Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #1401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I did some yard work for an hour this morning. I was getting hot and started to feel wobbly.

Thought about jumping in the pool, but remembered the people who died recently in France when jumping into cold water. So, went inside to slowly cool down while surfin' the Web.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #1402
Gone but not forgotten

I have developed a rare disease . It is not dementia as I can remember everything including every time the So left the toilet seat up . My disease is I can no longer reasonably park my car . I park it and then look at my parking and it is bizarre . Today at the Dentist I straddled two parking spaces .Does anybody have a clue what this is and what is the cure ?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have developed a rare disease . It is not dementia as I can remember everything including every time the So left the toilet seat up . My disease is I can no longer reasonably park my car . I park it and then look at my parking and it is bizarre . Today at the Dentist I straddled two parking spaces .Does anybody have a clue what this is and what is the cure ?
Yes. The disease is called "lack of practice"

The cure is to get a copy of the driver's training manusl from your state DMV and read through the section on parallel parking. It's not really very tricky but you have to do it correctly.

Believe me, I've been there. One or two good practice runs and you'll be good as gold.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #1404
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you are having that problem in a striped parking lot, you may have a depth perception problem. You might want to have your eyes checked.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #1405
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you are having that problem in a striped parking lot, you may have a depth perception problem. You might want to have your eyes checked.

That might be it ! I have had my cataracts done and I have excellent vision .
Old 07-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #1406
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes. The disease is called "lack of practice"

The cure is to get a copy of the driver's training manusl from your state DMV and read through the section on parallel parking. It's not really very tricky but you have to do it correctly.

Believe me, I've been there. One or two good practice runs and you'll be good as gold.

What is really sad is this is just pull in parking . I haven't parallel parked in years .
Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #1407
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better IMO parking spots are getting smaller and cars/SUV's are getting bigger. I've noticed this in new stores/builds. Land is pricey and to get the necessary number of parking spots, they just make the stalls more and more narrow. I drive an Altima and sometimes completely fill the stall. It's easy to encroach into another space.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #1408
Give me a forum ...

Same as yesterday, I spent about 1 hour doing yard work, and just beat a retreat back into the comfort of AC. It's only 9AM. Temperature is 96F. I was feeling woozy.

Down the street, a neighbor is having a major backyard project. Could not see how many workers back there, but judging from all the debris they hauled out plus new material delivered and carried back there, they have been making a lot of progress. Can't see how people can work all day out in this heat, but perhaps they have no choice if they want to eat. Gah!

Then, I recalled in my late 20s, once took a week off on vacation to build an open patio in the backyard, covered with brick. Timing was all wrong, and I worked that week in 110F temperature, hauling a few pallets of brick from front to back and building that patio that I was super proud of.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #1409
Full time employment: Posting here.

I binged watch Ken Burns 'The Civil War' document series on Netflix. Quite good.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #1410

Installed six new smoke detectors to replace the ones that started giving false alarms last weekend, with four-month-old batteries in them. They're hardwired, the batteries are for backup.

I had also ordered six lithium batteries for them, figuring maybe they'd last longer than the regular alkaline ones. But the directions specify to NOT use lithium batteries! Does anyone have any idea why? If it matters, the brand is Firex, sold by Home Depot.

Somewhat to my surprise they came with batteries installed. I'm so used to "batteries not included" that it's pleasant when a product does come with them. I have to wonder if they'll last a year though.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #1411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I had also ordered six lithium batteries for them, figuring maybe they'd last longer than the regular alkaline ones. But the directions specify to NOT use lithium batteries! Does anyone have any idea why? If it matters, the brand is Firex, sold by Home Depot.

I think the lithium batteries are more of a fire hazard if you really have a fire
Old 07-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I think the lithium batteries are more of a fire hazard if you really have a fire
That would make sense - they were shipped separately from the smoke detectors in in an envelope with a big sticker "Not safe for air transport!" or words to that effect.

I knew the lithium-ion batteries are a fire hazard in aircraft but wasn't sure about any others.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #1413
Give me a forum ...

Got a notification from the travel insurance company that they are fully reimbursing me for medical expenses incurred during my recent trip in Scotland. Ironically, I only took out the insurance to cover the possibility of DW's elderly mom getting sick or dying and causing us to cancel the trip. The medical coverage was something that came along for the ride. Bottom line, it saved me thousands.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #1414

Had to let someone go yesterday and someone else this morning. Not a lot of fun. Especially when my chicken**** partner hired them but I had to let them go.

Just another nail in the w*rk coffin. Life is to short for this stuff.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #1415

Gym day for me (DW was having some mild vertigo so didn't go) and on the way home I stopped at Lowes to get some PVC brick casing for the rear sliding glass door. Driving home the thermometer in the truck said it was 101°F outside. I am not going to replace the brick casing today.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #1416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That would make sense - they were shipped separately from the smoke detectors in in an envelope with a big sticker "Not safe for air transport!" or words to that effect.

I knew the lithium-ion batteries are a fire hazard in aircraft but wasn't sure about any others.

Thanks.
Lithium-ion batteries are a fire hazard anywhere they are abused. But those are rechargeable batteries. Primary lithium batteries (used-once type) may be different, meaning safer.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #1417
Give me a forum ...

Traveled an hour and change to pick up craigslist find. 2 4'x8' solar air heaters. They will be installed at the camp. Temp was hitting 92F on the way back around noon. Stopped for coffe at my usual B&N and read Skeptic magazine. Once home took a 2 hr nap. Will wait 'till it is after dark (cooler, fewer people) then go get some food stuff at WallyMart.

My suburban did not start in the morning, likely the fuel pump, usually makes noise, not this time, so had to take pickup truck. I think I'll fixit with my checkbook. 40 gallon tank 3/4 full. No access from top unless chopping hole in floorboard.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #1418

I have spent the last few days facilitating younger son's ambition. He decided that now that he is driving he wants a job. We discussed places for him to apply and settled on a local senior community where he has volunteered (and where my step mom lives.). They know him and like him. He interviewed on Wed. And was hired. Did some if the paperwork for the work permit and did the physical/tb test/drug test. Finished the work permit process today and had his tb test read. Because he's a minor I had to go along to sign approval. (He gets the job and I have to work? Lol). Hopefully he will start his pre college career as a dining room server this coming week. In between he opened a checking account with some if his savings and was issued his first debit card. Lots of milestones.

I'm exhausted from all the hoop jumping, but he's very excited to be starting w*rk.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #1419
Give me a forum ...

Good for him! I was excited with my first job too, washing dishes in a restaurant. Socializing in a work environment is good training for anyone.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #1420

I did some repairs on my recumbent trike. Fixed a broken chain link after de-greasing it and the rest of the drive train, replaced the chain tubes, adjusted the front end alignment, and repaired the rear view mirror. Now I am ready to get back on the road for some exercise.

Cheers!
Closed Thread