Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #1641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh my goodness walt, so glad he's ok. We have young kids and a pool and this is a huge fear of mine. I refuse to rent a vacation home near any body of water that's not fully fenced because of it. Can happen so easily.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Oh my goodness walt, so glad he's ok. We have young kids and a pool and this is a huge fear of mine. I refuse to rent a vacation home near any body of water that's not fully fenced because of it. Can happen so easily.
I gather that the pool is fenced, but the lock on the gate was broken such that a 3-year-old was able to finagle his way in. Even if the parents don't sue, I'll wager their health insurance company is going to come after the owner of the rental house for that expensive helicopter ride and associated costs.

Of course, all this is third- and fourth-hand information about an event that happened today so the accuracy might be just a tad off.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #1643
Gone but not forgotten

We went out to dinner and I had chicken Francese .It was to die for . Best Italian meal since I left New Jersey .
Old 08-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #1644

A brief follow-up on the grandnephew in the pool. Apparently he is none the worse for wear, although it was close. When he came out of the pool he was not breathing and neither parent was successful with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation although not for lack of current training. Grandma, DW's sister and a retired RN, was successful. He spent the night at the hospital and is now back with his family. Yikes is an understatement.

Today was a gym day for me, pick up a prescription, and take down the hardware for the dining room curtains. After the painting was done DW decided she didn't like the current curtains and wants new ones. So all the old hardware has to come down (couldn't use the old stuff of course) because the new curtains are different. And patch and paint the holes in the freshly painted walls. Good thing the painters left us a few gallons of the new paint, enough that I'm thinking of using it on one of the smaller bedrooms.

In the early AM before the heat came on strong we got the new screen door mounted on the back porch. While the painters were busy I was putzing in the air-conditioned basement painting the door, installing hinges and such, and we installed that this morning. DW is pleased. That's always a good thing.

Figured out how to assemble a spray paint shelter from Home Depot. I'd ordered it online and it arrived today. In hindsight maybe I could have gone to Walmart and bought a cheap tent and maybe even had a floor instead of having to use a drop cloth for about the same money. This does have good airflow through it for drying that a tent shouldn't, so it'll work. But when the pressure washer arrives (apparently UPS lost it, or more likely somebody stole it out of shipping, but it "disappeared") and this hot weather breaks I'll be able to clean up and paint the Amish-built glider we have for the back porch.

Oh, and I got an automated email today that I have a CT scan for my back at 10:00 tomorrow morning. Be nice if they told me where though, it could be at any one of three buildings, fortunately all close together, and I'll have time to clarify that before the appointment time.

Good thing I'm retired, I don't have time for that work stuff anymore.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #1645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
... Had a scare by phone with one of the grandnephews. They're on vacation down in VA, and renting a house with a pool. We didn't go because of schedule conflicts. Making a long story short, the three-year-old was found floating in the pool. Grandma there is a retired nurse and got him breathing again and he was airlifted to the Children's Hospital in Norfolk...
What a scary close call!

Here in Phoenix where backyard pools are so common, we read in the news all the time about newcomers having their kid drowned in the first or second day in town.

My niece has her daughter taking swimming lessons very early. It's amazing they can teach babies to swim.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Ups and downs
Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #1646
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ups and downs

Today DH went to the gym, while I stayed home trying to decide if I was getting a cold or if allergies were flaring up. Although I felt rotten, I did a serious dust attack on all areas of our room. Hoping that will make for a better tomorrow (also, spent some time deeply ashamed I'm such a meh housekeeper!). Still felt yucky so he went out for take-out/fast food fare for the first time in...I don't remember. I'm almost always a cook-at-home person.

After the all-out cleaning, I curled up and played my on-line game and he's having unstructured TV time.

Still better than a day at work. Or starting to feel throat-tickly and getting anxious about what that means to the coming work day. The bliss of taking it easy if you don't feel 100% when you're retired can't be exaggerated.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #1647
Give me a forum ...

Walt--so glad your grandnephew is ok, how frightening for everyone!

Tonights dinner was home made vegetable rice soup, fresh veggies from farmers market. Very Good.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #1648
Give me a forum ...

We went to Durango to talk about my neck with a surgeon. The guy is considered on of the best in the world. I can see why. He clearly explained my issues and what the best treatments are, at this time surgery is not my best option. Things may change in the future but right now I'm continuing aerobic exercise and PT as needed. I can have another cervical injection, if needed. He gave me some things to beware of. I'll see his PA in 4 months.

We have talked about buying a new Wrangler for over a year. DW has a very nice 2010 two door Wrangler Sahara, only 27k miles. However the two door is too small and the short wheelbase, light weight make it a horrible ride. We looked at the four door Unlimited in both Sahara and Rubicon models. DW didn't like the turbocharged Saraha(it was a sceamer) and wanted the Rubicon. We're a couple thousand dollars apart, they hadn't seen her trade in yet. She's transferring money so I guess we're going down there tomorrow to finalize the deal.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1649
Give me a forum ...

