Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #1961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New water heater installed. Took 3 and a half hours.

Filled and fired right up. No gas or water leaks. I rock!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #1962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
How wonderful for you!

Thank you! I am very fortunate.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #1963
Give me a forum ...

Drove north as far as the road goes. We went through a lot of open range and met some cool cows and wild turkeys. Some of the foliage has started to turn.20191008_112154.jpeg20191008_113425.jpeg
Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #1964

Had my last infusion today and that completes a whole year of active cancer treatment. It's been a very long long year. I hope to recover from much of the awful side effects and hope they are not permanent. Now it's 5 years of aromatase inhibitors with a new batch of nasty side effects.

Yuck , I'm ready for a new and much better year.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Had my last infusion today and that completes a whole year of active cancer treatment. It's been a very long long year. I hope to recover from much of the awful side effects and hope they are not permanent. Now it's 5 years of aromatase inhibitors with a new batch of nasty side effects.

That's excellent news! Congratulations on completing the year of treatment. That is a hard-won milestone, I know.

Here's to a wonderful year ahead for you.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post

Congrats. From one cancer survivor to another (10 years last Nov.!!), You CAN beat this...... Keep the faith and optimism, it is important....
Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #1967

I attended a 2-hour "informational seminar" about Medicare at the Family Medicine practice where my PCP practices. It's a public service they provide as part of their outreach to the community.

I am a year away from Medicare, but I'm doing my research now.

It was interesting, and although it didn't present a lot of new-to-me information, it did "put it all together" in one easy-to-navigate slideshow, which they emailed to all the attendees afterwards. They also had handouts and snacks - woo hoo!

The main presenter was from the local SHIIP office (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) and she really knew her stuff. I was surprised at some of the questions from the audience, but then I realized that not everyone has had the benefit of the free Medicare education I have received on this site from those who have "been there, done that" and been kind enough to share their knowledge with others who are coming up behind them.

They even had some pretty nice raffle prizes for those whose ticket numbers they called. My life long luck held firm there, and I didn't win a thing.

It was a good excuse to leave w#ork two hours early, and I did learn a couple of things, so it was time well spent.

If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...National/SHIP/
Old 10-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #1968
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

That looks like a very interesting/useful site. Thanks for posting!

I’ve bookmarked it and will share with friends. I hope it doesn’t stay buried in the “What did you do today?” thread (although it sounds like a great “thing to do”!).

Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

I’ve bookmarked it and will share with friends. I hope it doesn’t stay buried in the “What did you do today?” thread (although it sounds like a great “thing to do”!).
I hope it is useful to folks!

SHIIP also holds frequent informational sessions in public libraries around here (both daytime and evenings) which is convenient for folks who are still w#rking.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #1970

Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191009_081458_HDR.jpg (872.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20191009_082525_HDR.jpg (925.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20191009_083942_HDR.jpg (1.10 MB, 43 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)

Amazing, love the view, but I’m getting vertigo just from the pictures! Doubt I’ll go for a ride anytime soon,
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #1972
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to dentist.
Had first stage of root canal.
Getting old sucks moose balls.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #1973

Finished going through my work clothes pulling out things to give to Goodwill, and started going through some shelves for more things to get rid of. Found a bag of 1960s-vintage dolls, including a "Baby Secret" doll. Pull her string, and she says various things in a childish whisper:

"Is anyone else awake?"
"Hold me close and whisper."
"I like to sleep with you."
"I like to whisper in the dark."
"I want to tell you something."
"I know a secret. Do you?"
"Will you tell me a story?"
"My name is Baby Secret."
"Don't talk so loud!"
"Let's whisper, pss, pss, pss, pss."
"Listen, what's that?"

Innocent stuff in the 1960s, but today it seems that Baby Secret is high on the list of creepy talking vintage dolls. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to put her high on the value list.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #1974
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked out
Continued reading a really good book
Visited friend who vacationed in Germany and Norway to see her pics, hear her travel stories and catch up on what she missed state-side
Grocery run
Made roasted veggies, sous vide'd chicken and gelatin pan sauce for dinner
Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #1975

Played pickleball this morning (as usual) and ran some errands this afternoon. I forgot it’s a Jewish holiday so the kids are out of school, and the stores were more crowded than I expected.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #1976

Mounted a new medicine cabinet in the master bathroom. We took the easy way out and mounted it ON the wall instead of IN the wall. That way if we want to take it down to change it out later there are only four small holes to patch, not a two-foot by 18-inch hole, or whatever it is, to patch.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #1977
Give me a forum ...

Slept late at the camp. Cut up several logs I dragged out of the woods. This batch is for next winter's firewood.
Admired the blizzard of leaves flying as gusts of wind came through.
Had lunch on the deck.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #1978
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I attended a 2-hour "informational seminar" about Medicare at the Family Medicine practice where my PCP practices. It's a public service they provide as part of their outreach to the community.

I am a year away from Medicare, but I'm doing my research now.

It was interesting, and although it didn't present a lot of new-to-me information, it did "put it all together" in one easy-to-navigate slideshow, which they emailed to all the attendees afterwards. They also had handouts and snacks - woo hoo!

The main presenter was from the local SHIIP office (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) and she really knew her stuff. I was surprised at some of the questions from the audience, but then I realized that not everyone has had the benefit of the free Medicare education I have received on this site from those who have "been there, done that" and been kind enough to share their knowledge with others who are coming up behind them.

They even had some pretty nice raffle prizes for those whose ticket numbers they called. My life long luck held firm there, and I didn't win a thing.

It was a good excuse to leave w#ork two hours early, and I did learn a couple of things, so it was time well spent.

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...National/SHIP/
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Thank you for sharing that site with us, Calico. And thank you, Steelyman, for spurring us to create a new thread in the FAQ sub-forum called "Useful Medicare Information", with Calico's as the inaugural post.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thank you for sharing that site with us, Calico. And thank you, Steelyman, for spurring us to create a new thread in the FAQ sub-forum called "Useful Medicare Information", with Calico's as the inaugural post.

I'm glad that my post was deemed useful enough to be included in the FAQs.

And look at that - it only took me 1,201 posts to start my first thread - without even knowing it!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #1980

Renewed my driver's license. First time I actually went into DOL office to take an eye test etc. after some ten years. (My license was renewed online some five years ago without needing an eye test.) For the past 30 years my license had a "needs to wear glasses" restriction. This time I passed the eye test, so I no longer have that restriction noted on my license. I can now legally drive without glasses. I'm guessing that because I have done a lost less w*rk-related reading since I retired nine years ago, my eyesight has improved a bit. (I haven't had my vision prescription renewed in some nine years.) Yippee!
Closed Thread