Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

What did you do today? 2018 version
Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2018 version

Happy New Year! We need a new thread for the new year, so here it is.

A link to the 2017 thread is below.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1818794

What did you do today?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Today, we went out to lunch and then came home to avoid traffic and to insulate our outdoor faucets since there is a hard freeze predicted. In New Orleans, can you believe it? It is SO COLD out there, windy, and getting colder every minute. There are firecracker sounds from every direction, as the New Year approaches soon. I can hardly wait for 2018.

Our European members are already living in 2018... so I started this thread a little early.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only 11PM as I write this so I am still in 2017, but what the heck.

Roasted and skinned about 3 lbs of Anaheim chile to make green chili chicken. Even with a big pot and 3 lbs of chicken, I did not need that much chile, so froze the rest for future use.

Went looking for a temperature sensor chip I knew I had in a junk box somewhere, in order to integrate it into the BMS I am building. When I finally found it a couple of hours later, got tired and didn't feel like firing up the computer to do some firmware, so saved it for tomorrow and went shooting the breeze on this forum instead.

I think I will go make myself a glass of gin and tonic now before going to bed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Visited with SIL and husband in Santa Clara, CA. Going home Tuesday.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was gym day, but the lookyloos were to much. We left and went out to eat.

We just got back from a walk and I saw a unique feature. My DW thinks I'm nutty and there's something wrong with my eyes. What color are clouds?

20180101_132246.jpg
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
What color are clouds?
To me the darker ones are gray with a touch of blue. The others are a lighter gray.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved about half of our Ally Savings savings into a no penalty CD. .50% higher rate.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
To me the darker ones are gray with a touch of blue. The others are a lighter gray.
Thanks.
I better get my eyes checked. I'm getting pink and greenish colors in some of them.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put the new car battery in the Rav4 after yesterdays excitement when it died at -18C while shopping.

Had a little more excitement today. Toyota puts a stupid, pointless plastic cover in the engine compartment over top of the rad and battery, etc..
It is held down by little plastic nipples that were frozen in place (it was a balmy -13C today). Of course they wouldn't come out and some of them were brittle due to the cold and broke, etc.. Whatta system

While I was wrestling with them, the socket wrench fell down from where it was resting on top of the engine cover onto the battery, perfectly hitting the positive terminal and the chassis at the exact same time. What are the odds of that happening ?!

It created an impressive display of sparks !!

Next time I will disconnect the negative lead before I start wrestling with all the stupid little fiddly bits that Toyota seems to think are somehow part of a good design ..
Old 01-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We had a fun time at a big New Year's Eve hotel party last night with a band, DJ and two dance floors. We came home a bit early as the dog usually freaks out over the blasts and booms at midnight but he actually slept though them this year, so we were happy about that. Today I have food poisoning but we made it through all the New Years weekend events we had planned and I'm on the mend so all in all a fun weekend even with getting sick.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
While I was wrestling with them, the socket wrench fell down from where it was resting on top of the engine cover onto the battery, perfectly hitting the positive terminal and the chassis at the exact same time. What are the odds of that happening ?!
I'd say the odds are very good given the events that lead up to the wrench falling. I can work on cars and such, but sometimes, I let (pay for) others do it. My wife doesn't understand why, but I know that there are times everything just goes wrong. It doesn't happen on a 70 degree sunny day. No, the fun is reserved for the crap days (cold, rain, hotter than hell . . .).

Today, I stayed inside except for a quick trip to the meat market. Been switching over my phone in anticipation of retiring. So I've been texting people with my new number. In doing that, just found out a lady I've known for years (about my age - under 60 for sure) just had a heart attack and by-pass surgery. Another one of those events that force one to think about what's important in life and how that is typically not work.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Ate my black eyed peas so 2018 s/b good. Went to the grocery store today and saw a 70'ish y/o guy wearing shorts. Temp was about 25 at the time. Watched a lot of football today and viewing the Sugar Bowl now. Time for a toddy.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #13

I gave in when I tried to cancel my Sirius/XM subscription last year and let them talk me into another year at a much cheaper rate. That expires tomorrow, so I called to cancel it again (you can't do it online).

Talking with the agent took fifteen minutes and saying "NO!" at least ten times, as she offered me version after version of a discounted rate, with the cost going down each time.

Even the last few offers, at very low rates, were more than I was willing to pay, since I've only used it for probably two or three hours total in the last year.

What an amazing hassle to get away from their clutches! And I suppose there are a few people who just let it renew at their exorbitant rack rate and subsidize everyone else.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I gave in when I tried to cancel my Sirius/XM subscription last year and let them talk me into another year at a much cheaper rate. That expires tomorrow, so I called to cancel it again (you can't do it online).

Talking with the agent took fifteen minutes and saying "NO!" at least ten times, as she offered me version after version of a discounted rate, with the cost going down each time.

Even the last few offers, at very low rates, were more than I was willing to pay, since I've only used it for probably two or three hours total in the last year.

What an amazing hassle to get away from their clutches! And I suppose there are a few people who just let it renew at their exorbitant rack rate and subsidize everyone else.
Aha, I see we have had the same experience. The last time I renewed it (at a discount) I put the date on my calendar so I could contact them in time to cancel. But they charged my credit card before the date! I was so mad 😡. Well, now I have cancelled it and will ignore their cut price offers to get me back.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks.
I better get my eyes checked. I'm getting pink and greenish colors in some of them.
Before you do that make sure your display is calibrated. Photography is a hobby so I invested in the Colormunki Photo, which calibrates both the display and the printer, but unless you're really fussy about the printer color accuracy the Colormunki Smile will do. I bought one for my sister as a present, when it comes to computer stuff she is "challenged" and she had no difficulty using it.

Also this is probably cheaper than an eye doctor. If price is important shop around a bit, you may be able to find it a few bucks cheaper. I just linked to B&H Photo because they're a known good long-time reliable vendor.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
..........What an amazing hassle to get away from their clutches! And I suppose there are a few people who just let it renew at their exorbitant rack rate and subsidize everyone else.
I got a "free" 90 day subscription with my new car. I let it lapse and they hounded me via telephone and email for months to renew. I finally had to get nasty with them to get them to lay off. What a bunch of azzholes.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Before you do that make sure your display is calibrated. Photography is a hobby so I invested in the Colormunki Photo, which calibrates both the display and the printer, but unless you're really fussy about the printer color accuracy the Colormunki Smile will do. I bought one for my sister as a present, when it comes to computer stuff she is "challenged" and she had no difficulty using it.

Also this is probably cheaper than an eye doctor. If price is important shop around a bit, you may be able to find it a few bucks cheaper. I just linked to B&H Photo because they're a known good long-time reliable vendor.
Walt34's solution is the right way if color is really important to you.
But you can do a somewhat less accurate job for free:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-c...-your-monitor/
Old 01-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Yesterday was gym day, but the lookyloos were to much. We left and went out to eat.

We just got back from a walk and I saw a unique feature. My DW thinks I'm nutty and there's something wrong with my eyes. What color are clouds?

Attachment 27501
Cloud iridescence maybe.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #19

Today we took down the tree and boxed up most of the ornaments. Sad.

I actually washed out the tree stand right away instead of waiting until June this year.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #20

After ODing on college football yesterday and losing a c-note on the Alabama/Clemson game I woke up this morning, had my three cups of coffee, morning constitutional, light breakfast, paid my neighbor the c-note, hit the gym, back home, showered, transferred some dinero from checking into the savings to start the new year off at a decent lower balance and then retired to the internet to catch up and post some odds and ends. Sorry you asked, aren't cha ?