Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cold and windy here today (30's in the morning and 40's during the day). Walked the dog a few times. Got another inch of rain too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a nice hike and drive in the country. Good to get out of the metro area for the whole day at least once a week.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I flew an Angel Flight, taking a 7 year old boy and his mom to their appointment. The weather was absolutely beautiful for the flight.
We had a little confusion on the pickup, as she got off the bus too soon, and did not have bus fare to get to our pickup placs. An employee at Atlantic Aviation took us in the crew car to meet her and take her back to the airport so we could fly her and her son.
I asked her how she would get back home after she was flown back, and she said she did not know. I gave her some money for bus fare so she and her son could get home after her return flight.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #124

I spent yesterday monitoring rainwater levels pooling on the ground around my house. I get all the roof water from both my roof and my neighbor's roof, since it's a townhome. When I first moved in, there wasn't a problem, but over the years, the ground must have sunken around the house and I'm getting water pooling here and there, most worryingly around my heat pump, even rising up into the inner workings, like coils and fins. I've spent the last few months incrementally adding extensions to the 2 downspouts I have, and then waiting for rainfall, to see the effect. Knock on wood, it seems I have finally gotten the water to stay away from the heat pump! Yay! I have about 15 feet of extensions in the back yard, and the water forms its own little pond there and harmlessly (I hope) drains into the ground slowly. In the front, I have about 8 feet of extension, and the water now flows into a spot in the front yard that apparently drains it toward the end of my driveway where disappears into who-knows-where, must be going under the sidewalk. Hopefully not a future problem! I want to get the water to flow out the driveway apron and into the street, but that doesn't happen. It just soaks into the ground near the apron, in 2 pools. I'd have to add a ten foot plastic pipe to the current setup, plop the end of the pipe onto the apron, and hook it up just for heavy rainfall, maybe. A very satisfying day, seeing the lack of water pooling around the heat pump! Really cheered me up. Self-sufficiency and all that good stuff.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #125

Built a branding iron last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-01-23 08.51.03.jpg (534.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-01-23 08.51.17.jpg (509.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-01-23 08.51.27.jpg (423.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not today, but yesterday......bit my tongue.

Overheard a lady ask another lady "What's a pagoda?" Second lady replied, very authoritatively, "It's a boat on a canal".

Kept my mouth shut, (which is difficult for me), and did not chime in with "A pagoda is a tower/temple, and a gondola is on a canal".

Quite proud of myself for showing such restraint.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #127

Did this occur in a rotunda ?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Did this occur in a rotunda ?
While doing the Rhumba in the tundra?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
While doing the Rhumba in the tundra?
I've seen that !!!!!!!!!

Spoiler: Ali beats Foreman

Old 01-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I worked on a carving that I started a month ago. Got some work left but close to being done. It was a snow day, bad road day so, I stayed home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1545.jpg (95.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I worked on a carving that I started a month ago.
Great!!

Old 01-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #132
gone traveling

Not retired yet, so Saturday is catch up time. I mounted a snow deflector on my mailbox, brought up two LARGE front end loader fulls of firewood (for next week's sub zero temps), burnt a weeks worth of burnable trash in the burn barrel, dumped 2 buckets of stove ash, helped my daughter mount insulation in her crawl space, and finally fixing dinner for the DW and I.

BTW, my wife was under my daughter's crawl space most of the day, while I did things at home....just another busy day in our life.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Went to my condo's annual HOA meeting this morning. A 3 hour bitch session. I feel for the one's serving on the board. A thankless job with no pay. Rode my bike this afternoon. A little cool but got a good workout.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #134

Quote:
I worked on a carving that I started a month ago. Got some work left but close to being done. It was a snow day, bad road day so, I stayed home.
Beautiful!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

WOW!!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very Nice! Is that cottonwood like your others?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it is Ronstar. You never know what kind of color they come out at, even using the same kind of wood after applying oil. This one was really dark in the middle. All other color I use is all natural (bark, different colors of soil, berry, coal etc..
Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Picked up my new MacBook. Of course, it has the new USB-c. And it doesn't have an sd card reader. So I had to buy a USB-c to sd card reader adapter. And my external drive has the old standard USB cable. Had to go to a second Apple store to get a USB-c cable to connect the external drive. Doing a fresh install of my programs instead of time machine backup - just to be cleaner.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, it is Ronstar. You never know what kind of color they come out at, even using the same kind of wood after applying oil. This one was really dark in the middle. All other color I use is all natural (bark, different colors of soil, berry, coal etc..
Your carvings are top notch. And cottonwood is tough to work with - at least for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ron, I sure would love to see some of your carvings. I bet they are great.
Closed Thread