Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boy does this thread load fast now.

Yesterday, at 7am when the gym opened I had my pick of any treadmill. Then I went home and did the net worth spreadsheet. Well, I don't have to rebalance this year, so I guess that's good.

Today was back to 5am opening and the pool and gym were packed. You get to know the schedule of other people who come at the same time. It was striking to see people poking around getting ready for their work day. Every single one that I noticed was a few minutes behind their normal schedule and had a world-weary face. I'll take my stock market anxiety over that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #22

Yesterday I fixed a yummy brunch pizza (crust of cheesy hashbrowns baked with eggs and smoked pork on top) and we enjoyed just hanging out with DD and her girlfriend before taking them to the airport. Fixed Hoppin John (blackeyed peas with ham over rice) for our good luck New Year's dinner. Watched Texas beat Georgia - enjoyed texting with DS who was at the game.

Today it's raining and in the 30s - even the dog doesn't want to go for a walk. So I've been trying to finish the jigsaw puzzle we've been working on for several days in between doing end-of-year financial stuff. Was surprised to find that 35% of the miles I put on my car last year were still for charitable activities even though I have cut back on my time commitments.

Sadly, I heard this morning that a good friend is starting hospice care. Her cancer treatments over the past few years wore down her body (and spirit) and after a bad fall and hospital stay in November, her condition deteriorated rapidly. She's only 63. Very sad for her husband and children.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went back to the office yesterday for the retirement of a former co-worker who is also one of my golf buddies.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Going ice fishing for blue gills. I haven't catch one yet this year maybe my lucky day. LOL
Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finishing up the un-decorating. DH is starting the process to get certified for AARP Tax Aide, so I’m helping him a bit when he gets stuck on a practice problem. (Since I’m an Instructor, I had to complete certification in December).

Making a run to the UPS store to ship packages. Dad left his jacket here after his visit so I have to ship that. Also, the bride-to-be DD is sending “please be my bridesmaid” gifts to friends that she couldn’t see during her recent visit. She got everything packaged up but couldn’t get to the shop before it closed last night. She flew out at 6 am this morning, so the package sending is left to me.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #26

Tough day today. Had to say goodbye to our cat who gave us great joy for the last 16 years.

We won't be getting another pet. Partly because we don't want to put ourselves through this again and partly because it might outlive us. DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Tough day today. Had to say goodbye to our cat who gave us great joy for the last 16 years.

We won't be getting another pet. Partly because we don't want to put ourselves through this again and partly because it might outlive us. DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.
I am so sorry to read this, braumeister. Losing a dear pet is so sad and mourning the loss of a pet can be more lengthy and heartbreaking than we sometimes expect.

It might be a good idea to not make any big pet related decisions until some time has passed. Even though another cat could never replace your cat, still it might bring some joy to your lives in its own, different way.

I don't know anything at all about volunteering at a shelter, but in my imagination there might be more actual work and less interacting with one's favorite animals than desired. But you and your DW probably know more about that than I do (nearly anyone would).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.
Friends of mine put down a sick dog a few years ago and the wife took a job at a shelter to "scratch that itch". Their plan was to be pet free for a few years so they could take a few trips. She ended up falling for a dog within a couple months and they adopted it.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

FINALLY the results of my rebalancing (done in the morning of 1/1/2019) showed up in my Vanguard brokerage accounts this morning. Stupid me, I thought that would be faster, not slower, with brokerage accounts.

Oh well. I just feel like a fool for switching over to brokerage accounts. Vanguard led me to believe that if I didn't, they would do it anyway. I guess I was reading that into their wording and that really wasn't what they said. At any rate I haven't heard of anybody on the forum who was forcibly switched to brokerage accounts. I am the last person on earth who would need a brokerage account since all I have are mutual funds and I just strictly buy and hold (and rebalance).

It is rainy and yucky here today. We went to lunch earlier than usual, ran errands, and now I am back home. The rest of the day is mine, and I don't plan to do one single thing today that I don't want to do. I foresee some online shopping, or at least browsing Amazon, then some video gaming, and maybe a nap.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
What did you do today? 2019 version.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

What did you do today? 2019 version.

With the S&P heading down over 2% today, I did a bit more nibbling and bought some total USA Index and International Index so as to re-balance. I am still waiting for the -20%+ decline to make the big buying decisions.

This was after I returned from a local retail store where I purchased Christmas decorations for later this year at 70% off. With the market going down again today, I figure I may not willing or able to pay full price later this year.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

DW is on her third day of intense headaches. She thought she had a migraine, but after taking her meds with no benefit, probably not so. She got into see her PCP, who thinks she has a sinus infection. She gave her an antibiotic, steroid, and something that doesn't work for pain. It does tear her stomach up very well though, so obviously it does something. She's one sick puppy. I feel really bad she's in such pain, obviously no opioids are needed.[emoji22]

It was below zero when we got up, cold all day. It was 5°f when I took DW to her doctor appointment. It was so cool to see this bird fishing. I hope it shows up, on the top of the pole, above the solar panel in the white cup. It's a kingfisher. I watched it dive into the lake and come up with zero fish. Had to be pretty cold diving in the lake. The lake is all frozen over except where there's a bubbler pumping air into the water. That bird has been there all day, what an amazing creature.20190103_132811.jpeg
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
FINALLY the results of my rebalancing (done in the morning of 1/1/2019) showed up in my Vanguard brokerage accounts this morning.

Got my final withdrawals/rebalancing done and in the books today too. That’s reason for celebration!

Hopefully no further messing around with retirement accounts until the end of December 2019. I’ve had enough. Onward to more fun things!

Badly quoting a poem recently appearing on a podcast: the New Year lies ahead, like a large field covered by freshly-fallen snow without the trod of a single footprint.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #33

It was just another day in the paper mines. But this morning I realized I have just passed 15 years of running my own business as of last month.

So, that's... something.. I guess.

Sure hope I don't end up doing it for 20 years.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear this. It is tough losing our fur babies. Hugs.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #35

Quote:

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is so hard to say goodbye.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Worked on call yesterday, orienting another new supervisor again!
Having lunch today with a former co-worker from 30 years ago--we caught up with each other a couple of years ago and now keep in touch.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #37

Coffee and banter with the wife. Opened new HSA at Fidelity. Workout at the gym. Shopped for a swimsuit to no avail (heading to the Caribbean). Home Depot stop then made lunch. Made an appointment with the Mrs to do the nasty later today.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Got an email from American Express today:

Quote:
We received your request to have a replacement Card sent to an address other than the one we have on file.

If you did not make this request, please call us at 1-888-800-5234
Yeah, that was NOT ME that called and asked for a replacement card to be sent to another address!

OK, I called them and stopped the thief.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I wrote a check to the IRS for estimated tax for 2018. I'd like to say that was necessary thanks to earnings that far exceeded my expectations, but it wasn't .

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

While DW was walking the track at our local 'Wellness Centre' I walked up and down stairs there. Just started back into it, (still use the elliptical), and did 2,320 (upward) risers today.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread