Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Over the last couple days I've reclaimed the garage from winter. Power washed the two bays and discovered the workbench had mostly collapsed. Moved about 1000 pounds, mostly lead, away from the bench and rebuilt the bench in place. I won't be moving the lead back, some will go on the elevated floor and some will be placed elsewhere. The entire garage will be gone through and the floor print reduced.

Today I went to a medical dispensary looking for 4/20 specials. Not much out of the ordinary, but I did pick up a concentrate type vape. Pretty cool, just screw in cannibis vials. No smell to them, just the effects.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I rebuilt my work bench in garage, and repainted a storage shed. They were in both sad shape.

I DIY'd a TV antenna. It's the ugliest thing I've ever made but works. It is hooked up to a TV in my garage so it is safe from DW.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #763
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I DIY'd a TV antenna. It's the ugliest thing I've ever made but works. It is hooked up to a TV in my garage so it is safe from DW.
The one that F made for me out of 2x4's and wire is really ugly too! I just tuck it behind the TV, sort of, and to the left of it, angled off into the corner of the room between the TV and a bookcase (see below). Then I pretend it isn't there. After taking the photo below, I put a fake plant on top of the bookcase which hides the upper part of the antenna to some extent. Also normally there is not this much light back in that corner. Anyway, luckily I am able to ignore it almost completely by now, so that works for me. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna_small.jpg (38.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The one that F made for me out of 2x4's and wire is really ugly too! I just tuck it behind the TV, sort of, and to the left of it, angled off into the corner of the room between the TV and a bookcase (see below). Then I pretend it isn't there. After taking the photo below, I put a fake plant on top of the bookcase which hides the upper part of the antenna to some extent. Also normally there is not this much light back in that corner. Anyway, luckily I am able to ignore it almost completely by now, so that works for me. See below.

LOL. Mine is just like yours but I have a lazy suzan at the bottom so I can turn it to different direction with STYLE. Hey, I didn't spare any effort.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #765
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
LOL. Mine is just like yours but I have a lazy suzan at the bottom so I can turn it to different direction with STYLE. Hey, I didn't spare any effort.
Pretty cool!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #766
Administrator

Just back from church. Still a little hoarse after belting out the Hallelujah Chorus (and various and sundry other music) for two services. Currently have a beef brisket out in the smoker. It's just the young wife and me for Easter dinner this year. First time in 30 years that we haven't gone to New Jersey.

In addition to smoked brisket, we're having deviled eggs, the season's first asparagus from our garden, potato salad and carrot cake for dessert. And a nice bottle of Rioja Reserva 2011.

Best wishes to all.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #767

Went to church earlier today. Out of consideration for all present, I keep my singing soft.

DH is finalizing dinner which includes a turkey, roast beef and lasagna.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Went to church earlier today. Out of consideration for all present, I keep my singing soft.

Drove to Los Angeles yesterdy to look in on DM who is living in an assisted living place. Took DM to her church for Sunday service today. I waited the service to end in the church parking lot (I am not a Christian). Then, drove back to Bay Area. A long day.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #769
Give me a forum ...

^^ Is that not about 750 mi. round trip?

I drove about 280km (175 mi) from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela today, and that was enough. Relaxing now at an Airbnb, before thinking about what to do for dinner.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #770
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
This morning's walk (3.03 mi) was average pace of 16:52 minutes/mile. One of my best ever.

About noon, got a phone call from the water utility. They had read the meter and told us we have a leak or a toilet running or something. He went out and checked and it was the automatic plant watering system.
The sun and the salt water down here tend to destroy plastic.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #771

Yesterday was a big family gathering at DW's niece's house and we had a good time there. DW had found some cool wooden toys at a hobby store for the two boys, ages 3 and 6, that had to be put together (with parental help/supervision) and painted.

Today was a gym day for me, DW didn't go because of the vertigo issue she's been having (ENT Dr. appointment in a couple of days) then work on wire brushing the front porch railings down to bare metal and painting. Weather permitting, and the forecast looks promising, I'll be able to finish this project tomorrow.

Note to self: When using a wire brush wheel in a drill, do not place the other hand where the wheel will bounce to if it "catches" on a corner of the railing. "Ouch", some naughty words, and minor bleeding followed. That years-old Rustoleum paint is tough stuff, my skin, not so much.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #772
Moderator Emeritus

Got Shingrex shot No. 2 today (5 months since No. 1 shot). I'm good going forward, I hope.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #773
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Note to self: When using a wire brush wheel in a drill, do not place the other hand where the wheel will bounce to if it "catches" on a corner of the railing. "Ouch", some naughty words, and minor bleeding followed. That years-old Rustoleum paint is tough stuff, my skin, not so much.
It is a well known fact that a few choice expletives can stop bleeding from wire-brush abrasions. That's how I deal with the skipping brush problem.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #774
Give me a forum ...

Spring cleaning the entire house doing windows, curtains, etc. Just doing one room a day as I cannot be overworked)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #775
Moderator Emeritus

Made a couple of barn doors.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #776
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to rain and chose to change our plans. Went to the gym for the first time in three long weeks. Our bronchitis is finally about gone and it's time to get going. Afterwards we went out to a Mexican brunch.

DW asked if I'd make some homemade cannibis edibles so I squished a quarter and used that puck with another quarter puck from last week. They're now decarbed, soaked, strained, and evaporating. Should be very potent. Not sure what I'll make out of the cannabis laced alcohol but it's pretty easy to make almost anything from here.

I received an EOB from my friends at Anthem. I guess after several hours of my time they're going to pay for my cystoscopy done "out of network" in a another state. There's no providers in network who do those in our coverage area. They're covering it at 100% too. I'm sure how you decide if someone who is out of network because of a boundary gets paid at 100% but I don't care. I wasted several hours of intense anxiety over these clowns last week. I'd love to send them some cannibis laced alcohol, they're probably immune. [emoji12]
Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #777

Finished wire-brushing and painting the last of the front porch railing, this time without injury.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #778
Give me a forum ...

Zilch, Nada! Contemplated my navel. Not looking forward to painting the Laundry Room.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #779

Beeyootiful day here! Applied weed and feed in the morning (a bit late, oh well), DW was out so I ate lunch at the Indian place, visited a new local coffee shop (the owner recognized me from a brewery tasting room he worked at), then I walked a couple of miles on the Greenway. Afternoon at home coming up with an IPA recipe for an upcoming beer competition. Also drinking the last recipe for inspiration.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It is a well known fact that a few choice expletives can stop bleeding from wire-brush abrasions. That's how I deal with the skipping brush problem.

That’s pretty much how I deal with everything...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread