Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #1981
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)
Beautiful pictures!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Went to dentist.
Had first stage of root canal.
Getting old sucks moose balls.

Yes, sometimes it does!

Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #1983
Moderator Emeritus

Installed a new tap handle in my beer fridge.

Spending a month in Ireland recently, I came to enjoy the daily visits to the local pub to quaff a perfect pint of Guinness. Enjoyed it enough that I decided I should have the same experience at home.

In our last few days there, we were in Dublin and during the obligatory visit to Guinness I learned (and got a certificate to prove it) how to pour the perfect pint of the black stuff.

Putting another tap in was easy, since I already had three. The special part was getting the actual stout tap faucet and then finding a place to get the special gas mixture for dispensing it (75% nitrogen, 25% CO2).

Enjoying one as I type this.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #1984
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The other day I went for a beer and discovered my converted freezer’s digital thermostat had burped and had made two five-gallon beercicles. Not to mention the broken bottle of Prosecco surrounded by Prosecco slurpee, solid bottles of aging imperial stout and barleywine that were going “sssss,” and solid cans of IPA. I spent this morning cleaning all that up after letting it thaw overnight.

I ordered a new thermostat but now the old one seems to be working. Not sure if this is smart but I’m going to see if it continues to work. We had a very brief power glitch the other day, with some clocks flashing and others unaffected, so maybe that’s what caused the problem. Fingers crossed.
GalaxyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #1985
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Finished going through my work clothes pulling out things to give to Goodwill, and started going through some shelves for more things to get rid of. Found a bag of 1960s-vintage dolls, including a "Baby Secret" doll. Pull her string, and she says various things in a childish whisper:

"Is anyone else awake?"
"Hold me close and whisper."
"I like to sleep with you."
"I like to whisper in the dark."
"I want to tell you something."
"I know a secret. Do you?"
"Will you tell me a story?"
"My name is Baby Secret."
"Don't talk so loud!"
"Let's whisper, pss, pss, pss, pss."
"Listen, what's that?"

Innocent stuff in the 1960s, but today it seems that Baby Secret is high on the list of creepy talking vintage dolls. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to put her high on the value list.
Now, THAT'S funny! I'm sure there is still a market for those dolls. Sad, but true.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Now, THAT'S funny! I'm sure there is still a market for those dolls. Sad, but true.
In the next Scream movie...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #1987

Moved from one campground to another. Walked around a lake. Explored a new town. Ate pizza. Took video of a heron in flight. Did nothing constructive.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #1988
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got rid of the old 70s style builder grade mantle that I've hated since we moved in this house. I wanted to replace it after I retired. I was going to just install an off the shelf one to save money but learned that there is none that meets my specs. A custom built one costs too much. So, I went to youtube and found this DIY shaker style. Built it in three days for a fraction @ $110. I intentionally took my time making it since I have more time now albeit limited tools. I don't have a table saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old.jpg (674.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg new.jpg (523.7 KB, 27 views)
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #1989

Today is a good retiree stay home day. Two loads of laundry done. Walked in the neighborhood. Played around on the computer and watched some TV. I am going to make an early lunch for DH and myself and then head out on a few errands. I will make it over to see my Mom and Dad today and take a malt to my Dad. Today is our first really cold day of the season, 37, cloudy and very windy.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
I got rid of the old 70s style builder grade mantle that I've hated since we moved in this house. I wanted to replace it after I retired. I was going to just install an off the shelf one to save money but learned that there is none that meets my specs. A custom built one costs too much. So, I went to youtube and found this DIY shaker style. Built it in three days for a fraction @ $110. I intentionally took my time making it since I have more time now albeit limited tools. I don't have a table saw.

Nice! I bet its rewarding to have done it with your own hands.

Today, I upgraded my desktop Mac to Mojave. Im reluctant to go with the just released Catalina. Maybe next year. Next, will need some newer apps, since some of my are ancient and getting senile.

Next, will update DWs desktop, but need new video card. Were losing the nice weather here, so its a good time to start dealing with this stuff.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #1991
Recycles dryer sheets

Changed the carrier bearing rubber cushion on my f550. So much fun I'm thinking of selling tickets as I have to do DW truck next!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #1992

Removed & replaced the caulking on the MB shower pan where it meets the floor and on the tub in the hallway bathroom.

That's enough work for one day.
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #1993
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday we voted in our state and local elections. It was drizzling, and the line for our precinct was long, but I did it despite my new knee (which is mostly recovered from my total knee replacement surgery by now).

The gentleman in front of me saw my knee scar and walker, and volunteered to let me go before him. Then the gentleman in front of him did the same! Both were seniors like us so I thought that was especially gallant. I love my neighborhood and neighbors. They are the best.

It was still a long wait, but once I had voted there were chairs to sit on while I waited for F to vote. I guess I could have done absentee or early voting, but I like going to the polls on election day for some reason.

Then we went out to lunch, ran some errands, and came home. It's nice to be able to drive again now that sufficient time has passed since that knee surgery. Life is returning to normal, at last.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #1994

Went to a jam last night...played from 8 until 1:30. Now just sipping my coffee waiting for the drywall mudder to show up. Once he is done we can paint and then finally put things back in their place. Currently the contents of 3 closets are piled up in the living room while the bedrooms and closets are being rebuilt.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #1995

spending the day with SIL and DD for her birthday, and grand baby, who is a month old already. What a blessing.
Old Today, 11:10 AM   #1996
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday we voted in our state and local elections. It was drizzling, and the line for our precinct was long, but I did it despite my new knee (which is mostly recovered from my total knee replacement surgery by now).

The gentleman in front of me saw my knee scar and walker, and volunteered to let me go before him. Then the gentleman in front of him did the same! Both were seniors like us so I thought that was especially gallant. I love my neighborhood and neighbors. They are the best.

It was still a long wait, but once I had voted there were chairs to sit on while I waited for F to vote. I guess I could have done absentee or early voting, but I like going to the polls on election day for some reason.

Then we went out to lunch, ran some errands, and came home. It's nice to be able to drive again now that sufficient time has passed since that knee surgery. Life is returning to normal, at last.
Glad to hear you are doing well and very mobile, W2R!

I'm still scheduled for hip #2 replacement in mid November. Funny how the pain has subsided after the decision was made to have the surgery! But, deep inside my pea-sized brain, I just know the arthritis and bone spurs won't go away by themselves.

Yesterday, myself and two friends went to the annual Corvette show put on the the Houston Corvette Club here in The Woodlands. Nice cars,...brings back memories of when I had my 1965 Stingray.
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #1997

There's a local free shredding event coming up, and since I don't have access to the industrial shredders at my old office I spent much of the weekend digging through boxes of old paper that should have been destroyed years ago. After putting aside what was worth keeping such as tax returns <7 years old and brokerage statements reflecting the bases of currently-held mutual funds, we filled four copy paper boxes. Some of this stuff went back to the early 1980s, and I feel pretty sheepish that I still had all of it. It was kind of fun looking at my tax return from 1982, but only for a brief moment.

I threw away my old professional engineer's stamps, too. Death to clutter! especially when it reminds me of w*rk.
GalaxyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #1998

Took down the blinds, shades, etc. from the window in the master bathroom and painted the window frame. Naturally it's right over the luxury size bath tub, making access harder than just walking up to it. When the paint was dry, put everything back. Next up is pulling the quarter-round from the baseboards, masking & painting, and putting it all back.