Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congratulations! It looks like a wonderful place. It seems like it's a world away from being here in Portland.

Thanks, and no income tax.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #362

Gym day, then a minor grocery run. I'd forgotten it was Saturday, and with snow forecast for tonight the place was jammed but they had enough cashiers that there was very little line. The snow started just as we left the gym and was heavy a few minutes after we got home.

The forecast says 1 to 3 inches of snow so I may get to use the new snow thrower yet this winter. But the weather has been unseasonably warm for the last week so the pavement is warm and what has come down so far isn't sticking. And early next week is back to unseasonably warm (74°!) so clearing it is optional anyway.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Hauled and set up gear earlier this afternoon at a venue and did a sound check for a gig later tonight. While there, I met a musical acquaintance who told me that their bass player is going out of town for a month and they need someone to sub for a gig in a couple weeks.

I already know about a dozen songs on their set list but it looks like I'm going to have to learn another 22 - 24 songs. Luckily I'm retired and have the time...
Old 02-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I already know about a dozen songs on their set list but it looks like I'm going to have to learn another 22 - 24 songs. Luckily I'm retired and have the time...
.....and the talent!
Old 02-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #365
Moderator Emeritus

Cut rear yard grass (and weeds). Thatched the front lawn. Ready for weed and feed.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
.....and the talent!
I can't claim to have very much talent...but I have put in thousands of hours of practice over the years and have hopefully become somewhat competent.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #367
Moderator Emeritus

Got my taxes done, hoorah! I was procrastinating and feeling awful about the delay, so it feels good to have that off my "to do" list and DONE.

As always, I thought it would take 2-3 hours but it took 4-5 hours even with TurboTax. I have a relatively small amount still due, but due to low interest rates I went ahead and paid every cent I owed so I am DONE.

Then I went to EFTPS to schedule automatic quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS for 2018, and did a similar scheduling for Louisiana estimated taxes through their website. DONE.

What a great feeling. After finishing, I looked at my records and saw that I did my taxes only 8 days later than last year. So that wasn't as bad as I had thought. Before getting them DONE I felt truly negligent.

DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Cutting, fitting, hanging and sweating copper pipe for my air compressor drops in the garage.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #369
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Got my taxes done, hoorah! I was procrastinating and feeling awful about the delay, so it feels good to have that off my "to do" list and DONE.
How is getting your taxes done 2 months early procrastinating? You're definitely out of the club. I haven't even bought TT for this year yet.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #370
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched the Opening Ceremonies for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #371
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How is getting your taxes done 2 months early procrastinating? You're definitely out of the club. I haven't even bought TT for this year yet.
You're absolutely right! It's just the way I am, I guess.

I always think of January 31st as the deadline by which all of those tax documents are supposed to arrive, so February 1st is when I start thinking I'd better get the taxes done pronto. But really, there is no reason for that, I suppose. I'd just rather get it done so that it isn't hanging over my head.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

My brokers advise that tax documents will not arrive before mid March.

Same as last year -
Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #373
Moderator Emeritus

Finished the first round of coding on my raspberry pi based animated weather display. Weather doesn’t look good though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0668.JPG (600.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh snow and a day with highs in the 20s°F, and a bit of a breeze. After snowblowing the driveway we
decided the hot springs was the place to be.

It took a little conviction when we arrived, I suggested backing out but DW said I'm here let's go. Figure we've already bought a membership, it costs nothing to leave.

It was awesome with the steam coming off the springs. Making our way around snowy, ice walkways was more icing on the cake.

It was hard to see with all the fog. I kept myself neck deep most of the time, normally I'll keep my chest out more, but the breeze made it a little chilly on exposed skin.

After a lengthy walk to get a drink to refresh needed electrolytes, I realized it was really freaking cold outside with the breeze. After another fourty minutes I was done, too much heat. The drive home was interesting with windows and vents open.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #375
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This morning was extreemely rough. My 32 year old beard trimmer bit the dust. (: I'm going to order one with a vaccuume from Amazon. It will be hard, but I will probably survive.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
This morning was extreemely rough. My 32 year old beard trimmer bit the dust.
Shame that she went so young. Maybe it was the stress of dealing with an older guy.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #377

We had some good weather here, ~75°. Normally there's a fair chance this time of year we'll be up to our butts in snow. I went for a long walk in a short-sleeved shirt, that's the first time that's happened since last fall.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #378
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Shame that she went so young. Maybe it was the stress of dealing with an older guy.
I saw that post without the quoted section and thought something completely different.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Could it be she got tired of living in the woods with a bearded old guy and ran off with the pool boy?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #380

I think he was lucky just to be able to hire a 32 year old to trim his beard. Sorry she couldn't keep up with him though.
Closed Thread