Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Argentine Tango class and practica last night in the Burgh, actually starting to enjoy the dance. Means: I have acquired a modicum of skill.
Got home today, then went figure skating. Had to do "dodge kiddies" exercises as there were about 20 3foot or so tall mini people emulating brownian motion.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I connected the receiver, DVR, DVD, and record player plus speakers and subwoofer at GF's new rental. Then helped her make about a gallon of meatballs...some we're taking to a potluck tomorrow, and the remainder for the freezer.

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #43

This morning I filled out amended federal income tax returns for 2015, 2016, and 2017. We had not claimed the self-employed health insurance deduction for those years. Thanks to AARP tax training this year (the Yale practice return for those of you following along) I learned that we can/could have used that deduction. I was feeling kind of stupid for missing it, until I saw our 2015 return that was done by a paid preparer who also forgot it.

We should get about $1000 total refunded. Not bad for a few hours of paperwork.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Got the flu - so the usual account and portfolio reconciliations will have to wait.

Managed to remember that it's garbage day tomorrow and wheeled out the bins.

Other than that I'm in my recliner most of the time. Waiting for the sore throat to appear so that I can mend it with some cognac.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
...Waiting for the sore throat to appear so that I can mend it with some cognac.
By that time, it is already late.

Better take a couple of ounces for preventive medicine.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh snow, still snowing. We're in the clouds and can't see much, absolutely love it.

Ran the snowblower once, not that much maybe 6". Supposed to snow till midnight. This takes my very unofficial back yard measurement to over 3' so far this season.

Walked the neighborhood and this time it was totally quite. Only two vehicles were out, one guy had his 3/4 ton 4x4 with chains on all 4! No idea where he's going but he should be able to get there.

Watched the refs trying to figure out what a touchdown is during the LAC game. Hopefully the Philly game is more exciting.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #47

Since it's Epiphany and officially the end of the Christmas season (unless you are Orthodox in which case it's just beginning), after church I started taking down our decorations. I'm pretty minimalist except for my trees, but it still takes a while. First took down the outdoor tree with its lights and the decorations handing from the light fixtures as well as the wreath. Packed all that away and decided to break down all of the shipping boxes that had piled up in the corner of the garage as gifts arrived. They will go to the neighborhood elementary school tomorrow per their request.

Then took down the two tabletop decorations and nativity scene from the living room as well as the card table we used for jigsaw puzzling. Now I'm taking a break and will shortly go watch the Eagles game while taking down the trees (I have lots of ornaments so it may go into the evening).

Dinner will be a Thai-inspired coconut milk soup with cod. Trying to get our diets back to normal after lots of extra yummy holiday food.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Stocked up at Costco on Whole30 shopping list foods (okay, stuff we usually buy anyway, but absent the noncompliant items). DH is going to miss his grains and beans and dairy for a month but we’ll see if eating “clean” makes us feel better. Starts tomorrow for us.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #49

Gym day, minor grocery run on the way home, read/write stuff here, renew the license registration for the pickup truck online.

For whatever reason they charge an extra dollar for online renewal, even though they don't have to pay for someone to open the envelope I would otherwise send, read all the documentation, handle the check for deposit, deal with the aftermath if the check were to bounce, and then finally put the new registration certificate in the mail and mail it to me. Well, they still have to do that last part anyway, but still it strikes me as silly.

Still, it's worth a buck to me to not have to gather all the paperwork, make a copy of the personal property tax receipt, bundle it all up and mail it with a check. Or worse, have to go to DMV in person.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #50

Help son in law with his car. His air duct cracked (after the air cleaner) and tape didn't hold at all. So today I tracked down the part and tonight we put it in after he got off work. No issues with the installation and it was good to help SIL out. He did after all marry my daughter so I try to keep him happy less she may have to come back to live with me .

The interesting this was the part. Dealer wanted $119 for it. I found it online for about $75-$80 but shipping was over $10 and up to $20 which certainly cut into the deal not to mention the time to have it shipped. Then, I started something interesting - places coming up with the name of "gm oem parts" or something like that. But some had a dealership name that was familiar to me. Called one I knew was close and sure enough, they were the seller behind the online name. I asked if they would match the online price if I came in and they said they couldn't BUT I could order it online and pick it up. So I did that. Taxes and all out the door for $83 instead of $119 plus tax. Go figure. Oh well, work the system, get the part at a discount, install in about 10 minutes, SIL is happy and that ends up being a good day in the life of a retiree.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Gym day, minor grocery run on the way home, read/write stuff here, renew the license registration for the pickup truck online.

For whatever reason they charge an extra dollar for online renewal, even though they don't have to pay for someone to open the envelope I would otherwise send, read all the documentation, handle the check for deposit, deal with the aftermath if the check were to bounce, and then finally put the new registration certificate in the mail and mail it to me. Well, they still have to do that last part anyway, but still it strikes me as silly.

Still, it's worth a buck to me to not have to gather all the paperwork, make a copy of the personal property tax receipt, bundle it all up and mail it with a check. Or worse, have to go to DMV in person.
I wonder if that $1 goes to the contractor who sets up the Web site for the DMV, and handles the money transfer with your bank.

When I use the Web to reserve a spot in a Federal or State campground, there's also a fee, and I think it goes to the guy who operates the Web site for them.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.........When I use the Web to reserve a spot in a Federal or State campground, there's also a fee, and I think it goes to the guy who operates the Web site for them.
I think so, too, and this must be a real money maker for them as just about everyone makes a reservation now that campgrounds are so heavily used.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from the Stroke Prevention Clinic. Complete review with an older, very experienced, doctor.

Bottom line - he doesn't think I had a TIA; it was an anomaly certainly, but his report will pretty much rule out a 'mini-stroke'.

Good start to the day.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #54

Excellent!
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Took DW to a walk in appointment at the clinic. She was given an antibiotic that she was supposed to be able to take, no sulfa or penicillin, but that's not true.

She says she's numb all over, dizzy, and I know she's very confused. These are the symptoms she gets several days into an antibiotic that's not right for her. Not sure why, but hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

We went to the gym today after not going for a long time, months or years.

I was all enthusiastic in the car on the way there, and saying I wanted to work out for an hour or two and reminiscing about how much fun we used to have there. But once at the gym, after 15-20 minutes, I was beat! I had to quit. He was ready to leave as well. Being old and out of shape is the pits, but eventually we will be able to do more for a longer time.

After we got home, I did a gigantic load of laundry in my oversized washer and dryer, and put it all away.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just got back from the Stroke Prevention Clinic. Complete review with an older, very experienced, doctor.

Bottom line - he doesn't think I had a TIA; it was an anomaly certainly, but his report will pretty much rule out a 'mini-stroke'.

Good start to the day.
That is great news!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #58

I got together with both guitarists in one of my bands and we fine tuned the arrangement of a few songs, then learned a few new ones for the next full band rehearsal.

I also put a battery tender on my parent's car so they can both use the heated seats as much as they want without worrying about draining the battery.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #59

DS is here between semesters. Next semester is his last!

It is a snowy day and DS was tending the wood stove this morning. The temperature was about up to normal and the stove started pouring smoke out the air intake. DS freaked out. I had him close the damper down some and everything started working fine again. The outside humidity reads 86% while the inside is 12%. I think the chimney gets inverted when it is not completely warmed up and it is damp outside. All is well in the house and it is a good day to sit by the fire and enjoy a snowy day and conversation with DS.

I will need to go into town and pick up the plow truck today or tomorrow. I broke the front hub (again) the last time it snowed and it is being replaced today. I will need to plow tomorrow when it quits snowing.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to a little fresh snow, maybe an inch. The forecast called for more flurries and around 30°, we decided to go to the springs on a foggy and cloudy, grey morning. It was a challenge walking through 1" of slush in my flip flops to go in.

They installed new plumbing and had temperature issues yesterday. The springs were better today but not perfect. Most were either 110°+, or 94°.

We found one spring around 98°, with some warmth coming in from the source, and hung out. It was pretty neat, clouds all around us and warm steam coming off the springs. Pretty soon you couldn't see 20' in any direction, it was an odd feeling. Then a gentle snow started falling all around us. Very quite all around. A little while later and it lightens up above us, a large patch of blue sky! I can't see in any direction except up. Some days you get lucky.