Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those who are on the fence about whether to have this done should think hard about it. Truly life changing IMHO.
DW had laser surgery about 9 years ago; she had worn glasses all her life, and in fact had to put on glasses in order to see the clock when she woke up....now she can just about say "Oh, that one poor ant over there across the yard is limping".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

On the way home, she suddenly perked up and said "Oh, this is amazing." Her vision cleared up with the normal pressure, and she spent the rest of the afternoon covering first one eye, then the other. The difference was striking, as the operated eye, now cataract-free, sees more clearly and colors are much more vivid.
This was DW's experience with her cataract surgery also. An added benefit was that she stopped running into things with the car.

As far as me, at 74, there is no detectable cataract issues with my eyes. I must be lucky in that regard.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Those who are on the fence about whether to have this done should think hard about it. Truly life changing IMHO.
That's what I thought, too!

In my case I waited until there was no choice about it, because my grandfather was 100% blind (white cane and all) after cataract surgery back in 1949, due to retinal detachments during his surgeries. Two of his sons also had retinal detachments. Because of this unfortunate family history, cataract surgery has terrified me to an irrational extent ever since I was a tiny tot. Luckily, surgical techniques (both for cataract surgery and for re-attaching retinas) have improved quite dramatically in the 56 years between his surgery and mine. Guess I should not have waited so long.

Anyway, the COLORS were mind boggling! I hadn't seen such colors for many years. I love being able to drive and walk without glasses. Medicare and my BCBS paid every last cent except for the eyedrops. It was like getting free Lasik surgery with free color enhancement too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DW had a follow-up check after yesterday's cataract surgery. They detected high pressure in the eyeball from swelling, and gave her some drops to reduce it.

On the way home, she suddenly perked up and said "Oh, this is amazing." Her vision cleared up with the normal pressure, and she spent the rest of the afternoon covering first one eye, then the other. The difference was striking, as the operated eye, now cataract-free, sees more clearly and colors are much more vivid.

I had the same experience five years ago, so I have to smile at what she's going through.

I had cataract surgery about six months after our kitchen was totally redone. My first reaction was omg these cabinets are not the nice cream color I thought I had picked—our kitchen is really really white! Fortunately I like the real color too but probably better to have let DH pick the shade of white at the time. 😄
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I had cataract surgery about six months after our kitchen was totally redone. My first reaction was omg these cabinets are not the nice cream color I thought I had picked—our kitchen is really really white! Fortunately I like the real color too but probably better to have let DH pick the shade of white at the time. 😄
You're telling my mom's story.😁

I found a house! A whole house up on a hill. We'd lived in the location for 8 years or more! There was an entire MF! house 500 yards away, it always had been there, I couldn't see it! People lived there!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
New goggles for skiing last weekend. Things cleared up a lot when I took the plastic film off the lens.
We had had our stainless steel dishwasher for over a year when I noticed what i thought was a scratch in the face of it.... I sat down on the floor to try to see if it was a gouge or just a blemish that I could rub away.... it looked more like a gouge so I kept working at it.... turns out that we never took the plastic film off the face of the dishwasher!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #127

Other than roasting a 9 lb. chicken in the oven we're not doing a doggone thing today.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
we never took the plastic film off the face of the dishwasher!
I don't know when the previous owner of our condo had it installed, but DW just noticed and removed it from ours last week, and we've lived here over two years.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know when the previous owner of our condo had it installed, but DW just noticed and removed it from ours last week, and we've lived here over two years.
I've seen Amazon reviews where people complain about not being able to see through a face shield or similar and others explaining that it has a plastic protective sheet. Duh....
Old 01-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I drove into town for lunch. When I returned home and pulled into the driveway, this was my welcoming committee...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welcoming committee.jpg (85.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewahoo View Post
i drove into town for lunch. When i returned home and pulled into the driveway, this was my welcoming committee...
buzzards.jpg
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I drove into town for lunch. When I returned home and pulled into the driveway, this was my welcoming committee...
Something dead in your back yard?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like an Alfred Hitchcock movie
Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Something dead in your back yard?
Not that I'm aware, but at these temps they might have a frozen dinner back there somewhere, waiting to be heated up.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #135
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got worked over from head to toe today!

Root canal last week and the tooth prepped for a crown today.

Then to the urgent care clinic to have a toe nail down-sized and the ingrown nail portion removed. Both people doing the procedure gasped when they saw how far down in my toe that thing was. I guess I shouldn't have waited so long. If things work out right, the nail bed was also removed and the nail will not grow down so far in the future. (This is another story of getting old not being for sissies.)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I installed a new range and dishwasher today. A nightmare, but all's well that end's well.

Home Depot had said they'd install the range, but no go. So, at that point, I could make an appointment to have someone come, perhaps a delay of weeks, or do it myself.

Poorly written instructions were annoying, and the conversion of the range from natural gas to propane was tedious and tricky.

Two 50 mile (RT) trips to the hardware store, because the appliances don't include the adapters that are necessary.

The gas company is going to check my work tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We had had our stainless steel dishwasher for over a year when I noticed what i thought was a scratch in the face of it.... I sat down on the floor to try to see if it was a gouge or just a blemish that I could rub away.... it looked more like a gouge so I kept working at it.... turns out that we never took the plastic film off the face of the dishwasher!
Exactly the same thing happened to me today with our new dishwasher! I was just ready to call the store, when I realized the dotted line across the front was part of the plastic film.

So, I pulled off the film and got an early start on putting fingerprints on it.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #138
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We finished watching the 2016 Summer Olympics. Wow, Usain Bolt sure can run fast.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
We finished watching the 2016 Summer Olympics. Wow, Usain Bolt sure can run fast.
I'm impressed you managed to avoid spoilers all those months.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I received a package sent to our address but not to us. This happened about a month ago for the same person.

I found her and brought that package to her. I mentioned she needed to ensure her sender had the correct address. Called yesterday and left another message, she never called back.

Today I took it to the UPS store, they can't help other than giving me UPS customer service. After 15 minutes with the VRU an agent tells me they'll pick up the lady's package. I'm trying to figure out how to stop her sending me her stuff and never get a good answer.

I finally told the UPS guy, her next packages are going in the trash! I'm done fixing someone else's screwup! I guess if her packages don't get delivered she'll figure out the problem.
Closed Thread