What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been spending money for two days. We’ve been living at the mountain house, where there is not much retail available and my wardrobe consists of river gear, workout gear, or swimsuits.

I came back to the “city” house for a few days for appointments and errands. Looking in this closet, I realized my summer wardrobe needs to be replaced. So I went clothes shopping yesterday.

Then today I ran errands (in my new clothes). Home Depot, Joann Fabrics, and Costco all got a piece of this month’s pension check.

Went to PT, a good time was had by all. My therapist explained that Anthem has shorted me two of my allowed visits for the year by making the prior authorizations short. Since I was allowed 7 visits from the prior authorization but could only attend 5 because of scheduling two visits are gone. Nice trick, should be illegal.

I picked up 10 bags of mulch and applied it over much of the garden, I'll pick up another 6 bags tomorrow. After that DW and I walked a couple miles. My hand and arm are officially "lit up" now. Time for a hydrocodone.

Had a dental checkup yesterday. Dentists asks " Are you having any pain?" Yes I said - my knees hurt after I run. Dentist says " Have you tried hiking instead?" So I'm cutting out running and increasing hiking on the advice of my dentist. Today went for a few hour hike looking for bison. Met with the gutter guy. Put some paint on a photo frame.

Last edited:
Today is the 4th anniversary of the day when I bought my Dream Home! Closing was on 6/26/2015, and moving day was 7/1/2015.

Life has been pretty good to me. :)

Congratulations!! I bought my house 20 years ago, and every August I celebrate my "house-aversary." :D

Reactions: W2R
I remember random incidences or scenery, but very poorly at dates. I can barely remember my own birth date, my wife's, and my children's. The year I moved into my home, yes. Maybe. Month? No.

Put the A/C units in the windows as soon as I got up and had my coffee. It has been in the high 80s today, so it was time.

Went out to the garden for a couple hours. Did a little shopping, then came home and made a lunch salad with the beets and lettuce we harvested (plus blue cheese crumbles and roasted pecans). Dinner was grilled chicken, our fresh peas and piccolo farro. The young wife is currently making rhubarb sherbet.

Blanched and froze 3 batches of yellow crookneck squash - small, medium and large chunks/slices. Large for grilling, medium for casseroles and small for pureeing (soup).

Now to figure out how to tell our sweet and generous neighbors we have all we need this year thanks! :)

(The joke you have all heard is: "I went into town today and left a bag of squash on my hood for someone to take while I went to the post office. When I returned, there were 2 bags of squash....)

(The joke you have all heard is: "I went into town today and left a bag of squash on my hood for someone to take while I went to the post office. When I returned, there were 2 bags of squash....)

When I lived on an island off Vancouver Island a lady a couple doors over said "You know someone has no friends if they're in the supermarket buying zucchinis".

Our anniversary today.....checked yesterday's urine test results online....Leukocytes way high....infection's back.

This indicates that my Scope, Two Kidney Blastings, a week in hospital with sepsis, antibiotics by the gallon, were all for naught.

Right back where I was 2 1/2 months ago, and all (except perhaps the still pending prostate biopsy), my options are disappearing.

Happy Anniversary, eh.

Sorry to hear that, Nemo2.
Any chance you could get a new opinion on treatment from another doc?

Sorry to hear that, Nemo2.
Any chance you could get a new opinion on treatment from another doc?

Our GP has a number of associates....pretty much seen 'em all.....plus a number of doctors at the hospital ER.

This is Canada.......I'm 'lucky' enough to have another appointment with the urologist on July 10.

Nemo , This may sound a little crazy but when I was so sick last year I started listening to this curing tape and I also wrote positive thoughts to help cure me . I 'm not sure if it worked but it helped me get out of the "Woe is me stage "

Further to......since the online urine report wasn't complete this a.m. DW called the GP's office, to be told that "They were there all day today" (Monday is a public holiday here) and that they would receive the report today and get back to us.

DW called at 2:30 (a few minutes ago)....they're closed.

DW & I were talking about my second ambulance visit to Emergency (actually she was telling me about it since I was non compos mentis at the time).......I had been seen and sent home a day earlier, but returned when things became progressively worse.

They stuck me in a wheelchair with blankets around me....and I sat there shivering and shaking for 5 hours before being attended to......(if one of the male nurses hadn't seen me, recognized the symptoms of sepsis, and ensured that I was seen....I'd likely be there yet).

So...I have to laugh about people being concerned about gettuing sick in Europe.

Last edited:
Nemo , This may sound a little crazy but when I was so sick last year I started listening to this curing tape and I also wrote positive thoughts to help cure me . I 'm not sure if it worked but it helped me get out of the "Woe is me stage "

Thing is...I was never in the "Woe is me stage "...I was working on trying to get back to what I was used to doing.

(I was reading one report from a doctor which indicated that "I was working with the hospital's physio 'team' for a rehabilitation program (or somesuch)"........in actuality I informed them that I was a self starter and that they could take a hike.)

Oh...one thing I learned about sepsis.....it apparently kills more people a year than AIDS/Breast Cancer/Prostate Cancer combined.....and if it doesn't kill you the first time there's a high chance it'll come back and try again.

Last edited:
Nemo, sorry to hear about the lasted data. I can't give you any meaningful advice, but we are hoping and praying you get past this. :(

On a much smaller note, I picked up a head cold yesterday and feel like crap today, plus I probably got only a couple of hours sleep last night. I tried to sweat it out a while ago with an hour's long walk in this blasting heat and humidity.

Thing is...I was never in the "Woe is me stage "...I was working on trying to get back to what I was used to doing.

in.

I know you were not in it but I sure was .Anyway regular things are not working .Why not try other options including supplements ? I even tried Tumeric tea . It is pretty awful but with honey it is okay .

Our anniversary today.....checked yesterday's urine test results online....Leukocytes way high....infection's back...

Sorry to hear that. I hope things will be better for you soon.

I do not recall if you said what bacteria was found to cause this infection, and what drugs were given.

I do not recall if you said what bacteria was found to cause this infection, and what drugs were given.

I called the bacteria "George" for want of a better name.....DW said they were never able to identify it.

Drugs......high doses of every antibiotic known to mankind.......(I might have said here, but if not I've told other people, that I had so much in me that I could walk through a Leper Colony and cure half the inhabitants by osmosis.)

That's not cool.

My son contracted an infection in his liver, a few years ago when he was 24. He had high fever, and had abdomen pain for nearly a week before it was properly diagnosed. The ER sent him home with medicine for flu at the 1st visit, then urinary tract infection for the 2nd visit.

It was only when he was in worse pain and had seizure that the GP made the correct diagnosis and called an ambulance to take him directly to the hospital. They installed a drain tube to empty the cyst in his liver of pus, and gave him a cocktail of antibiotics while waiting for the result of the bacteria culture.

His condition improved immediately, and progressed rapidly once they knew the bacteria, and administered the more narrowly targeting drug. I wrote the info down somewhere, but might have lost it. I remembered looking it up, and that infection was common among elderly people but very rare among youngsters, hence the initial misdiagnosis.

PS. The doctors never knew how the bacteria entered his liver. My son had a bad skin rash from a skateboarding fall, and we thought that could have been it, but the doctor said it might not be.

Last edited:
and gave him a cocktail of antibiotics while waiting for the result of the bacteria culture.

I was out of it most of the time.....but DW tells me that, on a shift change, the incoming nurse asked the one going home what I was hooked into.

When told, she said "Oh, poor guy".

We've done a great deal of reading about sepsis, and it seems to be one's body turning on itself.

If all I get is what I've had, I've gotten off light.

https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Senior-Health/recovery-from-sepsis---head-pain--fatigue/show/945376

Here's one comment:

I recently was discharged from the hospital after 8 days in the ICU. I am a 31 yr old female, normally very active, athletically fit, and could previously do pretty much anything I put my mind too. I had initially went into the ER with severe abdominal pain on October 6,14. At that time I was rushed into emergency surgery after a ct/scan showed 3 cysts on my left ovary and one of them was leaking fluid into my uterine cavity.

During my laproscopic cystectomy, the Dr.'s also removed my appendix and realized I had severe stage 4 endometriosis. I spent 4 days in the hospital following and went home.

I slowly started to develop a slight fever about 5 days later, which was climbing more and more each day. I spoke with my Dr. over the phone, and she advised me to come in only if the fever was accompanied by pain, nausea, or vomiting. Within a few days it escalated to the a fever of 103.5°, the worst chills in my life, severe leg and foot cramping (charlie horses) followed by profuse sweating, speach impairment, disillusion, and blurred vision.

I was brought back into the ER on October 17, 2014 going into septic shock. I could not speak, walk, stand, or move on my own. My blood pressure was so low, they could not give me anything for the pain except tylenol. They ended up inserting a catheter I.V. into my neck, in order to pump Nor Epinephrine straight to my heart so I wouldn't die.

I remember several nurses telling me that night that, I was the sickest person in the ENTIRE hospital. (That was an eye opener of what was yet to come) The next eight days in the ICU, where the ABSOLUTE WORST days of my life! I can't remember how many times I woke up screaming for them to just let me die.

Apparently, I developed an infection as a complication from my first surgery, which led to an 11cm absess forming in my abdomen, which now had to be drained. They surgically implanted a drain tube from my belly, that emptied into a little plastic squeeze bottle that was saftey pinned to my hospital gown. I had no idea during this time, why or how sick I was, or that I was even diagnosed with Sepsis. All I was told, is that I had an infection and was very ill.

I was sent home with oral antibiotics for 10 days. 2 pills 2x's a day. Even though they were making me sick to my stomach each day, I finally took the last of them yesterday. I stopped taking all pain pills almost immediately after coming home because they told me, more than likely it was only adding to the irritation of the antibiotics making me feel sick.

Some days are worse than others, and it feels almost as if I had more energy in the first few days returning home, than I do now. Even though the antibiotics said to avoid direct sunlight, I have found the sunlight to be one of the best healers for me physically and mentally. I have gone out on 2 bike rides, which I over did it a little on both but it felt good to regain some strength back even if it only lasted a few hours. I feel the cognitive decline in my everday interactions with people and family, and its so very frustrating. My words just are there like they used to be, my spelling is also off now, and my arithmetic is not something I even want to engage in after all this. I hope these are not long term effects but only time will tell, as Im learning a whole new meaning of "PATIENCE!" I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy but can honestly say, for me it was a blessing in disguise. It has forced me to completely turn my life around, change directions onto a better path, have a new appreciation for life, and ultimately it has forced me to stop smoking cigarettes after 15yrs, which to me is a huge achievement, I wouldn't have done... Had I not gone through this terrible time.

Just remember, THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, it just takes very small baby steps and an extreme amount of patience to get there. If your still here and reading this, then obviously it was not your time to depart this earth and like me, we survived! Keep your head up, roll with the punches and it will get easier.... In time ; )

Muhammad Ali, Patty Duke and Jim Henson died of sepsis.

Oh man! All this reminds me of my time dealing with my severe illness (which I actually never forget).

Once you've been through a really serious health scare, you are happy just to be normal and not in pain.

You don't yearn to "blow any dough" or desire any materialistic thing.

Nemo2 best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Sucks when the doctors are scratching their heads.

I went to PT, today was my last approved appointment. An older gentleman was there who was really struggling with his new prosthetic leg. Guy never stopped smiling and chatting with everyone.

I was happy to tell my therapist that my numbness is improving some. My left side of my left arm was numb almost to the elbow a few weeks ago; today it's only numb a little past the wrist. He tested my grip and range of motion, they're improving too. I still have a lot of work to "well".

I came home, after fighting tourists in the grocery store, DW was happy to hear I was still feeling OK. She quickly said there are seven more bags of mulch to spread out. I agreed to do three, she was going to do the last four herself. Last year her legs developed myositis from playing with mulch so I became ready to do those bags. A smarter guy would have come inside, I hurt.

Oh man! All this reminds me of my time dealing with my severe illness (which I actually never forget).

Once you've been through a really serious health scare, you are happy just to be normal and not in pain.

One of the nights in hospital was the worst I've experienced in my life.

The following morning I told our GP's associate that if I'd had a gun I would have shot myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom