Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #181

Slept until 9:00, then the gym, a large salad for lunch and enjoying unseasonably warm (55° F) temperatures. I took the small snow blower (the one in post #170) down to the shed and drained all fuel from it, put some oil in the cylinder and a bit of anti-seize on the spark plug threads - that thing was a bear to get out. The small snow blower is a new-to-me one that is a spare that I stumbled across on Craig's List that was two years old and had only been run once to make sure it worked. Close examination seems to substantiate that claim. It wasn't a steal, but the price was more than fair I thought. The idea was to get one that would be easy for DW to use if needed since she chomps at the bit to get snow cleared from the driveway and walk. I'm a bit more laid back about it. She'll get out there with a shovel and then complain about her sore back, so buying this one is a effort to make that issue go away if she's really all that concerned about clearing snow. That, and having a spare snow blower is always a good idea. Well, except maybe in Florida.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and sunny with a high of 62° and I mentioned to DW about maybe putting the other, main, two-stage snow blower away too. That one is a bigger project because there are a few things to take apart to get to oil and grease places in addition to draining all fuel, including the carburetor bowl, and on this one, changing the oil too. But then next winter all that is needed is fuel it up and go and I'll know it won't need any belts or anything caused by neglect.

DW reacted with horror at the thought: "Are you nuts? If you do that we'll get a blizzard!" Granted early February is kinda pushing the envelope on that, but then the fix is easy - put gas in it and we're ready. But I'd kind of like to see a blizzard or at least a heavy snow of a couple of feet, we've been shorted the last few years. So this is like waxing your car during a drought to make it rain.

Gosh, I love this retirement gig. So few weighty decisions to make!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

We drove from Northern California to Death Valley. The hills are so green from all the rain, and the sky was amazing with clouds clearing after the storm. The light show continued in Death Valley with golden hour on the mountains and beautiful cloud shadows. A good day to travel in the golden state!
What did you do today? 2019 version.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2019 version.

Went for a hike in the Phoenix west valley, where we were treated to several Air Force fighter jet flyovers. Then went to see Free Solo at the local IMAX theater - story of the first solo climb of Yosemite’s El Capitan without ropes.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went for a hike in the Phoenix west valley, where we were treated to several Air Force fighter jet flyovers. Then went to see Free Solo at the local IMAX theater - story of the first solo climb of Yosemite’s El Capitan without ropes.

Free Solo=great film. Jimmy Chin made another one you might enjoy, called Meru. It might be available on Netflix or Amazon. Also, speaking of flyovers, were in Death Valley yesterday, and an F4 “buzzed” us. China Lake (Navy) is just over the hill from Death Valley and they routinely fly over the park. Our guy was literally 100 feet above us!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, yesterday, but anyway—flew home on Southwest, window seat, no one in the middle seat as the aisle seat guy had his briefcase on that seat, so woohoo, armrest was mine!

Anyway, aisle seat guy was on his phone before takeoff having the exact same conversation with a customer as the aisle seat guy in my way out of town two weeks ago: apologizing for a faulty product being shipped “early”, throwing someone else under the bus who “wasn’t in the meeting where it was decided to hold the shipment until the product was tweaked”, and explaining how the early shipment of the defective product was actually a good thing because the customer would already be up to speed on it when the tweaked product was shipped. Both times my seat mates were doing all the talking, very fast, and sweating bullets. And that’s why retirement is better.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #186
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unusually warm day here in West Virginia, about 60 degrees. It’s about 50 now so decided to set outside by the fire. Very comfortable.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are on a sunshine tour in Florida to take a break from the PNW winter. Today, we walked Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary SE of Ft Myers. Birding was just OK, but we saw a fairly large alligator. The Air BnB we chose is not as nice as the last one in Ft Myers though they were both rated 5 stars. I guess people are reluctant to criticize nice hosts.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #188
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Unusually warm day here in West Virginia, about 60 degrees. It’s about 50 now so decided to set outside by the fire. Very comfortable.
Just started the fire for the evening. My fire is inside. It's about 40 degrees on a nice but windy day. I went in town to talk to the building inspectors. I wanted to make sure I was proceeding correctly on the home theater raised floor. Went back home and cut the floor joists for the raised floor.20190205_172344.jpeg
Old 02-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #189

Walked down to the lab and got some blood work done for the first time in a long time. Quite a nice day again. Amazing how green all the grass is.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to a little fresh snow and not much visibility with more falling.

When it was clearer and DW and I went out for lunch, only a few miles and still limited visibility. Hey it's the first time she's been out, except DR crap, for a while. Driving was slow in 4wd on snow packed roads. When I slowed to take the driveway it was pure ice, anti-locks kicked in and we were skating. I had go to the next road and to turn around without going into an invisible ditch.

DW is feeling a little better, the nuerologist started her on topamax. Her pain is down and she is only taking half the hydrocodone. Topamax takes a while to start working, you have to ramp up the dosage. Hopefully the trend continues. Somehow they got her MRI pushed through a day early and it's unremarkable.[emoji1]

ETA. I did get a big kick. The arrogant ER doc up her who gave her ketamine was telling her what an expert he was on cluster headaches, her then current diagnosis. He made all kinds of claims about them and how he was treating her. The nuerologist confirmed she doesn't have cluster headaches.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #191
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I mentioned a few days ago that I was ditching Dish TV and had told them (repeatedly) to cancel my account at the end of the current billing month, which is 2/11. Today I sold my portable Dish antenna and receiver to a fellow RVer. It has been inactive since November but was still listed on my account, and I contacted Dish to have it removed so the new owner could activate it on his account.

Dish said it would not remove my customer owned receiver since I voluntarily terminated my service effective 2/11. What? The receiver would be removed at that time and until then the new owner could not use it. "Sorry for the inconvenience" was their weasel-worded response.

I pointed out I wasn't inconvenienced at all, their new customer was the one who was going to be miffed at their arbitrary decision not to allow him to activate the receiver for another week - a week of revenue they would be giving up for no apparent good reason. I may have also mentioned something about the fact this was an example of why their business model reminded me of the telephone land line and typewriter industries.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

I did this a couple of days ago. My first smoked brisket. Smoked with pecan. It pretty much took all day. Was too tired to post afterwards, LOL! The brisket point (fatty) end was to die for.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brisket-after-a-few-hours-smoking600.jpg (108.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg flat-end-sliced600.jpg (118.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #193

Nice job -- that looks terrific.

Pecan is pretty mild, though. I only use it when I want to get a bit of color in a turkey. Next time try smoking it with post oak. That seems to be the go-to wood for brisket, especially in Texas.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nice job -- that looks terrific.

Pecan is pretty mild, though. I only use it when I want to get a bit of color in a turkey. Next time try smoking it with post oak. That seems to be the go-to wood for brisket, especially in Texas.
Thanks!

Brisket wood depends on where you are in TX and the readily available local wood: East TX - pecan, Central TX - post oak, West Texas - mesquite. Down here it would normally also be mesquite as neither oak nor pecan are native here, but we got tons of mesquite!

My brother really likes pecan for brisket so I decided to try that. The smoke smell was heavenly and the meat had a good smoky flavor. Actually the pellets I used are a blend of oak and pecan - pellet grill/smoker and the base wood is oak AFAIK.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #195

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of mesquite myself, but many think it's too strong.

Anyway, your brisket looked great.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Put the last coat of varnish on my desk project then drove out to Dublin and had a forty dollar lunch.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #197

Sat on the beach and drank
Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #198

Just took three beautiful racks of baby backs out of the Egg.

I get meat at a number of different places, but the ribs at Aldi have always been the best. Better than Kroger or Costco, and actually better than my local old fashioned butcher shop.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #199
Moderator Emeritus

Just awakened from a delightful nap. I don't think I ever took a nap before I retired but now I sometimes drift off here in my easy chair after lunch. Such luxury.

So far today has been really nice - - it's 82F out there, shorts and sandals weather. Salads for lunch, and then we went for a pleasant drive around the neighborhood. A house nearby is now on the market for half a million, so we drove by to check it out. Our verdict after seeing the outside of the house, which looks pretty trashy, is that it cannot possibly be worth that much but some fool will probably pay it. We are happy where we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just took three beautiful racks of baby backs out of the Egg.
Wow, three racks of ribs? That's a lot. I hope you have guests on the way! Sounds delicious.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just awakened from a delightful nap. I don't think I ever took a nap before I retired but now I sometimes drift off here in my easy chair after lunch. Such luxury.

A nap is a serious luxury. After reading this I checked for prior threads and found a “Do You Nap?” one from a while ago. I don’t know if it’s active.

The sleep tracking feature from smart watches/wearables (I have a Fitbit) helps decide if you could use a nap based on last night’s sleep. Reliable for me and almost always improves the rest of the day.

Closed Thread