Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Was a ladder involved?

How about a picture?
Yes, a ladder was involved; no, a picture was not.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #302
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Cut the cord - and my head.

Attacked by a satellite dish while removing it from the side of the house. Three staples in my scalp...
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like Dish Network really wants to make it difficult to quit their service.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sounds like Dish Network really wants to make it difficult to quit their service.
+1

Maybe I should have listened more carefully to what the Dish CSR was telling me instead of just repeating, "Please cancel my service."
Old 02-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #304
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cut the cord - and my head.

Attacked by a satellite dish while removing it from the side of the house. Three staples in my scalp...
Quote:
Yes, a ladder was involved
Ow! That sounds so painful, and head injuries bleed so much that they can be awfully scary. Glad you got it taken care of. "Dr. W2R" recommends R&R for the rest of the day. (OK, I'm not a medical professional, but I'm a mom, does that count? )

I hope it heals swiftly and I'm glad you didn't end up with a broken arm or leg or foot or something like that.

BTW, Frank (age 64) and I (age 70) intentionally do not climb on ladders any more; maybe that is something you might want to consider at some point in the future. It's amazing how life goes on despite not climbing on ladders.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #305

The ladder wasn't the problem, it was the occupant. Specifically, it was the lack of "wasn't it obvious that was going to happen?" planning. The results would have been the same standing on the ground.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #306

Quote:
The ladder wasn't the problem, it was the occupant. Specifically, it was the lack of "wasn't it obvious that was going to happen?" planning. The results would have been the same standing on the ground.
About two years ago my doctor (who loves to lecture his patients about pretty much everything) went up a 12 foot stepladder in his back yard to hang a bird feeder on a tree. He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues. He's not my doctor any more (although that's not the reason).
Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues...
"You want to tell me about your pain? You don't know what pain is", says the doctor.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
About two years ago my doctor (who loves to lecture his patients about pretty much everything) went up a 12 foot stepladder in his back yard to hang a bird feeder on a tree. He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues. He's not my doctor any more (although that's not the reason).
This is pretty much why I don't get on ladders anymore. A couple of years ago, I took two spills while up on my Dad's roof (thankfully, low pitch, not far off the ground). Thankfully, I was only sore for a few days, no real damage. These days, I gladly pay people if I need something done "up high".
Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #309
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Ouch! But it’s not your fault. They just don’t make ladders as secure as they did when we were younger.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #310

Plenty of company:
Quote:
According the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, every year 500,000 people are treated for ladder-related injuries and approximately 300 of these incidents prove to be fatal.
Now add those who don't injure themselves badly enough to seek medical treatment and the number of accidental ladder-related injuries becomes pretty alarming.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #311
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Plenty of company:

Now add those who don't injure themselves badly enough to seek medical treatment and the number of accidental ladder-related injuries becomes pretty alarming.

That is the reason DW insists that I stay off more than a 2 step step stool. I was considering sign up for rock climbing on our next cruise, until I got up on a stepstool and trid to get something down that was over my head. My balance is not what it used to be, so I scrubbed the idea.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I was too fast to blame the ladder. Sorry!!

Hope your head heals fast and completely.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

The county plowed this morning and left a present at the end of the driveway. Blew snow a couple times and cleaned up some slush around the garage door. I read the area snowfall is estimated at 90-110 inches and its still snowing.

DW and I walked a mile around our circle. Very calm and peaceful walking around in the snow. Very little traffic which was good, with hats and hoods you can't hear a vehicle coming up behind you very well. They can't stop and go again very well either.

We met the only other person who was out and his dog. Dog was having a blast, jumping up on six foot snowbanks and perching on them.

Stayed in most of the afternoon, and watched it snow. Then we lost internet, felt pretty isolated for a short time.

Took a picture. That's a Subaru in the distance for scale.
20190221_114501.jpeg
Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This made me check my ladder mishap. It was 2005, when I was 52.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...iot-17013.html

Often, this forum is the only record I have of when something happened.

I used it recently to clean the first-floor gutters, but even getting that heavy beast into position was harder than it used to be. I no longer go up onto the roof.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #315
Administrator

I continue to "shed load" as the time winds down to my retirement at the end of May.

Yesterday, I learned that I won in the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on my last outstanding case. I had argued before the court last February and it took over a year to get the decision. The case may very well end up in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2020, because it involves an important issue of federal preemption of state law and there is a clear and unequivocal split on the issue in the Circuit Courts. But I'll be gone, so someone else in my office will have to handle it.

Today, I was promoted and given a raise. I am somewhat amused, because my loss in the market today was double the amount of the total raise between now and my retirement.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

^ Congrats, Gumby!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #317
Give me a forum ...

Finally got the garage roof replaced. I signed a contract a month ago, but between weather and a vacation it got delayed and delayed. This AM the roof was covered in ice and I wondered if the crew would work, but they started from ladders and then got to it. I was impressed at how fast and efficiently they worked and finished just before dark.

I've done roofing myself, when I was in my 20's, and even though it was expensive, I'm glad to pay for someone else to do that kind of work.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
... This AM the roof was covered in ice and I wondered if the crew would work, but they started from ladders and then got to it. I was impressed at how fast and efficiently they worked and finished just before dark...
What people would do for money...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Three person crew were all Hispanic, two of whom did not seem to speak any English. These guys really worked hard.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why not? I know a guy who owns a small roofing company. He has told me that he only really needs to do 1 - 2 houses a week to make a good living. So he does 3 or 4 a week from May to October and then enjoys 6 months off, spending much of the winter in warmer climates.

However, he doesn't work in rain or icy conditions.
Closed Thread