Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #1081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Started working in the backyard at 8AM to build a horizontal 4'x8' trellis for my wife's new passion fruit vine. It started to bloom, and she got excited. She got up early for a change to help me. Got it nearly done, but called it a day to resume tomorrow, because it got to 100F pretty quick under the SW sun.

Jumped in the pool to cool off. I can't remember the last time I got in the pool. Had to be before I got the bad illness that could have done me in, and that was in 2012. It disrupted my routine, and I never got back to it. All the electricity, water, and chemicals these years for nothin'.

Having a light lunch now with some green olives, bread, cheese, prosciutto. Checking my stocks. The broker discovered his mistakes overnight, and removed the 5,000 shares of that stock that fell on my lap.

PS. I normally do not drink booze at lunch, but feel good today so just pour myself a glass of white wine. Put some crushed ice in it too, for more fluid intake.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #1082
Full time employment: Posting here.

Day 3, Nothing.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #1083
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Day 3, Nothing.
Glorious, isn't it.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #1084
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stuff needs to be done but I find myself saying "I'll do it tomorrow". Still adjusting.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #1085
Give me a forum ...

Having watched Youtube, polished the headlights on the Vibe. Note: Yes, you do have to sand them. If you can get someone to do it for $50 to $100, let them do it.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #1086

Yesterday afternoon I sanded and put primer on the door frames for the back basement door and the shed. This morning I painted them, they needed it. Now my back hurts and I'm done for the day.

It seems that if any task involves any amount of bending over I'm only good for 30 to 60 minutes and then I have to quit. Good thing I don't have to think about going to work!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #1087
Give me a forum ...

We went to the springs today. It's located on the banks of the flooding San Juan river. The signs, first photo, are really are telling of the amount of water. I think they quit giving out predictions of the crest.

We normally go up higher on the bank, today we went in a pool right on the new riverbank. It's pretty weird watching the flood coming at you with only a few inches of rock and concrete keeping you from being washed away.

Afterwards we went to a brewery on the river, more flooding. We discussed staying for the afternoon, drinking beer, but decided that 60 yo don't do that. I also heard a ranch that borders the third photo was sold after twenty years on the market. Apparently a couple stayed on the river for a couple hours(drinking beer?) and decided to buy the place. I have no idea what the ask was on the property, but it was a larger tract(30+ acres) on the river, probably a multiple million dollar transaction.20190612_111342.jpeg20190612_111527.jpeg20190612_112857.jpeg
Old 06-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #1088
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

MRG, very familiar with the area in your photos (DW's parents once owned a cabin on the Piedra river near Chimney Rock) and have never seen the river that high. But then we are usually visiting in the Fall, so very little rain or snow melt that time of year. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #1089
Administrator

I did this today

Ruger Mini-14, 5.56x45 mm, 100yds, iron sights, 10 round magazine.

It was a beautiful day and there were only a few shooters at the range (everyone else was working). Still a little cranky about the one flyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (613.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #1090
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Attending to last minute details before we head to airport to fly to Scotland overnight. Dog boarded, plants watered, water turned off. We'll take a Lyft to the airport and save on both parking fees and hassle.
I love Bonnie Scotland. Bon voyage.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #1091
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Stuff needs to be done but I find myself saying "I'll do it tomorrow". Still adjusting.
That phase of my retirement took a while to pass. I puttered around a bit but never really got to the projects I had been putting off until 4 or 5 weeks had gone by.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #1092
Give me a forum ...

We've been having a heat wave, which, for here, means it got above 70º. So we went swimming in Big Lagoon. It's usually too cold, but today, even Lena went in.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #1093
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Uh, that water does not look deep enough for diving.

Oh, I guess for belly flopping, it's safe. But it would hurt too much for me to try.

Speaking of temperature, it hit 112F yesterday. The minisplit was cranking all day, and kept the downstairs living space at a respectable 78F. At 10PM, the lithium battery ran out of juice.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I did this today

Ruger Mini-14, 5.56x45 mm, 100yds, iron sights, 10 round magazine.

It was a beautiful day and there were only a few shooters at the range (everyone else was working). Still a little cranky about the one flyer.
At 100 yds, I'd be pretty happy with that score.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #1095
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At 100 yds, I'd be pretty happy with that score.
+1

Even with my new eyes I doubt I could do it with iron. 20190613_113014.jpeg We walked as far as we could on the river, they closed the walkway. Watched folks having fun.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #1096
Give me a forum ...

I had to look up Piedra River and Chimney Rock. Some years ago, we spent a week at a timeshare in Pagosa Springs, and took the Durango train to Silverton. We drove by the area quite a few times but did not stop to visit.

What did you do today? 2019 version.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #1097
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? 2019 version.

Had some perennial hibiscus plants die after a hard winter. At least I thought they had died around May 15th when they hadn’t sprouted. So I dug them out and threw them on the burn pile. Found them today with about 2’ of new growth sitting on the burn pile. So I planted them again. Also, finishing a free standing cabinet for the powder room, cleaned my workshop, and took the new ASICS running shoes for a 2 mile test run.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #1098
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW & I went for an easy bike ride around the neighborhood. Quite windy, but comfortably warm, barely 80 F. During our 6 month winter, I was quite jealous of you folks down south boasting of sun and 60-80 degree weather for days on end. Now, it's actually nice here, finally, and I don't envy the 100+ temps. and/or high humidity.

Got my new mobile phone and am waiting, and waiting, and waiting to get my old phone number ported out from one of the big 4 carriers into one of the little guys. Trying my number first, DW maybe later in the year. Won't save any money until be both switch, but I got decent deal on a new phone.

I avoiding dealing with such headaches when w*rking, I just threw money at it. Now, I bought my own cable modem/router and am now chasing lower cost cell service. My new j*b
Old 06-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #1099
Give me a forum ...

Bathroom reno continues...found some beautiful 12"x18" Carrera marble tiles on clearance for $2 sq ft. I need 56 and they were 15 to a box so I bought 5 boxes (75) to give me a very healthy buffer and to also allow me to pick and choose from a greater selection. All in for $168 after tax.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #1100

Gym day for us, then a minor grocery run followed by a brief stop at Lowes for a piece for one of the downspouts.

At the grocery store, the weirdest thing happened. While I was cruising by a crossing aisle and DW went to get some coffee, a large bag of peanut M&M's flew off the shelf by itself and landed in the grocery cart, snuggling in underneath a package of Kleenex!

You say you don't believe that? Yeah, my wife didn't believe it either when we got to the checkout....