Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #1641
Recycles dryer sheets

I took my little grandson to the park to play on the playground. I dare you to try to wipe the smile off my face. And the hug I got afterwards is priceless. I love retirement!!!!!

Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #1642

Cooked a thick cut NY strip steak on the grill for lunch. Yum.

The grocery store had chicken breasts on sale BOGO so I got two packages, put them in Ziplock freezer bags, and added a mixing of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing (it's a powder you mix with vinegar, water, and oil) in with them. Those went in the downstairs freezer for later. Later, during the three or four days it takes them to thaw they get marinated pretty good.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #1643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I helped a neighbor clear out some of his stuff last week and one of the things he had and was going to Toss was am EdgeStar TWR325ESS Dual Chamber Wine Cooler. One chamber was bad and he simply replaced the whole unit and I said I would take the old one and tinker with it. for those interested it is a Electronic Thermal Controlled unit. It does not use a regular compressor but has 4 x Peltier thermal semiconductor 12.5v converters, 2 for each side.

After pulling it apart, I diagnosed 2 problems. The first is that both Peltier devices on the offending side were bad. The First was completely open Circuit, the other while it worked when I applied 12v @ 5amps to it, it did not get cold enough on the business side.

The other issue is that the driver circuit board was ad also. It is simply a Power board with a switching power supply and some other stuff. As there was a complete working board on the good side, I could probe around with my meter and generally diagnose the issue, or an issue as these things can cascade, but you do not know till you fix one thing. Basically one of the main switching Transistors was bad.

So I ordered couple of Peltier devices ($4 each) and two 13007-2 HV Switching transistors ($0.90c each. Best to change both). So not all I have to do is wait till they come in and see if it works, or at least what else is wrong with the board.

Here is the Service Manual if anyone dabbles in this stuff, I was lucky as it has the PCB Driver Board Schematic in it, but no component values .

https://support.edgestar.com/hc/arti...2002022018.pdf
Old 08-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #1644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once you get the Peltier devices that fit into the original mounting spot, the rest is easy. If you know the power requirement of the Peltier TEC, you can get generic switching DC supplies to drive them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
25kw, now thats a generator.
When I worked on Diesel engines we would add Cascade dishwasher detergent into the coolant system run engine for an hour or two, flush with fresh water, repeat 2 or 3 times as needed. Gelled coolant or oil contamination, never failed to work.
Of course water and detergent is safe to experiment with.

By the way, a generator that big guzzles fuel. I think buying one is the easy part. Getting and storing the fuel for it is a trouble. Out of curiosity, I looked and one of that size burns about 2 gal/hr at 1/2 load. To keep one going for a week takes a serious-sized propane tank. Better keep your ground-mounted 500-gal tank topped off at all time.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Once you get the Peltier devices that fit into the original mounting spot, the rest is easy. If you know the power requirement of the Peltier TEC, you can get generic switching DC supplies to drive them.
Yes but the digital Temperature control and cooling system is a challenge.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
25kw, now thats a generator.
When I worked on Diesel engines we would add Cascade dishwasher detergent into the coolant system run engine for an hour or two, flush with fresh water, repeat 2 or 3 times as needed. Gelled coolant or oil contamination, never failed to work.
I called a radiator place and they also recommended cascade. However, I've also been in touch with a dealer and Generac through the dealer. They both think with a high degree of certainty that this is a head gasket or worse, some type of head or cylinder problem. Of course, that changes the game. I'll flush it out and put some antifreeze in it while I contemplate my options.

I have half a mind to just pull the head, but it's been so long since I've worked on cars, I'm just not sure I'm up to it. Also, since it's an overhead cam, it will be a lot of work to get it put back together and get it all timed correctly.

On a slightly bright note, yes, 25kw is a very large generator. Doing some research, I don't think I need anywhere near that. I'm estimating about 16kw which would change the price from north of $8K to around $5K.

I'm likely just to get it replaced with the smaller unit and get on with my life, but it hurts given that the generator is really not that old. 500+ hours on it, installed in 2003. I'll button it up and think about it over winter.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #1647
Give me a forum ...

We went to see "Crazy Rich Asians " . It is a chick flick . I enjoyed it but go alone . Do not drag a guy to this movie . It is a middle of the afternoon with popcorn female indulgence .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #1648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
............ They both think with a high degree of certainty that this is a head gasket or worse, some type of head or cylinder problem...........
A simple compression test should tell you one way or the other.

What do you need to power that lead you to such a large generator? Generally unless you run a large air conditioner or a business, 7500 watts or less will do the job.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #1649
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Generally unless you run a large air conditioner or a business, 7500 watts or less will do the job.
Hmmm, my motor home has more than that (8kW). I just did a quick check using Generac's online estimator, and they suggest 16kW for my house.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1650
Recycles dryer sheets

Put a second coat of drywall compound on a piece of damaged wall I'm fixing, ran a couple of loads of laundry, then a short bike ride with my daughter.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #1651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Hmmm, my motor home has more than that (8kW). I just did a quick check using Generac's online estimator, and they suggest 16kW for my house.
You probably have two AC units on the motor home. Without the AC load, you could probably run it with a little 2000 watt inverter generator.

Similarly, in a house AC and electric water heaters are the power gluttons.Beyond that it doen't take much to supply emergency power.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #1652

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A simple compression test should tell you one way or the other.

What do you need to power that lead you to such a large generator? Generally unless you run a large air conditioner or a business, 7500 watts or less will do the job.
Not sure if the compression check will be conclusive. Wouldn’t an oil path and a coolant path come together somewhere where the cylinder would not be impacted? Got hold of a guy today that is going to take a look. He doesn’t think it’s the head gasket. Had a couple ideas of tests to see if he could validate the problem. Biggest confusion on my part is that the oil is clean. Seems like if the oil was getting into the coolant, coolant would be in the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Yes, 25kw is way big for this house. The generator came with the house. I’m not sure the logic of the previous owner to buy such a large generator. One thing I can say is that being basically a car engine, I runs really quiet. I did an estimate on line, and I came up with 16kw also. I think I could even get by with an 11kw unit. The only reason to go with 16kw would be if the AC started at the same time something else like the freezer did. Cushion for the starting watts needed.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #1653

Yesterday I was cleaning the garage and decided to get rid of some extra gym equipment so I put 4 - 45 pound weight plates up for sale on the internet. An hour later I sold all 4 and a guy came by with his wife/GF to pick them up. He paid me and picked up 2 of them to carry to his car, then his wife/GF went to pick one of them up...or so I thought. She picked up both of them effortlessly...90 pounds of weights and she was 5 foot nothing and maybe 100 pounds.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #1654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
90 pounds of weights and she was 5 foot nothing and maybe 100 pounds.
Watch out for small women....lost one to cancer and am now married to another.....don't cross 'em.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #1655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
a guy came by with his wife/GF
Sounds like he was a tough guy too -- bringing both of them like that.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Watch out for small women....lost one to cancer and am now married to another.....don't cross 'em.
I read this somewhere: "No matter how strong you think you are, somewhere a little 14-year old girl is warming up with your max"
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #1657

Brought home a load of firewood from the camp in my new to me pickup truck.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #1658

read,wrote,rested...life is good.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #1659

DW's iPhone 6S was suffering from LBS (low battery syndrome), and couldn't even make it much over 12 hours before needing charging.

Took it in to the Apple store for a new battery, where they told me it would only take 45 minutes to do the job.

An hour later, I came back and they asked me to sit "over there at that table".
Another 15 minutes went by and the guy came out with it and said they replaced the battery but then experienced some problems with the Home button. They put it on their machine and it failed their diagnostics.

I was expecting the worst at that point, but what they did was give me a brand new phone for the cost of the battery ($29).

My suspicion is that the tech doing the battery replacement screwed up somehow so they had no choice, but that's pretty good customer service IMHO.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #1660

Even though I’m retired, Sundays still feel like they should be lazy days. Met aunt and cousin for lunch, took aunt shopping, came home, surfed the web, finished a jigsaw puzzle, and now I’m enjoying a delicious homebrew IPA. Life is good.