Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Started the day with a real sting. Reached into a junk drawer in the garage and a scorpion popped me on the tip of my finger. Dang those things hurt!

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #1442
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Started the day with a real sting. Reached into a junk drawer in the garage and a scorpion popped me on the tip of my finger. Dang those things hurt!
OMG! Does this require a ER hospital visit?

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #1443
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
OMG! Does this require a ER hospital visit?
Wow, this forum has a hospital? Andy is really expanding his empire...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #1444
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, this forum has a hospital? Andy is really expanding his empire...
I was worried about the scorpion.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #1445
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are TOO MUCH - I like starting the day with a good laugh!!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #1446
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I was worried about the scorpion.

Itís expected to recover...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #1447
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yikes! I hope you are OK. The Mayo Clinic site says, "Scorpion stings are painful but rarely life-threatening", so hopefully all is well except it sure must hurt.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353859

What an early morning surprise you had, though!
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #1448
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gotta love central and west Texas scorpions! I've never seen one near us north of Houston, but I'll bet they don't like concrete everywhere!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #1449
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Gotta love central and west Texas scorpions! I've never seen one near us north of Houston, but I'll bet they don't like concrete everywhere!
Probably not! We had them in College Station once in a while.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #1450
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Probably not! We had them in College Station once in a while.
Within the last 10 years, the fleets of Cement trucks arrived in College Station too! On the outskirts, it may be still pretty wide open though.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #1451
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood.
Did laundry.
Cooking roast beef for dinner.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #1452
Moderator Emeritus

Installed my new garage door butler. Automatically closes an open garage door (with timer) or at darkness by sensor. Old technology, but it works fine for those that forget to close the garage door at times.

IMG_20180720_145210.jpg
Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #1453

Took dog for our morning walk and then headed for the farmers' market right after breakfast. Got steak, smoked sausage, shrimp, eggs, squash, several kinds of peppers, melon, carrots, and heirloom tomatoes - we'll be eating well this week!

Needed to find a piece of insurance paperwork that wasn't in the file folder, so I surmised it was in the pile on my desk . Managed to clear out about an 8" pile and sure enough, it was there. Filed, shredded, or recycled most of the rest of the pile. And I pulled a bunch of shreddable stuff out of the file cabinet while I was at it as a bonus. Desk sure looks much better, but I also had to dump the shredder (hate that messy job).

Ordered a kit to knit a tote bag for my sister for Christmas and picture frames for two prints I bought in Prague last year that were in "the pile".

Decided to check in over here and found this interesting thread: Anyone with typing skills looking to volunteer. Checked out the site and decided to do a few transcriptions while I was there. Very interesting!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #1454
Administrator

Worked many hours in our garden plot. Harvested 25 lbs of beets, 10 lbs of onions and 10 lbs of shallots. After giving some to the neighbors and saving some for eating fresh, I canned 21 pints of beets -- 7 pickled and 14 straight up. The onions and shallots currently are spread out to dry on newspaper. Also harvested and shucked all of the remaining peas, which I will use for seed next year. They are also drying.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #1455
gone traveling

https://youtu.be/hOF3JEyX3yg

Spent the afternoon betting on Thai boxing with my FIL, around 20 or 30 guys from the village huddled around a little 16” tv and throwing money around
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
What did you do today? 2018 version
Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #1456

What did you do today? 2018 version

Visiting London, we stopped in to Harrodís. I offered to buy DW a nice new burka. Thatís the last thing I remember.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Worked many hours in our garden plot. Harvested 25 lbs of beets, 10 lbs of onions and 10 lbs of shallots. After giving some to the neighbors and saving some for eating fresh, I canned 21 pints of beets -- 7 pickled and 14 straight up. The onions and shallots currently are spread out to dry on newspaper. Also harvested and shucked all of the remaining peas, which I will use for seed next year. They are also drying.
That's some garden, Gumby! Very smart to have all of those crops that keep for weeks/months.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #1458
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I must be a more generous person than you. I'd have given all 25 lbs. away.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #1459
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
That's some garden, Gumby! Very smart to have all of those crops that keep for weeks/months.
Thanks. It's 1200 sqft and full of more than we can eat. Last weekend, we got 20 lbs of green beans. We probably will pick our first sweet corn tomorrow. I regularly take stuff into the office to give it away.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #1460
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent the weekend with Mrs PD, DD and Son-IL and beautiful baby GS in a village called Malahide near Dublin, Ireland. We’re from Glasgow, Scotland.

Had a fantastic time. Grandson is 5 months old and learning new things every week it seems. I am so blessed!

poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote