Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 AM   #781
Recycles dryer sheets

Watched the Vegas Golden Knights loose Round 1 to the San Jose Sharks. Bummer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #782
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a storage room that just contains things to get rid of. Yesterday I went up there intending to cull some more things for the trash or Freecycle, and value the rest for eBay. This is how far I got - first item was an Apple Newton. Decided to try and revive it. So I put some batteries in it, hit reset, and damn if it didn't start up. Spent the rest of the afternoon playing with it and being awed at the state of handwriting recognition and shape recognition even then. Listed it on eBay.

There's a pretty high percentage of vintage electronics in that room. Afraid to go up there again. I'm going to try to clean the garage instead. No distractions.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If one has enough vintage electronics that still works, it may be good for a personal museum.

I am now in Porto, Portugal. It was raining all the way, on my drive from Santiago, Spain. Yesterday, we were plodding through the historical center of Santiago, huddling under an umbrella to tour the cathedral and the surrounding.

In the afternoon when the rain stopped, there were quite a few pilgrims showing up in front of the cathedral to take photos of themselves. We did too, although we only walked 0.5 miles from a nearby parking lot.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #784
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked out
Passed my every-6-month onco exam
Checked out DH's new electric lawn mower
Took new bicycle out for another test-spin
Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #785

DS paid us a surprise visit yesterday - he was on a road trip with some buddies and they had planned to get back into town here just in time for his flight back to Atlanta today but they drove through the night and got in yesterday morning. Had a nice visit and then drove him to the bus stop this morning as I didn't have time to drive him to the airport, as DH had an early doctor appointment in the other direction.

Had just enough time to do the weekly grocery shopping before taking DH to another appointment. Then went to the gym - I joined 3 weeks ago and am pleased I've made it 3 times per week so far. Exited to a fierce downpour - it's been raining off and on all day. So far about 2" but the severe thunderstorms could last another few hours. Definitely won't need to run the sprinklers for another week!

Soon will pour a well-earned glass of wine and start dinner - spaghetti with clam sauce, one of our favorites.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #786
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
....This is how far I got - first item was an Apple Newton. ....
I had a couple different Newtons over the years... it was a great first start. Then went to the Palm Pilot that had that crazy strokes that you had to learn for each letter and capitalizing, spacing, etc. Remember that?

I am floored by how good Android voice recognition is these days.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #787
Give me a forum ...

Read the thread on I Bonds and it reminded me to check my EE bonds. I found about $600 in bonds that had matured, so I'll cash them in. It feels like found money. Back in the 80's, MegaMotors used to intimidate us into investing in bonds so I put a minimal amount into them over a decade or so.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #788
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If one has enough vintage electronics that still works, it may be good for a personal museum.
Um yeah. It's not exactly triggering a bidding war. But I'll try anything for the minimum pay I want to pack it up. If it doesn't sell - donation.

Yesterday it was cold again so no garage. Went back to the electronics temptation room. Unearthed an Atari Portfolio (1989) and a Timex Sinclair 1000 (1981). It has become an archaeological dig through the strata. Both of these ARE in a Computer Museum in Maryland.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #789
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I happen to still have a Timex Sinclair somewhere in the house.

Yesterday was a wet, cold, and rainy day when we wandered through Porto on foot, and crossed the famed Luis I bridge 4 times, twice on foot, and twice on a metro.

Today, the weather was just perfect. We hung out along the coast. Met a few French pilgrims who walked the Camino route from Porto to Santiago.

Tomorrow, we will head up the Douro River to Pinhao.

PS. Portuguese people are very friendly and polite towards tourists. They also seem to know English better than the Spanish or French. We have a wonderful experience so far.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #790
Give me a forum ...

Packing up clothes in a backpack for a trip. This is taking some time...
Old 04-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #791
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
Worked out
Passed my every-6-month onco exam
Checked out DH's new electric lawn mower
Took new bicycle out for another test-spin
Excellent!

I passed my 6-month last week as well.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #792
Give me a forum ...

I've decided to get rid of some excess musical gear. I have 4 bass amps, plus a bass cabinet (speakers only). They are taking up a lot of space and I really only need one amp, plus a backup.

I made a deal to sell one of them to the guitarist in one of my bands last night (along with an old guitar), and just sold another one to a drummer friend earlier today. I've listed the other amp and the cabinet leaving me with just my main amp when they sell.

Technology is great and big sound comes in small packages these days. My main amp is a 16" cube that weighs 26 pounds that puts out 300 watts (500 watts if I add a extension cabinet). For backup, I'll be buying a mini amp about the size of a paperback book that can plug into the speakers of my main amp in an emergency. It puts out 200 watts and is the size of a paperback book weighing just 2 pounds.

For comparison, ..the amp I sold last night was a behemoth about the size of a washing machine that weighed 98 pounds. It was cutting edge technology in the 70's!!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #793
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching it snow while my neighbors lawn is getting mowed.
First world dog fight
Old 04-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #794
Administrator

First world dog fight

Just when you think you’ve seen it all. There’s a Nespresso store (inside another store) in a nearby mall and I stopped by to pick up some coffee (sale was in store only). While waiting in line I saw something common in south Florida, a couple with a dog in a baby stroller. This time, though, another couple, also with dog in stroller, approached from the opposite direction. When the strollers passed, the dogs began fighting. Both were little dogs, so they made a tremendous amount of noise,. They stayed in their respective strollers, but still made contact.

The owners separated them, one couple walked away, only to stop, turn around and walk back past the exact same spot, where (surprisingly) the dogs began fighting again.

Two small dogs in strollers inside a fancy store, fighting, and going two rounds. If I were quicker in the draw I’d have filmed it for a YouTube upload.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #795
Administrator

It's a mad, mad world.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #796
Moderator Emeritus

Watching heavy wet snow fall and stick for three hours. This winter truly sucks.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Woke up at 3:00 AM needing to urinate,only I couldn't. Thanks to Imoldernu's post I knew this was serious. After lunch stopped at the friendly neighborhood ER and had a Foley catheter installed. Lots of fun. They even gave me a script for some tramadol for pain. Sitting outside Walmart while DW gets the script trying to wet my pants. Strange sensation. Perhaps the tramadol they gave me in er is kicking in.

I'll be calling my insurance company and urologist Monday and let them know that ignoring my BPH isn't working! I was scheduled for surgery next week but the insurance company has nixed it as not medically necessary! I guess if I make weekly ER visits they might get the idea.

ETA: Foley catheters can and do leak! Before you sit around enjoying wetting your pants beware.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #798
Moderator Emeritus

MRG, I hope the Tramadol helps and that your insurance company comes to its senses! Sounds miserable and painful, ugh, no fun at all.

BestWifeEver, I was shocked to read that you had snow there. It's almost May! I didn't realize it would snow in your part of the country this late in the year. Brrr. But never fear, summer is on its way. I know because it is 80F outside down here right now.

MichaelB, even one dog in a baby stroller is insane, much less two, and fighting at that!

When I first retired I used to go to a big box store every day to walk, for exercise. That was pretty healthy, so why did I stop? I have no clue. Anyway today I thought I might start walking through stores for exercise again, so after our lunch I dropped him off and went to the grocery store to walk around. I walked all around that large supermarket briskly so I didn't actually shop much, but did end up buying shrimp, eggs, cheese, and "lite-n-fit" yogurt. Hoping to rev up my metabolism for when I get back to dieting. Still maintaining more than 50 pounds of weight loss from last year, but it wouldn't kill me to get around to losing some more eventually.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #799
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Watching heavy wet snow fall and stick for three hours. This winter truly sucks.
Huh?

Miz Feever, I'm hoping you can do something about that weather, cuz not long now 'til we're headed up toward those northern parts for our seasonal relocation.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #800
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the day smoking a brisket outside in a rainy 38 degrees with 16 mph winds. Took a while longer because the smoker was cooled by the rain. Good thing we don't live up by Feever where I'd have to clear a path to the smoker.
Closed Thread