Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #1801
Recycles dryer sheets

Tv - nfl - nfl - nfl
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #1802
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today we took the dog to a park and went to a miniature horse show for a big dose of cuteness. Last night it was a tribute band concert and before that we saw a musical, Once Upon a Mattress. I though it was a cute play, and was new to me, but I learned it opened on Broadway in 1959 and was the breakout role for Carol Burnett.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #1803
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, I am so glad to read that there were no fatalities in Hong Kong, and that you are OK! I had been reading about that typhoon and apparently it caused dozens of deaths in the Phillipines.
The Philippines gets hit really hard by the typhoons - A combination of location, geography and poor infrastructure.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #1804
Recycles dryer sheets

Was loosing signals on my dish tv. I think the guy that mowed my lawn whacked the dish mount. Spent about 40 minutes waiting on the phone with Dish Network, to see if satellite aiming was a free service. Would have been $145 for a service call. Ended up on a ladder in the dark with tools, a fashlight, and a FRS radio to communicate with DW watching the signal on the tv inside the house. It was too hot during the day. We got it good enough to work
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #1805
Give me a forum ...

Advice: At age sixty-five, do not do the following three things within a short period of time:
  1. Go surfing
  2. Get a flu shot
  3. Eat eighteen oysters
Old 09-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #1806

We’ve been spending our afternoon, trying to get reimbursement for the $600 from Fepblue for our Medicare part B premium. Let’s say I’m glad we don’t do this when we’re older. All for $600.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #1807
Give me a forum ...

Hung a new ceiling fan and rehung an existing unit that was removed before the popcorn removal.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #1808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Advice: At age sixty-five, do not do the following three things within a short period of time:
  1. Go surfing
  2. Get a flu shot
  3. Eat eighteen oysters
I am not yet 65, and have not done nor think I will ever do 1) and 3) above.

But if it does not kill you it will make you stronger, right?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #1809

I’ve yet to get a flu shot. So between NW-Bound and me, we do not complete all 3. Haha
Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #1810
Give me a forum ...

We went to the Oakland Zoo today and had a fun time. We always thought it was a nice little zoo with natural enclosures and enrichment activities for the animals, but now it has doubled in size so we wanted to check out the new addition. The new area has native California animals including bison, a jaguar and bears. The coolest exhibit had four grizzly bears that were unreleasable and slated for euthanasia but instead got a large, new home at the zoo complete with a big pool and enrichment toys. They were having a blast playing in the pool together and we got watch them play from only a foot or so away (through the glass).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #1811

I’m home supervising the tech center being built upstairs. I’m glad I didn’t do this when I first purchased this house by the builder. It turns out, I like this look much better, I’m able to design its best with consideration of good fengshui, no back against stairs. Possible considering putting some of these cabinets in my garage. Perhaps converting my garage to decent living space if need be in the future.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #1812

We swam in our new pool for one of the last times this year. Super nice warm day here in Iowa, 90 plus with a good breeze. I woke up this morning and it is going to be in the 60's today. They are coming to close our pool next Wednesday.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #1813

Full house again, both kids came back last night. We went out to dim sum for some bonding time. Honestly, it was not my husband’s favorite food. But we’re enjoying listening to one kid’s adventure in Japan. Now they are both going to bake something with pumpkin for my husband.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #1814

I got a call from our park manager asking if I had left a railroad belt buckle on the "free" table. I hadn't so I went and looked at it.

I volunteer on a tourist railroad and am restoring a 23 switch engine, so I took it.
I found a belt maker close by, and took the buckle in to have a belt made. I now have a neat belt with the train buckle for "only" $45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train.JPG (152.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I got a call from our park manager asking if I had left a railroad belt buckle on the "free" table. I hadn't so I went and looked at it.

I volunteer on a tourist railroad and am restoring a 23 switch engine, so I took it.
I found a belt maker close by, and took the buckle in to have a belt made. I now have a neat belt with the train buckle for "only" $45.
I think you got a pretty good deal!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #1816
Give me a forum ...

One of my bands played Friday and Saturday night at a local bar/restaurant. On Friday a few people I used to play ball with 20 or so years ago showed up (not knowing I was playing) and I had a chance to catch up with them.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #1817

We were at the cottage last weekend with beautiful weather and a calm lake so decided to take the kayaks out. Turned the first one over and there was a monarch chrysalis attached to the seat pad. Detached it and hung it on a twig in a box that made the journey home the next day. Watching it through the week and reading up on it was fun. Yesterday it emerged. It took 4 hours to dry its wings and then crawled around the butterfly bush I had put it on before flying off. Fascinating to think of how complex their life cycle is. Most only live 4-6 weeks but this is the generation that does 6-8 months and flies to Mexico. Bon voyage!!

monarch.jpg
Old 09-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #1818
Administrator

Made and canned six half pints of jalapeno jelly. We're running out of things to do with all the jalapenos from our garden. So far, we have eaten them fresh, pickled and canned them, made hot sauce and now jelly. We've also given a bunch away, but still we're inundated. And all from only two plants. I guess they just really like it where they are.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #1819
Give me a forum ...

Been trying to restore an old quad-core desktop to run Win 7, in order to run older engineering software. I have had it with Win 10.

Decided that, before re-activating Win 7, I should buy an SSD for a fresh install. An SSD with 240GB is now $40. Amazing. No wonder my Micron Technology shares have not been doing so well; they have been giving their flash memory away.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #1820
Give me a forum ...

Why not go for win 98?
Closed Thread