We have 2 old iPhone 3GS that we still use to stream music. I spotted the one sitting in a corner of the desk all puffed up with the glass screen pushed out of the frame and the back cover bulging and cracked. Didn't know how long it had been slowly doing that.

OMG. It's the battery. The phone was not even hooked up to a charger. My wife said the cord was bad. And so, the phone just sat there, and the discharged battery slowly inflated itself and exploded out of the case.

I cracked it opened to investigate. Yes, the battery has inflated itself like a puffer fish. Nothing much usable as spare parts because everything is so small. The little vibration motor fell out. Even that is small. I tested it, and it ran. That's about the only thing salvageable. I will keep it as a keepsake.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #1650
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I bought a BRINLY single bottom (pull behind) garden tractor plow from a local steam engine show at our county fair grounds for $60, and rusty. I dis-assembled it and took it to work, where I was able to use the blasting cabinet to remove all the old paint/rust/crust down to bare metal. I sprayed primer on all the pieces, and then sprayed color. I am now spraying clear lacquer to protect the paint, and make it shine.

I usually do 2-3 plow days a year (in the fall) where 20-30 guys will plow a farmer's field with our garden tractors....lots of fun, comaraderie, and good food at these events. No costs involved other than gas.
I finally got some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (455.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.jpg (614.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.jpg (534.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #1651
gone traveling

Here is the tractor I use, it's a 1978 John Deere 214 with electric lift, and knarly ATV tires for traction.

This picture has my old smaller plow mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.jpg (596.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #1652
Moderator Emeritus

1. Cut grass in backyard.
2. Cleaned carpets (Ugh!).
3. Ordered a new wheelbarrow (6 cu. ft.).
4. Took an old 40" flat screen TV to recycle center ($10 charge to get rid of).
5. Several dog walks in between all this.
6. Pulled my old medical records from the file cabinet to have with me when i see the Doc about my sore right hip. Assuming it's the same arthritic problem I had with the other hip, I'm guessing this Fall for hip replacement #2.

Outside of the above, the day went as planned.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #1653

Since it was cool and rainy here today, I caught up on some office stuff. Walked in the light rain with my DH in our neighborhood. We had a window to take back to Menards and that went ok. So not very exciting, but so relaxing. Soon I am meeting some friends for pizza, beer, and some good conversation.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #1654
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent another few hours in the woodworking shop on a couple of projects. The first was helping a friend prep and sand a slab of natural edge white oak. He's going to use it in his game room as a drink shelf near the pool table. The other was a working on a custom table I'm building for a specific spot in our house. It will have a black walnut legs with a book-matched curly maple top and shelf. The prototype only took 2 hours to built. The table will take at least a week to ten days.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #1655
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
Spent another few hours in the woodworking shop on a couple of projects. The first was helping a friend prep and sand a slab of natural edge white oak. He's going to use it in his game room as a drink shelf near the pool table. The other was a working on a custom table I'm building for a specific spot in our house. It will have a black walnut legs with a book-matched curly maple top and shelf. The prototype only took 2 hours to built. The table will take at least a week to ten days.
A great way to spend the day!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #1656
Moderator Emeritus

I built a 30" tall mounting platform for a friend's shooting tower. Installed the platform and tower on his hay wagon. Now it's too high for him to get into (due to age). Need to fashion a set of stairs.

Cut the grass and put down lawn fertilizer/ weed killer.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #1657

Busy day! Our hardwood flooring was delivered, and we are going to have to empty all the china closets and hutches.
It is an ill wind.... DW discovered she saved avery card we exchanged and put them in a drawer. Today they went into the trash.
I have a curio cabinet full from all my travels, and I will empty it and pack up everything.

Our biggest headache will be the den/office. We have 2 complete computer systems to pack up, along with the TV, satellite box and sound bar.

DW also got rid of her old Kenwood amp and CD player (boat anchors). We donated about 300 CD's to our local library.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #1658
Gone but not forgotten

We play trivia on Wednesday nights at our local pub. We usually do very good . We have come in first , second and a few thirds . It is so much fun !
Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I finally got some pictures.
Nice! I enjoy seeing photos of old machinery "brought back to life" like that. They just don't make stuff like that anymore.

Got a phone call from the Dr.'s office informing me that the CT scan shows I have degenerative disk disease, hence the back pain I've been experiencing and why we recently laid out $6k for having painting done instead of me doing it.

I am NOT liking this "getting old" stuff.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #1660
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wrapped up a multiple-day project to paint the cabinets in the master bath. Removed the doors (8) and drawers (5) and sanded them before applying two coats of paint. Due to the heat I could only work two or three hours each morning so it took me a week to finish up. Been putting off the job for months so I'm really glad to have it done.