Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #1601
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I feel like I live in a time warp.
Local stores have huge displays of Halloween decorations out this morning.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #1602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Local stores have huge displays of Halloween decorations out this morning.
Wow...they're cutting it fine.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #1603
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
.... I'm sick of being mister fix it all the time. I called a plumber. Waiting for a return call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of the luxuries of FIRE that I enjoy the most is having the resources to just call a plumber when stuff like that happens. I can do it and have done it when I had to, but I hate dealing with plumbing issues.

It's just so much nicer to say "the heck with it, I'll just call someone" and write the check when they're done.
That reminds me of a saying from some fix-it expert (I can't remember who)... that the best tool in your toolbox is your checkbook!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #1604
Full time employment: Posting here.

My second Monday in retirement. Unpacking and cleaning things up after a short windsurfing trip. DH is changing the oil in the van, and we'll be taking all our used oil to the recycling center today. Also made an appointment for Friday to take my mom's car in for a second opinion on some brake work. She wants (me) to sell it and needs to have her mind settled on whether or not the previous mechanic was trying to take advantage of her with his estimate. DH and I tried to talk her into selling as-is, but she's not having it.

Started a To Do list. Not sure if I'll use it, but at least it gives me a bunch of things I can put off until tomorrow!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #1605
Give me a forum ...

Split and stacked firewood.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #1606
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Completed washing and waxing the RV. Only worked 2 to 3 hours a day, not past 10 am due to 100+ afternoon temps. Took a total of 8 days, partially due to some extra work I had to do to the front cap to remove oxidation and get it to shine again.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #1607
Administrator

Worked in the garden, went to Walmart, made laundry soap, washed half of the downstairs windows and posted here.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #1608

Busy day today. Up early because the painters were here working on the back porch and deck and then had long discussions with DW about what to do about painting/color/not painting the new screen door and the existing porch glider and bench that are Amish-built out of pressure-treated framing lumber.

Then had to go to Sherwin-Williams paint store and spent gobs of money on paint because DW wants the same kind of paint the painters are using on the porch and deck to use on the door, bench, and glider, and got two new paint tips in smaller sizes for the paint sprayer. Lowes and Home Depot sell them for less but I figured whether they'd have the sizes I wanted was "iffy" and the paint store that caters to pros is going to have every possible size in stock, so that was worth a couple of bucks to pay the list price on them. It's not like I use a lot of those paint tips - one is good for ~20 to 50 gallons depending on the abrasiveness of the paint so it's a safe bet that I'll never wear them out.

Next stop was Lowes to pick up the screen door and an outdoor wall light fixture that I'd ordered online. Their web site said they had only one of the doors in stock so I figured that Murphy's Law being what it is, if I just drove there to get it I'd arrive just in time to see someone else carrying it out as I drove into the parking lot. This way I'd get an email confirming that they not only had it but that it was being held for me. It worked. Yay!

The two painters had carried the aforementioned Amish-built glider, which takes the proverbial "two men and a boy" to carry, down the stairs to the yard so they could paint where it had been. Then comes the discussion of "can we get it painted soon enough to get them to carry it back up the stairs?" before they finish the project. Then "Light dawns over Marblehead" and it occurs to me that by removing only four bolts I can take the glider off the base and reduce the weight that has to be moved at one time by nearly half. Sometimes I'm so dense it's embarrassing. This will make cleaning and painting the glider a lot easier too. When it comes time to put it back, me and one of the male neighbors will be able to easily move the pieces.

Anyway, the screen door has had the screen removed - I did have the foresight to get a screen door with a removable screen - and is now on sawhorses in the basement awaiting a coat of primer.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #1609
Give me a forum ...

Woke up in some pain from my right shoulder didn't say much to DW about it. We discussed two options for today, I suggested going to the springs, DW hiking in san juan national forest. She won. Off we went, me with a loaded Camelback, and her unimpeded with gear.

I tried a new, to me, application called Alltrails. I used it for guidance. I'm glad I thought I knew the easy trail behind our house. I'll learn more about the application before I need it. Has some great ideas but I'm not sure how to avoid a subscription. But I'm going to learn more about it.

We did the five miles around a forest trail. A little way in we met a wonderful forest elfe, she is our neighbor. Chatted a while, she apparently does 50 miles weekly out here. Lots of wildflowers, birds, and green growth. Last year was a brown disaster, this year a beautiful high altitude showcase.

Later we went out to Mexican and had a well earned margarita.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #1610
Give me a forum ...

I went surfing today. Strained some muscles and thought, "I'm getting too old for this," and that was just putting the wetsuit on!

Seriously, I got three great rides. I got about five fails because the muscles just didn't work fast enough. The waves were only three-feet high, which was perfect for me.

I talked with another guy, saying I think I'm getting too old. He said, "I'm 74, and I'm not too old for surfing."

But different people have different bodies.

And check this out: Reading a book after surfing. Best place ever for reading!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #1611
Give me a forum ...

TAl geat photo!

DW and I went to Durango for my eye surgery. I had a secondary cataract in my reading eye after the primary surgery 3 years ago. I needed it earlier but an optometrist suggested glasses, stupid me for listening. Today a YAG laser burned the cataract off of my capsule and I'm seeing much better already.

The doctor suggested I might be able to see better by tomorrow. I'm typing this on my phone and can see much better! Distance and near vision have improved greatly.

DW went to drive home and moral support. I drove home as my vision was so much better than the drive there.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #1612
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, I didn’t need an umbrella today. Boy, was I wrong!! ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #1613
Give me a forum ...

Two and a half years ago I had a colonoscopy done at a local hospital, the doctor who performed the test told me he couldn't see everything and we needed to repeat the procedure in 6 months. We had discussed and agreed where the prep must have failed in the first test. Six months later he had moved his practice.

When I asked to reschedule my then PCP told me "I've reviewed his results, no need to repeat the procedure. We will repeat in 10 years". When I mentioned my sister had colon cancer she backed up to 5 years. I said I wasn't comfortable with that she said 3 years! (some stuff is just too special).

I just transferred to a PCP who works with the doctor who performed the first test and mentioned this issue when asked about current testing. Today was my pre-colonoscopy appointment with him. Funny how he remembers, and documented, the same exact conversation. I needed a colonoscopy redone 2 years ago! I don't know what I did to make my prior PCP hate me.

About 24 hours post YAG surgery for a secondary cataract. My vision is still improving. I'm sorry for all the incorrect words in my posts.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #1614
Moderator Emeritus

Went to a friend’s wooded rural property, tore down his shooting tower, and moved it about a half mile to a better spot. Then came home and sprayed wet and forget on the roof of my workshop - trying to get bits of moss off the roof.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #1615
Moderator Emeritus

Played golf with DH for the first time in ten years (only eight years since I last golfed . We still suck, but still had fun. Pretty cheap on our county course so we’ll try to do it weekly til it’s not fun.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #1616
Administrator

Finished washing all the windows in the house, worked in the garden, mowed the lawn, went to the grocery.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #1617
Give me a forum ...

Figured out how to do a voice search in the Amazon Silk Browser that's in my Echo Show.

Went to the tech help website in Amazon, and was told by the third expert I talked with that it couldn't be done.

Ha!
Old 08-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #1618
Give me a forum ...

In the morning I went to an Asian market for dim sum and specialty grocery items like curry paste, seafood mushrooms and chili oil. Later on we made a nice dent in our decluttering efforts by getting rid some big items like a broken chair and an old mattress topper.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1619
Give me a forum ...

Swept chimney this morning before it got too hot.
Bought new chainsaw sharpener, 12 volt. My 40 year old dremel which was used as a sharpener died. Darn things don't last
Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #1620
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to a large country music concert at the local amphitheater last night. Beautiful weather and I enjoyed all the performers. So much nicer than the last one where it rained for 3 hours straight and the headliner showed up 2 1/2 hours late (and I left at 2 hours so missed it ). Am going to our monthly neighborhood cocktail party tonight so have to make an appetizer.