Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
My first attempt at no knead bread. GF loved it. I used regular flour but will be looking to make rye or multi-grain next time if that's possible. I also might try using ceramic onion soup bowls for mini loaves:

Attachment 30984
I've gotten into baking bread in ER, as well. That loaf looks very much like what I come out with. I've had a good sourdough starter going for over a year now and I bake three loaves about once per week, freezing two of them.

I'm getting hungry just looking at that photo!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #442

We are in the middle of the storm of the decade - no, wait, the storm of the century. Let's make that the STORM OF THE MILLENIUM!! (Maybe I have been listening to the local news too much. ) Anyway, drifts are now up to a couple feet, the electricity is going on and off as is the internet. I have all the water jugs filled along with the bath tub. Also plenty of liquid libations and food. I can fire up the generator if need be. I brought enough firewood in for a couple of days. The plow is on the truck and it is chained up and full of gas. The storm is supposed to last into the evening with sunny skies tomorrow. If we lose electricity it, we may not get it back for a few days. I think I am good to go.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
We are in the middle of the storm of the decade - no, wait, the storm of the century. Let's make that the STORM OF THE MILLENIUM!! (Maybe I have been listening to the local news too much. ) Anyway, drifts are now up to a couple feet, the electricity is going on and off as is the internet. I have all the water jugs filled along with the bath tub. Also plenty of liquid libations and food. I can fire up the generator if need be. I brought enough firewood in for a couple of days. The plow is on the truck and it is chained up and full of gas. The storm is supposed to last into the evening with sunny skies tomorrow. If we lose electricity it, we may not get it back for a few days. I think I am good to go.
Stay safe, dry, and warm!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stay warm and safe Hermit.

Woke up to more snow, wet heavy snow. On top of yesterday's snow cones it was very heavy. Snowblower was taxed by lifting it. Eventually it couldn't keep up and plugged. A couple hours later I saw the county plowed and left 40" of gunk at the end of the driveway. Nice! By this time the snowblower was melted and I was able to get the majority of it out.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #445
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I went skiing today. The conditions were great! They are due a big snow tomorrow with a big one here on Thursday.
Glad to hear that someone is out and enjoying it! I love the snow, but in full recovery mode (flat on back, elevated leg) for the next four weeks.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBound View Post
Glad to hear that someone is out and enjoying it! I love the snow, but in full recovery mode (flat on back, elevated leg) for the next four weeks.
My condolences. I hope things are better next season.

I don't burn the slopes up like I used to, but still love it for as long as the legs last for the day. Then I sit out a run or two with my adult kids before I do one or two more runs to finish my day.

One of my ski buddies had open heart surgery this week (in his early 80s). He just moved to Arizona this fall so I don't have as much contact with him. I hope I have the opportunity to get back on the slopes with him next season. I am starting to believe that saying about getting old is not for sissies.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #447

Dug a hole to get ready for 2 of the tomato plants I will be putting in Saturday. I put off digging the other hole until tomorrow to have something to do
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I've gotten into baking bread in ER, as well. That loaf looks very much like what I come out with. I've had a good sourdough starter going for over a year now and I bake three loaves about once per week, freezing two of them.

I'm getting hungry just looking at that photo!
I was surprised how nice it looked...that was my first ever loaf of bread. But that really only proves that the recipe is idiot proof My GF sent the pic to a couple friends and it blew them away. I'll make it again...and other breads too, of course.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #449
gone traveling

Yesterday was mid 50s for the first time in months, and not raining, so I was able to pull my daughter's camper out of her yard without leaving ruts. Today will be 70* for the first time in 160 days, then cooling off into the 40s. I think we might miss the storm of the century, but I may buy some bread, and milk anyways.
It's Alive!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #450

It's Alive!

Well, not really alive, but it works.

Almost three weeks ago we had a bit of a windstorm that blew the A/C condensing unit off the pad overnight, in addition to cutting off power for ~12 hours. We were able to just push it back in place but since it was too cold to turn on the A/C and test it we had no way of knowing if anything was damaged.

Today between the outside temperature of 72° F and sunlight coming in the windows we let it get to 81° inside and turned on the A/C just to see if it worked. Yay, it did! So for right now anyway it seems that there were no lasting effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high winds effect (3 of 5).jpg (143.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #451
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced the driver's side door weather seal in my 1998 F150. Washed the truck, aired up tires on two cars, and cleaned my workbench. Whew! Time for a rest.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #452
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, not really alive, but it works.

Almost three weeks ago we had a bit of a windstorm that blew the A/C condensing unit off the pad overnight, in addition to cutting off power for ~12 hours. We were able to just push it back in place but since it was too cold to turn on the A/C and test it we had no way of knowing if anything was damaged.

