Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went up here:20180412_131323.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #742
Give me a forum ...

I've had a nagging cough for months so I finally broke down and went to a doc in the box. His assessment was that it was seasonal allergies causing post nasal drip and he prescribed a generic cough suppressant. I had him send the prescription to Costco, as they seem to have the best drug prices. It turned out that my Part D plan did not cover this drug so I was charged $48 for 21 pills. When I got home, I looked it up on GoodRX and found I could have printed a coupon and gotten it for 1/4 that price. Such ridiculous variability for drug prices - even generics.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:13 AM   #743
Administrator

I had the same problem and the same diagnosis, but the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.
DW has been using that lately and it's been working great for her.

For me, I got the deal of the month this morning. We were ready for some pulled pork, so I stopped in at Kroger to buy a pork shoulder the other day. The guy at the butcher counter said "When are you going to cook it?" I said it would be this week, and he said there would be a three day sale on them starting today.

Great! I went in this morning and got three shoulders, 28 pounds in all, for $0.99 a pound. Saved nearly $50 from regular prices. Two are in the freezer and one will be cooked this weekend. Gotta love those loss leaders!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I had the same problem and the same diagnosis, but the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.
Good suggestion. I have been taking one Loratadine a day, but maybe I need to bump up the dose. Costco has it pretty inexpensively.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #746

Friday we drove back from Morgantown, WV (well, DW did the driving, I was far too exhausted to drive) and arrived home a bit after noon. Basically I pretty much slept for the rest of the day and night and I'm still feeling 20 years older than my age. Apparently this is going to take a while to recover from. I'm not planning any activity until at least the middle of next week.

Last month I had ordered a new R/C model airplane that was on backorder and it arrived shortly after we got home. I haven't even bothered to take it out of the box because I'm too tired to fool with it. That's a new level of "tired" for me.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #747
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took my Mom swimming this morning at her workout place. We had lunch and ice cream with my sister. Then my sister and I worked on painting her hallway. We started it yesterday and today got it almost finished up. The walls had the original builder paint, so they just sucked up the paint.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #748
Give me a forum ...

Finished up my porch gate project, lotta work! Now live in a "gated community"

Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

We are having my mother, the children, the son-in-law, and the godmother of the children over for dinner. The occasion is my SIL's birthday.

I am roasting a leg of lamb. For the poor people who do not appreciate roasted lamb, I grill some grass-fed steak. Still waiting for the guests to arrive, so I started to grill some onion basted with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The aroma of the lamb with rosemary and a bit of cinnamon is driving me insane. I am sipping a bit of Pinot Noir to tide me over.

Life is so darn good, and it really does not take a lot of money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

I have a nice 8 rib rack of lamb in the fridge. Tonight I will do the olive oil, garlic and rosemary soak and whip it up on the egg tomorrow.

Rare rack of lamb, little lambie lolly-pops to savor in delight!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Finished up my porch gate project, lotta work! Now live in a "gated community"

Gotta git me one a them fancy welders! Its high on my list when I get the house done.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #752
Administrator

I took advantage of our first warm spring day (it snowed last week) to work in the yard. I raked up and bagged a bunch of leaves. I also observed that the asparagus is coming up, but not the peas that I planted two weeks ago. The young wife and I went to lunch and ate out on the deck over the Housatonic River.

This evening, I sang in a concert at my church. My two favorite pieces were as part of an a capella octet performing "Sleep" by Eric Whitacre and "Light in the Hallway" by Pentatonix (I sang the solo part)
Old 04-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #753
Administrator

I downloaded my “FB data”. Not much of a surprise. My privacy settings are high and I don’t post much there, so very little useable data, nothing along the line of what many are complaining about. Two exceptions, though.

First, I used Messenger once years ago for a video call with DD, and that was enough for FB to upload all my contact info from my iPone directory. I need to deactivate that messenger app.

Second, I am listed as a member of a group I neve signed up for. It seems I was invited (which I vaguely recall), I don’t remember a “no thanks” option, and I just ignored it. Well, FB defines that as a tentative acceptance pending authorization. That sure is convenient for their business needs.

I’ll spend a bit more time with FB this afternoon, scrubbing the friends list and privacy settings.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Friday we drove back from Morgantown, WV (well, DW did the driving, I was far too exhausted to drive) and arrived home a bit after noon. Basically I pretty much slept for the rest of the day and night and I'm still feeling 20 years older than my age. Apparently this is going to take a while to recover from. I'm not planning any activity until at least the middle of next week.

Last month I had ordered a new R/C model airplane that was on backorder and it arrived shortly after we got home. I haven't even bothered to take it out of the box because I'm too tired to fool with it. That's a new level of "tired" for me.
I hope you get to feeling better very soon, Walt.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #755
Give me a forum ...

Gym day. After we went to lunch, only our normal place was closed. We ended up trying 4 places until we found one that was open and not too busy.

After I stopped to get gas. DW and I both noticed a lady trying unsuccessfully to put air in her tire. She suggested I ask if she wanted help. She was very grateful and I just knelt down and started to add air. I wasn't doing any better with the air chuck.

I suggested a gas station across the road had a better system and we finally looked at each other. She's the pharmacy tech I see every month. She was very appreciative.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #756
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a tree guy / arborist who specializes in climbing and cutting rather than using the big ladder trucks. I did not want to take down my fence to cut down 3 huge trees in my backyard. Yes I asked for proof of insurance.

He didn't want to cut down 2 of the 3 trees! He said he would give me an estimate for cutting them to the ground but told me they weren't diseased or actually a danger to the house and that he could just take the large threatening branches off instead. There was only one tree that is truly dead out of the 3. On the other 2 - "They are quite nice. Your back yard would be pretty bare without them"

So we went on a preventative safety assessment. He has quite a good reputation in the area, and it would be more expensive to have him take the trees to the ground so he didn't have much incentive to lie.

There is a paper white birch in front of the house that has been falling apart but is not a danger to the house. I love that tree. My father dug it up as a sapling from my grandmothers yard in the Berkshires and replanted it in our yard. I've been paying some guy to inject anti-moth stuff into it for years. However Tree Guy pointed out that the entire inside of the tree is mush. He suggested that I put it down.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Lets go Knights.
Heck of a game last night.

I'd say they have this series wrapped up.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Thank you both. DW is going to check around with the various gym chains in our city, see if any of them have those machines.
I am intrigued by these machines too. I looked at the websites for a couple of fitness center (LA Fitness and Planet Fitness) to see if they carried NuStep machines, but with no success. It seems that if you want to know detailed information about the equipment at a fitness center you need to make an appt and come in for a personal visit (gosh, I can't imagine why )

To try and avoid sitting through a sales pitch, I sent an email to NuStep and asked if they could tell me what fitness center chains carried their equipment.

I'm not holding my breath, but will update this thread if I do get any information.

UPDATE: I was pleasantly surprised to get a fast response to my email from NuStep.

Unfortunately, the information wasn't what I was hoping for. Their response indicates no NuStep machines at any chain fitness centers in my area. There are a couple of YMCAs listed, but the nearest one is 30 mins away. Except for a community college, the rest are in retirement community fitness centers.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #759

Saturday: shovelled
Sunday: shovelled
Monday: shovelled
"Historic" blizzard this long weekend.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Dropped 21 grand in the mail box to pay the taxes and the estimates.
Closed Thread