Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I leave notes to myself. In my Tax2017 folder I have a text file called TaxPrepNotes.txt. Its first line is encouraging:

"Remember: Doing the taxes is much easier than it used to be and is easier than you think."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

It snowed.😁
First time back to the gym in a week. I didn't get the flu, but something kicked me hard.

A light workout and probably a good thing. They replaced most of the machines and they're enough different to change some pressure points.

I saw a lady come in that I'd never seen before, probably here to ski. She looked in her early 70s in good shape. She went to the dip/pull up machine and ripped off 15 unassisted pull ups! Her form was perfect!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Went to open my garage door today and it just looked back at me. Noticed the torsion spring was in two pieces. Great.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Went to open my garage door today and it just looked back at me. Noticed the torsion spring was in two pieces. Great.
When we had them replaced (two car garage) I think it was ~$300.

I saw the youtube videos on how to DIY but since I'm far more valuable to DW alive and uninjured than any amount of money I'd save on a DIY project I don't do much of that anymore. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

What did I do today? Drank lots of plain tap water and took a nice long shower instead of a ship shower. Our boil water advisory is over, so now I can DO these things.

I do not take restrictions on water usage very well.

Frank is doing his laundry over here at the moment since his washer is broken. I really don't mind because there are only two of us anyway. Even with his laundry, normally I never exceed the minimum water usage on my water bill ($2.91/month). This month it might be more because I had to run the water more than usual to keep my pipes from freezing.

All seems like a bad dream now, with outside temperatures in the low to mid 70's this afternoon.

I'm ready for summer. This snow and ice and freezing pipes and boil water advisory stuff is upsetting and I am glad we never moved north as we had planned.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When we had them replaced (two car garage) I think it was ~$300.

I saw the youtube videos on how to DIY but since I'm far more valuable to DW alive and uninjured than any amount of money I'd save on a DIY project I don't do much of that anymore. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
The Genie springs I installed on the new garage doors were tensioned with a wrench and a screw drive (or something like that). The new ones seemed pretty safe and were very easy. Nothing like the old style where you put winding bars (or screw drivers if you are a dare-devil) in the holes and wind them up.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The Genie springs I installed on the new garage doors were tensioned with a wrench and a screw drive (or something like that). The new ones seemed pretty safe and were very easy. Nothing like the old style where you put winding bars (or screw drivers if you are a dare-devil) in the holes and wind them up.
Were these springs installed over a torsion bar to lift the door? Or were they part of a newer designed door system?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #168

It is snowing today. First time we have had much of any snow this year. I am spending the day inside and catching up on balancing accounts in Quicken. I bought some CDs at Ally a few months ago and thought it was about time to get them recorded in Quicken. What a boondoggle that turned out to be. It seems that Quicken has never really included a way to do a bank CD. I ended up having to move them out of the bank account and into an investment account called "Certificates of Deposit", creating a new asset for each CD, and then "purchasing" one of each new asset with the bank account funds. What a pain!

I thought about untangling myself from Quicken this year, but with loans to DS for his schooling, that would be more of a pain than sticking with Quicken.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Were these springs installed over a torsion bar to lift the door? Or were they part of a newer designed door system?
It is a torsion bar. Only difference is how the spring is wound.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #170

We went out to lunch with the family as we always do. We walked the 13 blocks to the restaurant only to find tens of thousands of tourist's lining the streets to catch a glimpse of Papa Francisco and his Popemobile come by. Had lunch and then went next door to the grocery store. The cafe on the third floor had a great view of the street and I planned to sit their and have a coffee while watching. After a half hour waiting, Wife wanted to go home and I was ready for a nap, so we passed and went home.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #171

Made beer today for the first time in months. Somehow, even though I'm retired, I just never seemed to have the time. Or the weather, lately. Nice temps today. (For the non-brewers, all-grain brewing is an outdoor activity.)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

3 mile walk with walking group, then breakfast at a deli. Shopping for new pillows and then it was crossword puzzle and internet time.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #173

Gym day today, first day with a different workout. Then Ruby Tuesday's for lunch (salad bar, chicken breast covered in cheese + 2 slices bacon + barbecue sauce, rice - 1,055 calories!) with DW and a $5 off coupon. Good thing we don't eat out often.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #174

I plowed roads for a few hours. That was after chaining up the tires and hooking up the plow. Pretty much most of the day. First time plowing this season.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #175

Today was a day of anticipation and disappointment. I ordered 3 Moen bathroom faucets to replace the original crappy ones that came with our house.
The UPS guy first handed me a box addressed to my next door neighbor. I pointed that out to him and he then gave me the box addressed to me.
As I started to unpack it, I was finding pieces that looked nothing like I ordered!
It turned out that instead on my Moen bathroom faucet, they had shipped me a Kohler shower installation
I called the company, and they were very apologetic and were going to ship me a replacement 2nd day air. They also e-mailed me a return label.
The strange part about it was the shipping document was correct.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

A long day of hunting at my favorite hunting grounds the day after a snowstorm. Wonder how many miles I walked today? Beautiful sunrise, and I love listening to the crazy sounds the ice makes on the 3,000 acre lake there as it warms up in the morning. Did not manage to connect on any invasive doves (which are extremely tasty) and the geese stayed up by the river where I cannot go, but I did bag a couple squirrels and a rabbit who has eluded me in the past. Mid day I switched to another spot that can only be charitably called "prairie" because deserts have slightly fewer plants. Ya gotta walk long distances (tough in the snow wearing all the cold weather gear), but there are a lot of jackrabbits there and since they do not use burrows they are out and about even when everything else has gone to earth for their mid day nap. I must have flushed at least 5, but only one let me get close enough to connect.

The wind picked up in the afternoon. Toughed it out for a bit, but called it early as 25 mph winds are not amusing when the daily high is 30F and your feet are damp from a long day of slogging.

5 weeks left in season...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
.... A month later Comcast sends me a letter saying I need to return it to them. I called them up and said "It's your mistake. Either send one of your people to pick it up or have UPS come and pick it up. But, if you want me to bring it to UPS, I want a $10 credit on my bill for wasting my time helping you correct your mistake."
So what happened?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
What did you do today? 2018 version
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

What did you do today? 2018 version

Repaired the Keurig, it quit flowing water. Took the top cover off, discharge tube was plugged full of grounds.
How they got in the tank I don't know.
Took the hose off and thoroughly flushed it clean. Simple 10 minute fix.

Juiced most of my oranges and froze it in one quart batches. Saved some to make great tasting Orange Chicken for supper.

Picked spinach from the garden to go in our scrambled eggs and used the majority to make spinach dip, DW likes it with plain pita chips.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I made ricotta cheese by accident. Last night I started a batch of yogurt in my Instant Pot. Unfortunately I neglected to check the best before date on the little container of Activia that I used as a starter. This morning I found curds and whey, but no yogurt. So I think the live cultures had died. RIP, little bacteria!

Not to worry, I can make good use of the ricotta!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What did I do today? Drank lots of plain tap water and took a nice long shower instead of a ship shower. Our boil water advisory is over, so now I can DO these things.
These things are blessings in disguise. For a while, you'll take a lot more pleasure in showering although it was ho-hum before, yes?