Today between the outside temperature of 72° F and sunlight coming in the windows we let it get to 81° inside and turned on the A/C just to see if it worked. Yay, it did! So for right now anyway it seems that there were no lasting effects.
Congratulations! What a surprise, and relief, that must be.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #453

Got home today after being gone for 11 days. I flew out Mon Mar 4 to help my sister on her house in NM. Summary of what I did for 8 days of 10-12 hours/day:
1. Painted entire inside of house, including ceilings, but not inside closets. Removed all the cover plates, HVAC vents, window blinds, and light fixture bases from ceilings. Then put them all back after paint was done. Ceilings painted white; walls, doors and trim/baseboards painted in neutral light beige type color.
2. Got new carpet ordered up to replace all carpet in the house
3. Replaced 4 light fixtures
4. Removed all window blinds and washed them outside with water to make then super clean. Replaced one damaged blind with a new one
5. Super cleaned tile floors and put floor polish on to make them shiny gloss
6. Many small projects fixing things around house and outside
7. Painted garage door and trim around garage door
8. Got papers signed with a realtor to sell the house
9. Helped her review her finances and budget to get her back on track
10. Probably more i have forgotten now

Drove back 1500 miles in 2.5 days, incl through a lot of that bad weather system this week. I'm officially tired and ready for a few days of rest. Drove one of my old vehicles back that I had given to my sister a few years ago. Bailed her out of some credit card debt and took the SUV back, she does not need it anymore. I'll just add it to the fleet here, it can be the new/old dog hauler and have it available as a backup or loaner for folks visiting us here.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Odd medical incident while traveling
Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #454

Odd medical incident while traveling

Last year, Nemo2 told a remarkable story about an incident he experienced in Spain during his European trip. It was much on my mind lately, as I had an eerily similar experience recently in Norway.

Got on a cruise ship and settled in, then went to the dining room for a buffet dinner. A minute or two after sitting down to eat, I was struck by a severe stomachache and closed my eyes for a moment.

Next thing I knew, it was several minutes later and I was flat on my back on the dining room floor, surrounded by at least a dozen people, including the ship’s doctor. DW told me that I had started responding oddly and my speech was slurred to the point I was hardly intelligible. She had gotten up and removed the knife and fork from my hands, and the waiters had gently put me on the floor. I knew nothing about all this. To the best of my knowledge, it was the first time in my life I had ever blacked out like that.

I gradually came out of it, and got to my feet. Since it was going to be almost four hours until the ship sailed, they wanted me to go to an ER ashore to get checked out. The very last thing I wanted to do, but I recognized the wisdom of it.

We took a taxi to the ER and only had to wait about an hour or so to be seen. While waiting, I realized that since I was wearing my Apple watch, I had a record of my heart rate. Looked at it and saw that it had dropped extremely low at the time of my episode. Explained the whole thing to the doctor, with DW describing most of it.

The good doctor patiently listened to the story and kept smiling the whole time (because he knew there was nothing to worry about), then explained it to me nicely. He called it a vasovagal syncope, which is just a fancy word for fainting.

I hadn’t eaten since a light breakfast that day, and I had also let myself become dehydrated (confirmed because my urine was pretty dark when I finally went). When my stomach suddenly called for an increased blood supply to start the digestion process as I began to eat, there wasn’t enough available and the blood drained from my upper body, depriving the brain of its supply. Heart rate (and blood pressure) dropped for the same reason. All because I was dehydrated and the blood was thicker than normal.

The doc told me it was completely harmless and nothing to worry about, which was a huge relief to me. He said that putting me on the floor got me back to normal, and I would have recovered even faster if they had thought to elevate my legs. Thanked him profusely and went back to the ship.

Incidentally, the whole thing wasn’t even worth putting in a medical claim for. Two taxi rides of around $25 each, and the consultation at the ER was about $45.

All because I let myself get dehydrated over a long travel day. Stay thirsty, my friends.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Glad you're OK....odd about the slurring, because, although I had it temporarily, my speech was totally understandable the entire time.

I imagine the ship's doctor had an inkling of your situation, because although I was cognizant and fully mobile, they sent me to the hospital in an ambulance rather than a cab.

Dunno about "Stay thirsty" though......that's what got you into the predicament.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #456

Braumeister, glad you are ok. Thanks for sharing the story, I immediately went and refilled my water cup.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #457
Administrator

Brau, so glad to hear everything’s fine. Your DW is a smart gal.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Happy to hear that it wasn't serious, Brau. And that the doc didn't tell you to drink less beer.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #459

Thanks for the kind thoughts, folks. Ultimately, it was really a very minor thing, although it certainly got my attention.

Meanwhile, the trip (ten days in Norway) was delightful, and I got to check off one of my list items. We saw some wonderful Northern Lights displays two nights in a row. That's something I had always wanted to do. Even got some crappy pictures of it.

Nothing but good things to say about Norway, its people, and its food. Expensive, but well worth it.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Got groceries. On the way in from the parking lot there was a dog hanging out of a pickup truck that I admired from a distance. Then he jumped out the window to come great me. Nice dog , his owner was shocked but I was amused.

When I came home DW was dressed and ready to go to the gym. It's first time in a couple months. She did her 20 minute jog and was done. Normally we do weights afterwards but she was beat. She's had 4 pain free days now and it's a relief. Hopefully it continues.
Closed Thread