sparkle inside and outside.

Clearly it doesn't take much to amuse me and my family.

We will get them packed away once this cold snap eases...but for now they make me smile.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #104

What started as a simple task for DH this morning turned into a project. The bathroom sink was draining slowly, so he cleaned out the trap. While replacing the trap he noticed that it now has a small hole in it so it needs to be replaced.

It’s hard to work behind the pedestal sink, and we’ve never really liked the pedestal sink, so let’s replace it with a vanity cabinet. As long as we are doing plumbing we should go ahead and replace the shut-off valves that are getting difficult to turn.

Off to Lowe’s we went (not a quick trip here in the mountains) and came home with a vanity and a bunch of plumbing parts. We got the old sink removed before it was time to go watch the Eagles playoff game with a group of friends.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
What started as a simple task for DH this morning turned into a project. The bathroom sink was draining slowly, so he cleaned out the trap. While replacing the trap he noticed that it now has a small hole in it so it needs to be replaced.

It’s hard to work behind the pedestal sink, and we’ve never really liked the pedestal sink, so let’s replace it with a vanity cabinet. As long as we are doing plumbing we should go ahead and replace the shut-off valves that are getting difficult to turn.

Off to Lowe’s we went (not a quick trip here in the mountains) and came home with a vanity and a bunch of plumbing parts. We got the old sink removed before it was time to go watch the Eagles playoff game with a group of friends.
A one trip to Lowe's job? Plumbing? Wow!! (and the Eagles won, too!)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #106

I don't want to w*rk, so I banged on my (electronic) drum all day!

Drank coffee with DW for a few hours earlier, to boost my motivation. Great day so far, and it's almost time for dinner!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #107

Took DW in for her first cataract surgery (second is a month from now).

A 6:15 am appointment makes for a very long day! And with an inch of fresh snow on the ground and still coming down, it was a longer trip than usual. Everyone on the road was behaving well though.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #108

I'm doing computer stuff today with maybe a little cleaning later. The kids are all gone and I spent the weekend skiing at Keystone. The skiing was nice, but two days and I am pretty wiped out physically. My son's dogs never did show up so he went back to Virginia without them. I am hoping he does OK in school this semester.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #109

Got back from big lunch brunch with DW.

Now printing out Power of Attorney forms from Nolo Willmaker. I hate this stuff, but I'll get back to banging on my electronic drum all day after I finish!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2018 version

Workout, walk, napped at the pool. Now at the Apple store Genius Bar. DW claimed that her new phone wouldn’t Work- no face recognition. But she never took the plastic cover off screen since she got it. Plastic screen cover off - now it works.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
Had to take our cocker spaniel bitch to the ER vet today. After extensive radiography, her troubles were diagnosed as a tummy ache. A $900 tummy ache I might add.
I feel your pain. Vets seems to be catching the human medicine disease where every issue is a bank buster. Our pup was off her feed, multiple tests determined a bladder infection. A couple of antibiotics later, she was good as new. That was "only" $650.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #112

Back from warm Florida. Well much warmer than here. Today was a relaxing catch up day at home. Did a little work, ran some errands, and I saw my parents and my niece. I shoveled my folks' deck and around their cars. I am going to get them signed up for snow shoveling service.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Played nine holes this afternoon. Next couple of days will be in the low 30's and teens at night, so no golf. But that's ok as I have prep work to do tomorrow for a colonoscopy on Wednesday morning. Tomorrow I will give a recap of the days events.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Workout, walk, napped at the pool. Now at the Apple store Genius Bar. DW claimed that her new phone wouldn’t Work- no face recognition. But she never took the plastic cover off screen since she got it. Plastic screen cover off - now it works.
New goggles for skiing last weekend. Things cleared up a lot when I took the plastic film off the lens.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Snowing here right now. Amazing....2nd snow of the year for my area. I can remember going years with no sign of snow. Had a colonoscopy scheduled tomorrow morning but rescheduled for March. With wind chills near zero in the morning and possibly slippery roads, I didn't want to run the risk of going through prep and not getting to the clinic. My designated driver appreciated the postponement. I actually hate not getting it over with tho. And to top it off.....my garage door spring broke. I guess the cold weather put extra stress on the spring(wheels not sliding through the rails easily) and it snapped. Born loser. I called the local garage door company and they said that had already received several similar calls. Oh well......
Old 01-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Steel isn't so fragile that a little cold will break a spring. They work fine up here all winter for decades even when it's -35. There must be something else wrong with the door.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #117

Gym day, light grocery run on the way home. Tomorrow we're supposed to get a little bit of snow so we're planning on staying home. DW, who in her 20's drove about 50 miles each way to her job in all and any weather, now gets freaked out at the thought of having to drive anywhere in even an inch or so of snow. She says it's because she is now "older and wiser". I had another thought, but just said "Yes, dear".

Y'see, I'm wiser now too.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Steel isn't so fragile that a little cold will break a spring. They work fine up here all winter for decades even when it's -35. There must be something else wrong with the door.
Garage door springs are good for only so many cycles. I think if it was approaching its normal limit, extreme cold might hasten its end a bit.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #119

DW had a follow-up check after yesterday's cataract surgery. They detected high pressure in the eyeball from swelling, and gave her some drops to reduce it.

On the way home, she suddenly perked up and said "Oh, this is amazing." Her vision cleared up with the normal pressure, and she spent the rest of the afternoon covering first one eye, then the other. The difference was striking, as the operated eye, now cataract-free, sees more clearly and colors are much more vivid.

I had the same experience five years ago, so I have to smile at what she's going through.

Those who are on the fence about whether to have this done should think hard about it. Truly life changing IMHO.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Garage door springs are good for only so many cycles.
That's what I learned when one of ours broke. The number of ~10,000 cycles comes to mind but I may be mistaken on that.

I don't "do" ladders or high tension anything anymore since I'm worth far more to DW alive and uninjured than any amount of money I'd save on a DIY project so I also just call the garage door folks.