What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troubleshot a strand of LED Christmas lights that had three bad segments out of four. Strangely, each bad segment had a bad blue bulb, where the anode lead of the LED had broken off right at the base of the LED's case. It looked like the lead had corroded, as it was coated with a white powdery substance. Galvanic corrosion perhaps? I had replacements for two of the bulbs. For the third one I stuck a "penny" in it: stuffed in a bit of copper wire to make a short and plugged the socket with an empty bulb. Seems to work fine, but I'll use that strand on the non-flammable cement pagoda in the back yard.

Had to run to the store for some bay leaves for the vat of turkey noodle soup I was making, and hoped to get my second Shingrix shot while I was there. But the pharmacy was out, so I'll have to psych myself up for it again another day. Darn, I thought the shortages were over! :mad:

Today we replaced both our desktops with Windows 10. It seems to be working fine, but one of my favorite games had to be downloaded from a site.
I have been helping DW adjust to the new PC. I also lost some of my logons but I had a list fortunately.
P.S. I got TT 2019 loaded and it did have my last years files.

Honestly I am not like that. I am just so acclimated to hot weather, living here. Also I really do like changes in weather. Really, I do. But.... maybe not quite so much change in just one day.
6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

When I lived in Southern California, any temperature near or below 55 was considered 'freezing'. Now that I live in colder area of the country, 55 seems down right balmy in late autumn and winter.

The worst thing about the really cold weather, below 40, is that the air gets dry and my sinuses complain. I bought one of those nasal lavage kits years ago. They help.

When I lived in Southern California, any temperature near or below 55 was considered 'freezing'. Now that I live in colder area of the country, 55 seems down right balmy in late autumn and winter.

The worst thing about the really cold weather, below 40, is that the air gets dry and my sinuses complain. I bought one of those nasal lavage kits years ago. They help.

+1 My sinuses have been driving me completely bonkers lately, too. Frank suggested one of those kits as well, but I haven't tried it yet. Probably should.

To me, anything below about 68 is pretty doggone cold. Normally I wear shorts and sandals every day, with a short sleeved t-shirt, but not below 68F. Right now at about noon, it is sunny and bright but only 51F outside. Brrr. At least the howling winds have gone away.

To me, anything below about 68 is pretty doggone cold. Normally I wear shorts and sandals every day, with a short sleeved t-shirt, but not below 68F. Right now at about noon, it is sunny and bright but only 51F outside. Brrr. At least the howling winds have gone away.

You made me smile. I expect we will hit 68° around next May. Awesome day here, bright sunshine 45° making some snow melt. DW cracked up when we were driving down the road, a heron was perched on the iced over lake looking for water. It didn't stay long.

Managed to chat with the CPA, I'm seeing him tomorrow. I can't understand him on the phone, he has a bit of an accent and speaks very softly.

The best news was about 5AM. My bubble is gone!!!! No more restrictions and no little friend covering my vision. My vision is not near perfect, that eye has a wrinkle in the image. Doc says it takes a while.

The best news was about 5AM. My bubble is gone!!!! No more restrictions and no little friend covering my vision. My vision is not near perfect, that eye has a wrinkle in the image. Doc says it takes a while.
Wonderful!!!! I am so glad that your vision is coming back. :D :dance:

As for weather, it is 53F outside right now (BRRRR!!). When I got home from going out to lunch, it was down to 68F inside the house. So, I turned the heat on and turned up the thermostat to 72F. Instead of shorts and sandals, I am wearing long pants, thick wool socks and running shoes, and a sweatshirt. Oh well, at least the air conditioning bill will be about zero this month, at this rate.

Dentist appointment for cleaning & checkup, one little cavity found, made appointment to get that fixed next week. Then gym and home.

Replaced our STD rural mailbox with a new larger one (4x). Ordering more stuff online now and our mailman doesn't like to come down our 500' driveway to deliver small packages so they tend to stuff everything into the box on the street.

The neighbor came up and got his dog yesterday. The dog had been hanging out on the porch for a couple of days. The wind had been ferocious when he came over and the porch is out of the wind. I emailed them to let them know. They live in the town down the road so it is only about 45 minutes up here. The dog was happy to head back down to their town home.

Heck yes! If my mailbox had an STD I'd get rid of it, too!

He should have invested in a mailbox cover but too late now!

Today I went to the local LDS Family History Center to retrieve an original genealogical record for my gggrandmother. Some records they have indexed online but you can only get to the digitized microfilm images via their computers. Anyway, I discovered errors in the index and once I saw the original things fell into place. I've been futzing with that record for a while.

Plan to get a haircut, finish putting up the Christmas decorations, clean the house, then be with grandson tonight.
Vertigo is almost gone--Yeah!

Today was a big psychological step in my FIRE journey. Even though I left work six months ago, it was only today that I submitted all the paperwork to the three state bars where I am admitted to practice in order to change my status to inactive/retired. It will save me about $600 per year in fees and taxes. More importantly, it is a concrete sign that I am "all-in" on this retirement thing.

Day 16 after hip replacement surgery:

Each day I add more walking (that's the PT for a hip replaced using the anterior procedure). Yesterday I hit 5,500 steps with the dog attached to the walker(LOL). I'm still using the walker outdoors to minimize a fall. Indoors is either a cane or just walk normally. This morning I was a bit tired from the increase in exercise yesterday. Today, just pace myself.

Being outdoors this week with the great weather has been wonderful - 40's in the AM and up to 70 during the day with full sun. I love south Texas winters!

The actual hip area pain is gone, and all that remains is slight swelling around my thigh.

My diet includes 60 - 80 grams of protein per day, per the Doc, since muscle rebuilding is paramount. I eat a few handfuls of nuts each day also. Not really watching the carbs, but not a big carb person anyway.

I have another Doc appointment 1/8/20 and that should be it.:cool:

Last edited:
Was on my way to my mancave this morning, but highway was blocked by fire engine. A Triaxle coal truck "hit a tree and rolled over", estimated time to re-open road was 1 hr at 0800, at 1300 road still blocked.

Washed salt crud off truck and undercarriage.

Pic of section of highway

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 56
  • coal truckcrash.jpg
    coal truckcrash.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Was watching tv and saw a Carvana ad where they will make you an offer for your car with just your license plate and answering a few questions. Curious so I went through the process. Offer was about 76% of the retail value per Black Book Weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom