Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We're not doing a thing. The ground is frozen solid and the forecast is for wintry mix of snow, sleet and rain so we're staying inside so some idiot texting won't have the opportunity to crash into us. Rising temperatures the rest of the week into civilized territory will melt what we snow/ice we have so it'll be safe to go out then.
Glad you decided to stay home and wait this one out! I have read that in some parts of the country, the roads are like one big ice skating rink.

Even though it's in the mid 60's here today, it is also rainy and still feels pretty chilly. Yesterday the weather was the same and I tried wearing shorts for about 10 minutes, until I had to come running back home for sweatpants because it was just too cold. So, I gave up on shorts for now. Guess that was wishful thinking.

Today we had a nice lunch together, though - - big hot pasta dish with spicy marinara etc for him, small green salad with vinaigrette for me, intriguing conversations and good times for both. What a joy it is to be retired.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Dental appointment at 1:00 PM to check status of lower jaw implants installed just before the holidays. All is good and 7 weeks from now will be the gum "uncovering" to prepare for setting posts, then the crowns two weeks after that.

Don't worry W2R, I'll take up the dental work where you left off. I figure another 3 more months and a few large ($$$). I still have some topside jaw work left.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mondays are especially sweet in retirement, because I don't have to go to work. So, I am enjoying today for that reason as well.
Oh, that's right it is Monday! Cycled 47 easy miles this morning after enjoying 77 miles yesterday. Retirement is awesome!
Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Dental appointment at 1:00 PM to check status of lower jaw implants installed just before the holidays. All is good and 7 weeks from now will be the gum "uncovering" to prepare for setting posts, then the crowns two weeks after that.

Don't worry W2R, I'll take up the dental work where you left off. I figure another 3 more months and a few large ($$$). I still have some topside jaw work left.
Oh, sorry to hear that!!! I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned in February, and I wouldn't be surprised if my dentist told me at that visit that I need more expensive dental work. It's nice to have had a few months' break from it, though.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
Oh, that's right it is Monday! Cycled 47 easy miles this morning after enjoying 77 miles yesterday. Retirement is awesome!
Wonderful!!! Yes, retirement is SO awesome, that's for sure.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #66

I had my cataract surgery five years ago, and very happy with the outcome. Now it's DW's turn, so I took her in for the measurements today. She has the same surgeon I used, and he is superb.

The bad news is that she has some very pronounced astigmatism, and will need toric lenses, which are $1,600 each out of pocket since insurance doesn't cover that. The alternative would be that she would have to wear glasses all the time instead of just readers, so it's well worth the expense.

She's pretty excited about it, and the first eye will be done next week, the other a month later.

Our surgeon is not only talented, but also just an extremely cool guy. Every year he goes back to India for a month to visit family, and while there he spends two weeks doing the same surgery for free at a local clinic. You have to love someone who does that.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I fixed the dryer with the help of RepairClinic.com and $9.22 of parts from Amazon.com.

However, it revealed that DW's gone a little too far in the now-we-can-spend-more-money department. While I had the dryer open, she said, "Why don't we just get a new dryer from Home Depot? That can put it on the truck with our new dishwasher and range."

After installing the parts, I held my breath as the igniter coil glowed. Just when I said "Ah, shoot! It didn't work." the flame ignited.

https://youtu.be/g7EQQOqJdtM?t=1m41s
Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We managed to escaped the frigid midwest and we are here in Orlando!! Oh to be warm again. Today we just hung around at the resort, hit the early bird special at the bar, did some shopping and I cooked dinner in our room. A very nice day and I am looking forward to the rest of the week.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Eat some stone crabs while you are there -
Old 01-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just when I said "Ah, shoot! It didn't work." the flame ignited.
And then, DW, looking over your shoulder saw the flame and say "Ah, shoot! It didn't work"
Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Bought an Apple Pencil to make some drawings on my iPad. Took in an iPhone photo class - now to sign up for more.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
And then, DW, looking over your shoulder saw the flame and say "Ah, shoot! It didn't work"
Good one!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #73

Gym day, and we both signed up for a weight loss program to finally (we hope) lose "that last 5 or 10 pounds" that we've been trying to lose for the last 15 years. Neither of us is way overweight but it is frustrating to seemingly do everything right and still not lose the weight. So clearly we are not doing everything right.

Also installed Turbotax and started the tax return, which at this point is simply what could be imported from last year's return.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd like to see how you are doing this. Maybe a separate thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
+1. And no excuses for it's not yet baked. We want to see your thought process as you get more facts.
It's so that y'all will say "What was he thinking"?

That makes 3 people who are interested in what I am doing. Seriously, I will post some more info, as I owe you that much for bringing this up. I am really running behind schedule, and not making as much progress as I initially expected. I know what I need to do, but darn, I am not putting in 8 hours/day like when I was working for hire, and then there are days during the holiday season when I totally goofed off.

My wife just brought up the Alaska RV trip again. She knows that I may get so engaged in this that I forego any travel this year. And if I spend most of the 2018 summer up in Alaska, I will miss the chance to stay home to fine tune the system, even if I manage to get it running. What to do?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
........ if I spend most of the 2018 summer up in Alaska, I will miss the chance to stay home to fine tune the system, even if I manage to get it running. What to do?
Take it on the road!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had my cataract surgery five years ago, and very happy with the outcome. Now it's DW's turn, so I took her in for the measurements today. She has the same surgeon I used, and he is superb.

The bad news is that she has some very pronounced astigmatism, and will need toric lenses, which are $1,600 each out of pocket since insurance doesn't cover that. The alternative would be that she would have to wear glasses all the time instead of just readers, so it's well worth the expense.

She's pretty excited about it, and the first eye will be done next week, the other a month later.

Our surgeon is not only talented, but also just an extremely cool guy. Every year he goes back to India for a month to visit family, and while there he spends two weeks doing the same surgery for free at a local clinic. You have to love someone who does that.
One of my lenses is also a toric lens and I only had to pay the incremental amount between coverage for the basic lens and that of the toric lens. IIRC my additional cost was $900. 'Regular' insurance, not Medicare. Your costs may be lower unless the $1900 is the additional cost for toric.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #77

Much warmer today, although everything is covered in salt. Seeing a car in the ditch at the bottom of my hill made me appreciate even more that I didn’t have to commute on ice-covered roads yesterday.

Took the cat to the vet for her sub-q fluids. She sits quietly for the vet tech but when we try at home she squirms and spits. Vet says it’s not uncommon. Gave us today’s visit for free.

Received a new set of Rubbermaid food containers from Amazon when we got home so spent a lot of time washing them, then rooting out all the old ones and their oddball lids and throwing them out (or saving some for sewing, the shop, or brewing uses). Marinated tofu for a stir fry, which is DW’s favorite. Making yogurt in the instant pot tonight.

Worked on a jigsaw puzzle some, too. We inherited a few from DF last year, most of which we gave him as Xmas presents.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Take it on the road!
Sure.

I would need to upgrade the motorhome to a class A to haul that 22.5KWh battery and the 5kW inverter that the former feeds. I guess I can use the RV AC as the load. And without a solar array and/or grid power, how do I recharge that battery?

In my 1st RV trip 7 years ago, I brought along my desktop PC with the idea that when I had some dead time, I could do some work like edit some previous home videos or sort the photo collection. Hah! After a day of driving, I was dog-tired. And on days when I was not driving, I was just as tired after a day of sightseeing or hiking. Brought along a bunch of books, and managed to read one on a 6-week trip.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

What an amazing hassle to get away from their clutches!
And, of course, unless you gave them a false address and phone number, you are never really rid of them.

I cancelled my subscription a couple of months ago yet get 2-3 calls a week from them.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #80
Gone but not forgotten

[QUOTE=TromboneAl;1993416].

However, it revealed that DW's gone a little too far in the now-we-can-spend-more-money department. While I had the dryer open, she said, "Why don't we just get a new dryer from Home Depot? That can put it on the truck with our new dishwasher and range."

After installing the parts, I held my breath as the igniter coil glowed. Just when I said "Ah, shoot! It didn't work." the flame ignited.

So Al we are talking about $2,000 to home depot to make the wife happy ! I would pick door one if I was you .
Closed Thread