Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went to pick up prescriptions and then to the springs. It was a balmy 32°F when we arrived. Nice day in 104° water watching other folks act like idiots. We chatted with a few folks from all over the world.

Came home and realized we had no plans for dinner but had a lot of grocery items in the house. Tonight we are having home made Pork Chille Verde.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Over the past few months I had accumulated four huge boxes - - two from Amazon Prime, 2 from ButcherBox. Our trash collection will only pick them up if they have been cut up, bagged, and put in the trash-cans-on-wheels that they provide. Curbside recycling won't pick them up either.

So today I decided to just toss them in the back of my Venza and take them to the main recycling center, which is free for Parish (=county) residents. But when we got there, we found that there is a new rule. It is now required that boxes must be totally dismantled before they will accept them.

We went to lunch, and then came home with the boxes still in the back. It took me 55 minutes with a box cutter but I got them cut up into pieces that would fit compactly in a trash bag, and bagged them all up. I managed to fit all of them in one bag but it was tight.

And that is what I did today. Act I, that is. Act II is laundry. Act III is to kick back with my video games, feet up, and a large glass of water.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #43

Bought our last treadmill nine years ago, quite a good one (over $3K in 2009). It gets so little use any more that I sometimes think of getting rid of it. But with all the single digit or negative (°F) temperatures lately, the old thing keeps proving its worth. DW and I both love to get outdoors if possible, but we've both been keeping the treadmill active these days. I'm sure it has many more useful years in it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #44
Administrator

Went to the doctor this morning. New for me. His photo on the web site shows a man with gray around the temples - someone with experience. In person, my son is older than him. No grey or age at all. He dyed his hair to look older for the photo! I called him out for it, and he denied it, saying it was “the lighting when they took the photo”.

He then proceeded to tell me that I needed to keep busy in retirement - and even consider going back to work, do something “less stressful”.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #45

So it sounds like he failed his interview.

Back to the search for a new doctor!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is this him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p369784_b_v8_ac.jpg (210.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Image1515185441.518055.jpg
Went ashore in La Marin, Martinique and had a nice French lunch and then a quick stop at the bakery for some bread then back home to the house.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here goes: the wills thread got me looking at my trust. I thought it was only one page, but it actually is 8. I had intended to copy over what Wells Fargo wanted when we settled my mom's house. But I had a glaring error in there so I had to retype it, take it down to UPS to be notarized, and then let my son know that it was different. I also reminded him where the key to the safe is just in case.

I have the tax forms from 2013 to 2016 in the safe still. I guess I could shred 2013 now? But I had to contest my W2 that year as my employer only reported two months of income. I have wage stubs verifying all income so that was an easy one for the IRS to resolve. But I don't want to shred that file just in case it comes back and bites me later on.

Even without shredding that 1" thick return I still have a bucket of papers to go. I swear those things multiply in the safe all by themselves
Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I better get my eyes checked.
You better just sink into your own experience! Qualia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Ate my black eyed peas so 2018 s/b good.
Whatabout collards...the "foldin' mony"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
hounded me via telephone and email for months to renew.
DD, new car owner and the nicest person to people on the phone finally gave them a few choice words. She said they just don't give up!

Quote:
That was my thought although I'd never heard or seen it when I took the photo. In person it was much more dramatic! The green and pink really popped. That's the only reason I took a picture of clouds(we see them, somedays).
Returning to this subject, check the picture. You see different colors, I see Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd like to see how you are doing this. Maybe a separate thread?
+1. And no excuses for it's not yet baked. We want to see your thought process as you get more facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
... I was so upset the first day that I ground my teeth and broke out an old filling so now I have to get a root canal and crown.
That's a bit of really crummy bit of 2018 news. I hope your lost pet thing gets resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCat View Post
Attachment 27531
Went ashore in La Marin, Martinique and had a nice French lunch and then a quick stop at the bakery for some bread then back home to the house.
By "house", you mean "boat"?

And so not to break from the purpose of the thread, I soldered-in a grounded power cord for my 1970's tube amp (had just a 2 conductor cord). The thing had a pretty loud 60 cycle buzz. Just testing, I grounded it with a chunk of wire and the buzz was gone! So I soldered in a nice grounded 18 AWG cord... no buzz!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minnesota.jpg (25.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #50

Spent most of the day in an AARP tax class in preparation for this years taxes. We will prepare taxes for seniors and low income taxpayers.
Then went to Bevmo to pick up a bottle of Highland Park Magnus single malt scotch.
The finished off the day with a trip to the supermarket to take advantage of a sale on boneless skinless chicken breasts. DW calls them "Dolly Breasts" after Dolly Parton because they are very large.
The lady in the meat department started calling them that too, but got into trouble for doing that.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Gym day. We had a little snow last night and it was nice. Cloudy morning all around us.

After the gym we went to the other side of town and had a great lunch at a hole in the wall. Unique tacos and specials. By the time we were done the weather had changed.

On the way home we saw this.
We're in between two storms.
20180107_150013.jpg
Old 01-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a productive and enjoyable day. 1)cleaned upstairs bathroom, 2)put away Christmas decorations, 3)wrote an email to my bookclub buddies, concerning upcoming dinner plans, 4)wrote an email to son #2 about several tentative plans, 5)met friends for a 3 mile walk, 6)coffee and breakfast with friends, 7)caught up on reading, 8)cleared junk off dining room table, 9)watching TV and surfing
What did you do today? 2018 version
Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2018 version

Worked out and then for a hike. I’ve hiked this route several times over the last 15 years, but it must be becoming steeper. And maybe longer.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Worked out and then for a hike. I’ve hiked this route several times over the last 15 years, but it must be becoming steeper. And maybe longer.
So far, we've spent the day on an aerial tour of the eastern US. Trying to get from CT to St Louis. We are on our 3rd flight of the day and just landed in Fort Wayne. Who knows when we might actually get there.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks.
I better get my eyes checked. I'm getting pink and greenish colors in some of them.
Only get one eye checked because I also see some pink.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #56

We had an extended holiday season as the kids didn't come in until well after Christmas; DD left Saturday and DS yesterday afternoon. So I undecorated the trees while watching TV last night and got most everything in the garage this morning. (I just noticed that the Christmas arrangement in our antique punchbowl is still there, and I have some wrapping materials still to go out.) Got the guest rooms mostly back into normal order. Off to yoga class shortly, then grocery shopping and some laundry before settling down with my knitting to watch the CFP tonight.

I didn't have anything planned for dinner last night so I pulled some boneless ribeye pork chops out of the freezer and my new pressure cooker cookbook (good job, DH!) and combined several recipes to make a delicious pork/apples/chiles dinner dish. I think I'll get a lot more use out of my pressure cooker this year!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Finally warming up enough for golf, but rain today. Tues and Wed there is a 20-40% chance of rain so might get some in. More rain after that and colder weather. I rode my indoor bike this morning while watching the below video. Nice views. Will watch the NC college football game tonight but not really interested in either team.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Slept late, a very deep sleep. Dreamed that I needed more expensive major dental work, and was elated to discover when I awakened that this was just a bad dream. I had enough of the dentist and implants last year.

Mondays are especially sweet in retirement, because I don't have to go to work. So, I am enjoying today for that reason as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #59

We're not doing a thing. The ground is frozen solid and the forecast is for wintry mix of snow, sleet and rain so we're staying inside so some idiot texting won't have the opportunity to crash into us. Rising temperatures the rest of the week into civilized territory will melt what we snow/ice we have so it'll be safe to go out then.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #60

Went to the gym this morning and made sure I got back before the freezing rain started. After lunch I painted the ceiling in one of the bedrooms that is getting a makeover. Showered, had a snack, and am settled in for some reading time.

We will probably watch the football game tonight, but we don’t have a vested interest in either team.
Closed Thread