What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we took the dog to a park and went to a miniature horse show for a big dose of cuteness. Last night it was a tribute band concert and before that we saw a musical, Once Upon a Mattress. I though it was a cute play, and was new to me, but I learned it opened on Broadway in 1959 and was the breakout role for Carol Burnett.

Wow, I am so glad to read that there were no fatalities in Hong Kong, and that you are OK! I had been reading about that typhoon and apparently it caused dozens of deaths in the Phillipines.

The Philippines gets hit really hard by the typhoons - A combination of location, geography and poor infrastructure.

Was loosing signals on my dish tv. I think the guy that mowed my lawn whacked the dish mount. Spent about 40 minutes waiting on the phone with Dish Network, to see if satellite aiming was a free service. Would have been $145 for a service call. Ended up on a ladder in the dark with tools, a fashlight, and a FRS radio to communicate with DW watching the signal on the tv inside the house. It was too hot during the day. We got it good enough to work

Advice: At age sixty-five, do not do the following three things within a short period of time:

1. Go surfing
  2. Get a flu shot
  3. Eat eighteen oysters

We’ve been spending our afternoon, trying to get reimbursement for the $600 from Fepblue for our Medicare part B premium. Let’s say I’m glad we don’t do this when we’re older. All for $600.

Hung a new ceiling fan and rehung an existing unit that was removed before the popcorn removal.

Advice: At age sixty-five, do not do the following three things within a short period of time:

1. Go surfing
  2. Get a flu shot
  3. Eat eighteen oysters

I am not yet 65, and have not done nor think I will ever do 1) and 3) above.

But if it does not kill you it will make you stronger, right?

I’ve yet to get a flu shot. So between NW-Bound and me, we do not complete all 3. Haha

We went to the Oakland Zoo today and had a fun time. We always thought it was a nice little zoo with natural enclosures and enrichment activities for the animals, but now it has doubled in size so we wanted to check out the new addition. The new area has native California animals including bison, a jaguar and bears. The coolest exhibit had four grizzly bears that were unreleasable and slated for euthanasia but instead got a large, new home at the zoo complete with a big pool and enrichment toys. They were having a blast playing in the pool together and we got watch them play from only a foot or so away (through the glass).

I’m home supervising the tech center being built upstairs. I’m glad I didn’t do this when I first purchased this house by the builder. It turns out, I like this look much better, I’m able to design its best with consideration of good fengshui, no back against stairs. Possible considering putting some of these cabinets in my garage. Perhaps converting my garage to decent living space if need be in the future.

We swam in our new pool for one of the last times this year. Super nice warm day here in Iowa, 90 plus with a good breeze. I woke up this morning and it is going to be in the 60's today. They are coming to close our pool next Wednesday.

Full house again, both kids came back last night. We went out to dim sum for some bonding time. Honestly, it was not my husband’s favorite food. But we’re enjoying listening to one kid’s adventure in Japan. Now they are both going to bake something with pumpkin for my husband.

I got a call from our park manager asking if I had left a railroad belt buckle on the "free" table. I hadn't so I went and looked at it.

I volunteer on a tourist railroad and am restoring a 23 switch engine, so I took it.
I found a belt maker close by, and took the buckle in to have a belt made. I now have a neat belt with the train buckle for "only" $45.

Attachments

• train.JPG
    train.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 61
I got a call from our park manager asking if I had left a railroad belt buckle on the "free" table. I hadn't so I went and looked at it.

I volunteer on a tourist railroad and am restoring a 23 switch engine, so I took it.
I found a belt maker close by, and took the buckle in to have a belt made. I now have a neat belt with the train buckle for "only" $45.
I think you got a pretty good deal!

One of my bands played Friday and Saturday night at a local bar/restaurant. On Friday a few people I used to play ball with 20 or so years ago showed up (not knowing I was playing) and I had a chance to catch up with them.

We were at the cottage last weekend with beautiful weather and a calm lake so decided to take the kayaks out. Turned the first one over and there was a monarch chrysalis attached to the seat pad. Detached it and hung it on a twig in a box that made the journey home the next day. Watching it through the week and reading up on it was fun. Yesterday it emerged. It took 4 hours to dry its wings and then crawled around the butterfly bush I had put it on before flying off. Fascinating to think of how complex their life cycle is. Most only live 4-6 weeks but this is the generation that does 6-8 months and flies to Mexico. Bon voyage!!

monarch.jpg

Made and canned six half pints of jalapeno jelly. We're running out of things to do with all the jalapenos from our garden. So far, we have eaten them fresh, pickled and canned them, made hot sauce and now jelly. We've also given a bunch away, but still we're inundated. And all from only two plants. I guess they just really like it where they are.

Been trying to restore an old quad-core desktop to run Win 7, in order to run older engineering software. I have had it with Win 10.

Decided that, before re-activating Win 7, I should buy an SSD for a fresh install. An SSD with 240GB is now $40. Amazing. No wonder my Micron Technology shares have not been doing so well; they have been giving their flash memory away.

98? WinMe? 95? Win XP? Win 2000? Win NT 5.0? Win NT 4.0? Win 3.1.1? DOS 5.0? DOS 2.1? I've got them all.

But Win 7 seems to work fine with many software I have. Still have an older dual-core tower dual-booting Win XP and Win 2000. Nothing earlier than that right now.

Man, that Win XP machine is lean and the C compiler for the microcontroller runs fast.

The to-be-resurrected Win 7 machine will have a virtual Win XP installed, just in case.

PS. No Win Vista though. Only one laptop ran that, and it died.

PPS. Got Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Win 7 Ultimate too. No cheap Win 7 Home thinggy.

Last edited:
I made air baked falafel. Best ever! So easy, too. Will never buy frozen again and no need to travel to Toronto for tasty falafel.

I had purchased a tent at a end of season price last year, from Sams Club Today I set it up, for the first time, in the yard. It was supposed to take one minute for 2 people. I think it took me an hour by myself. So now it's up. I can look at it. I have to figure out how to insulate the walls, drywall it, and install HVAC so DW will let us go camping. I've been keeping it in my minivan while intertaining a secret idea that some desperate situation might allow us to use it. Maybe I'll try to sleep in it one night to see what it's like. She might be right about the whole camping thing.

Also we made some apple dumplings today

Went to a "Goodbye Boobies" party last night for DW friend. She had breast cancer 22 years ago and it has returned at age 61. So she is having a double mastectomy today. The party was mostly family and included two other sisters (out of five) that have also had it. There were boob shaped cupcakes, a boob shaped cake and she burnt her bra on the lawn at one point. She is a helluva lot braver than I would be in her shoes.

Funny thing is that it is apparently now just a day surgery. She will be home tonight.
What a world.

Went to a "Goodbye Boobies" party last night for DW friend. She had breast cancer 22 years ago and it has returned at age 61. So she is having a double mastectomy today. The party was mostly family and included two other sisters (out of five) that have also had it. There were boob shaped cupcakes, a boob shaped cake and she burnt her bra on the lawn at one point. She is a helluva lot braver than I would be in her shoes.

Funny thing is that it is apparently now just a day surgery. She will be home tonight.
What a world.
A friend's daughter had that done this summer at 22. It ran in her family including young deaths and she had the gene for it. You are right about the bravery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom